• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot Bought Up by Corelle

Toliver

"Instant Pot is merging with the owner of Pyrex"

The maker of the popular Instant Pot is merging with Corelle Brands, the two companies announced Monday.

The financial terms of the merger were not disclosed. It is expected to be completed during the second quarter of 2019.

Will this be a good thing?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

24 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I saw this earlier and wondered the same thing!   🙂

Maybe give them more money for R & D?  

Being a Kickstarter(?) campaign, the IP people had an incentive to keep improving the Pot and its functions to spur sales. Will this pattern of product improvement continue under Corelle? Will Corelle care enough to continually improve the I-Pot or will they reach a version of the I-Pot and say "Good enough" and leave it at that?

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

19 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Being a Kickstarter(?) campaign, the IP people had an incentive to keep improving the Pot and its functions to spur sales. Will this pattern of product improvement continue under Corelle? Will Corelle care enough to continually improve the I-Pot or will they reach a version of the I-Pot and say "Good enough" and leave it at that?

I don't think it's a Kickstarter baby. According to this NYTimes article, it was funded almost entirely by the company's CEO and founder. There doesn't seem to be any lack of enthusiasm for expanding the Instant Pot brand within the original company, and the CEO is staying on, and staying in Ottawa. It seems more likely to me that IP gets access to Corelle's international markets and distribution channels, and Corelle gets another famous line, probably significant additional cash flow, and yes, @gfweb, something new on which to imprint flowers.

Disclosure: my partner, @JAZ , has written Instant Pot-authorized cookbooks, but I did not consult her before posting this.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)
  • Like 3

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

OMG! 

Yuck!!! sick.gif

This may be a disaster!

I hope it's not ruined like almost all the Corning products have been ruined!

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

I don't think it's a Kickstarter baby. According to this NYTimes article, it was funded almost entirely by the company's CEO and founder.

Dave, thanks for the correction. Which makes the constant improvement of the IP even more admirable. I wonder if the CEO has any say as to whether it will continue to be improved upon at a similar rate now that Corelle owns it.

Tim Oliver

3 hours ago, kayb said:

More to the point, does it mean your IP will shatter into a bazillion pieces if you drop it?

I'm sure it will be fine unless you get it hot.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Perhaps you haven't seen this Instant Pot version yet?   🙂 

(not very pretty, in my eyes, but I'm sure some people would disagree)

Instant Pot Pioneer Woman LUX60 Breezy Blossoms 6 Qt 6-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Saute, Steamer, and Warmer

Or this one

Hero-6.jpg

I'm amazed at how horrifying I find this.

But I do.

I suppose you can cook and serve in it.

But jello doesn't need a PC....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

this hopefully does not signify that iPots have reached the end of their development.

after all ,  for iPot functions , its fairly complete now.

I have a spare or two , purchased on deep sale , still in the carton

just in case.

maybe the iPot Crew is on the way to Bora Bora to join the Anova Crew on the beach ?

at least the iPot Crew has not yet promised a Combi-Oven.

if they got a big pay-day , its one they truly deserve.

so the answer to what's next for iPot might be determined by how much money the iPot team it

taking out of the new combined team.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

if the iPot crew ends up w 2 Big Bills

I salute them as the iPot is truly a wonderful easy to use kitchen item.

I now make stock , when I have bones etc   so easy to do , ever 2 x  , 3 x , 4 x.

I do a lot of pressure steaming veg , esp potatoes , beets , and eggs.

and have these items chilled and ready in the refit for this and that.

so congratulations , iPot team.

hopefully the various Dot.Gov's leave them all w at least a but of small change.

I suspect , the newer iPots might not be as ' sturdy ' and the current crop.

I have no information to support that 

but BibBiz these days has its eye on stock price , and CEO compensation from that stock price.

far more often than not.

• Like 2

NY Times article - I hope the emphasis on growth and expansion doesn't preclude innovation! 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/04/business/dealbook/instant-pot-corelle-pyrex.html

Mr. Wilkes [Corelle's chief executive] will be the chief executive of the combined business. Mr. Wang’s title will be chief innovation officer. Instant Brands will keep its headquarters in Ottawa.

Although Instant Brands has already expanded its product lineup (its website lists 30 multicooker models, an immersion

circulator for cooking food using the sous-vide method and a blender that also cooks), combining with Corelle will give it the ability to expand internationally, Mr. Wang said in a statement.

“We are thrilled to partner with a global market leader in Corelle Brands as we look to embark on our next chapter of strategic growth and expansion,” he said.

• Like 2

Realistically they're probably nearing "peak IP" in the US/Canadian markets, so international expansion is an obvious next step. One or another of their new/upcoming products may yet be a solid hit, if not at the level of the IP itself, which in turn could be rolled out through the international channels once they're established.

As far as that goes, if the marriage proves disappointing, it's not at all unknown for acquisitions to be spun off again into standalone companies.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@FauxPas

thank you for the NYT's article

my copy is still bundled up in plastic

lets see what happens.

I view it in a particular way

based of Big Money These Days

more for them

less for us

I hope Im wrong

but we will see

the internet , has its fine uses

but

it can really fluff its self out

not just w '' fake news "

but 

manufactured 

" we are so thrilled "

your bank managers are more thrilled than you are

and that's their roll

not to take on any Kudos the iPot Team rightly deserves.

• Like 2