• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need to make a bad-tasting drink please

smithgirl

Dear Cocktail Gurus:

For the purposes of a book, I would like to make a bad-tasting version of the cocktail, Sex with an Alligator. The recipe I have for this beverage is: sweet and sour mix, melon liqueur, raspberry liqueur, and Jagermeister. I would like to switch out one of these ingredients, such that the final drink visually resembles the original, but tastes as badly as possible. The switch needs to take place at a bar, so using ingredients available at a bar (I would assume switch out one of the alcohols). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Being that I am generally ignorant regarding alcohol and cocktails, I have no idea where to start.

I appreciate all suggestions!

Thanks!

my stuff usually turns out bad when I put too much of any one ingredient or use really cheap ingredients or if it's stale 

maybe too much of the sweet and sour mix 

and buying a really cheap version 

I would taste the cheap sweet mix first to make sure that too much of it will be bad 

hmmm...if you were to tell us the reason for this intention of yours that would be very helpful too  

• Like 1

The reason is the customer is a creepy guy who requests Sex with a Crocodile, knowing it doesn't exist and that there are no custom drinks at this club. So the bartender purposefully makes him a bad-tasting variant of Sex with an Alligator.

2 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Fernet Branca instead of raspberry. 

That seems like an especially good idea because the club in my book makes drinks with vulgar names, and it seems this ingredient is also used in a drink called Hanky Panky. I will have to purchase some and give it a try. I have another bad-tasting variant in my book, and I had to make a bunch of different versions.

26 minutes ago, smithgirl said:

The reason is the customer is a creepy guy who requests Sex with a Crocodile, knowing it doesn't exist and that there are no custom drinks at this club. So the bartender purposefully makes him a bad-tasting variant of Sex with an Alligator.

Hmmm...it is the service industry and - at least generally - some people might have different social and economic backgrounds 

I hope he was rude enough as a customer to deserve his experience that I'm guessing he's paying for 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eugenep said:

Hmmm...it is the service industry and - at least generally - some people might have different social and economic backgrounds 

I hope he was rude enough as a customer to deserve his experience that I'm guessing he's paying for 

He's actually a really horrible person -- he becomes a main character. And the bartender doesn't charge him for the bad-tasting variants.