• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

On 3/5/2019 at 6:44 AM, lemniscate said:

Tillreda, I think I'll pick one up on my next expedition there.   My Burton is showing its age badly.

Does a 1500 or 1800 watt single hob fulfill all your stovetop needs?  Is your Max Burton acceptably even-heating under your cookware?  If so, this makes sense. 

I have 3 different induction hotplates, and I would be very unhappy if I had to give up my ranges.  I think for 80% of what I do, 90% of the time, I could probably accept a double induction hob, and there are some good commercial versions that are stowable.  But I would want 220v/3500W, and I would definitely want it built in.

Everyone thinking of the "lab" concept should also consider case height and clearances.  The 220v commercial units worth getting are tall (mine stands >6" off the counter and has a 39" overhead clearance to combustibles).  They need big cases and wide clearances for ventillation/cooling/longevity reasons, so many home cooks would be disappointed to learn there isn't a lot of flexibility as to where you can put them.  6" above your existing counter, with a tall pot isn't fun or safe for a short cook; nor is building out all your counters 6" too low.   Even if you want to go this route, it makes sense to put the appliance on a shorter table or in a well space built into the regular-height countertop.  

In any case, I think most cooks, home or pro, would end up using the appliance in only one place, even if they had more locations to choose from.

Then there's home resale value to consider...       

boilsover

boilsover

Tillreda, I think I'll pick one up on my next expedition there.   My Burton is showing its age badly.

Does a 1500 or 1800 watt single hob fulfill all your stovetop needs?  Is your Max Burton acceptably even-heating under your cookware?  If so, this makes sense. 

I have 3 different induction hotplates, and I would be very unhappy if I had to give up my ranges.  I think for 80% of what I do, 90% of the time, I could probably accept a double hob, and there are some good commercial versions that are stowable.  But I would want 220v/3500W, and I would definitely want it built in.

Everyone thinking of the "lab" concept should also consider case height and clearances.  The 220v commercial units worth getting are tall (mine stands >6" off the counter and has a 39" overhead clearance to combustibles).  They need big cases and wide clearances for ventillation/cooling/longevity reasons, so many home cooks would be disappointed to learn there isn't a lot of flexibility as to where you can put them.  6" above your existing counter, with a tall pot isn't fun or safe for a short cook; nor is building out all your counters 6" too low.   Even if you want to go this route, it makes sense to put the appliance on a shorter table or well, built into the regular-height countertop.  

In any case, I think most cooks would end up using the appliance in only one place, even i they had more locations to choose from.

boilsover

boilsover

I have 3 different induction hotplates, and I would be very unhappy if I had to give up my ranges.  I think for 80% of what I do, 90% of the time, I could probably accept a double hob, and there are some good commercial versions that are stowable.  But I would want 220v/3500W, and I would definitely want it built in.

Everyone thinking of the "lab" concept should also consider case height and clearances.  The 220v commercial units worth getting are tall (mine stands >6" off the counter and has a 39" overhead clearance to combustibles).  They need big cases and wide clearances for ventillation/cooling/longevity reasons, so many home cooks would be disappointed to learn there isn't a lot of flexibility as to where you can put them.  6" above your existing counter, with a tall pot isn't fun or safe for a short cook; nor is building out all your counters 6" too low.   Even if you want to go this route, it makes sense to put the appliance on a shorter table or well built into the regular-height countertop.  

In any case, I think most cooks would end up using the appliance in only one place.