• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

I've found thicker crema in our local mercado--not a store brand like Lala. They tend to be from local cultures and are quite a bit more sour than the store brands. Generally they're sold in plastic cups in various sizes with plastic-wrap on top held in place with a thin rubber band. Store brands are handy but when I want something with real flavor I buy crema in the mercado. The vendors also sell cheeses. Look in your local mercado to see if you can find this, or in a supermercado deli section. Try that and see if you like the result.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

I've found thicker crema in our local mercado--not a store brand like Lala. They tend to be from local cultures and are quite a bit more sour than the store brands. Generally they're sold in plastic cups in various sizes with plastic-wrap on top held in place with a thin rubber band. Store brands are handy but when I want something with real flavor I buy crema in the mercado. The vendors also sell cheeses. Look in your local mercado to see if you can find this, or in a supermercado that sells cheese and crema. Try that and see if you like the result.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro