• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

5 hours ago, KennethT said:

Self defrosting freezers have heater wires embedded in the sides - they periodically turn on (while the compressor is off).  While it doesn't raise the temp of the freezer in general, anything located right next to the wall will definitely be affected more than it would be in a non-self defrosting freezer that has a much more stable (and usually lower) temperature.  Also, laydown freezers don't warm up nearly as much when the lid is opened than when an upright freezer has its door opened.

I don’t think that’s exactly right. I’ve been led to understand that interior of the freezer defrosts by sublimation and the mechanics of the freezer, which are outside of the freezer chamber, defrost with heat. @dcarch?

gfweb

gfweb

5 hours ago, KennethT said:

Self defrosting freezers have heater wires embedded in the sides - they periodically turn on (while the compressor is off).  While it doesn't raise the temp of the freezer in general, anything located right next to the wall will definitely be affected more than it would be in a non-self defrosting freezer that has a much more stable (and usually lower) temperature.  Also, laydown freezers don't warm up nearly as much when the lid is opened than when an upright freezer has its door opened.

I don’t think that’s exactly right. I’ve been led to understand that interior of the freezer defrosts by sublimation and the mechanics of the freezer, which are outside of the freezer chamber, defrost with heat.