• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

John DePaula

John DePaula

1 hour ago, akonsu said:

Thanks! This is a great idea, I did not think of that. My oven heats to about the same temperature with the light on. I think it can just put the moulds there before using them. Also, this is perhaps a stupid question, but why do we need to heat the moulds? I mean we are not talking about moulds just taken from a fridge, they are usually kept at room temperatures, so why is this needed?

I believe that the closer your molds are to the temperature of the chocolate when you fill them, the better result you'll get e.g. a reduction in release marks.  And also, you get a little more working time to shake out bubbles if your chocolate doesn't begin immediately solidifying when you add it to the mold.
I also used my oven to "proof" the chocolate molds.  I didn't like using a heat gun because it would not heat the mold evenly.

John DePaula

John DePaula

1 hour ago, akonsu said:

Thanks! This is a great idea, I did not think of that. My oven heats to about the same temperature with the light on. I think it can just put the moulds there before using them. Also, this is perhaps a stupid question, but why do we need to heat the moulds? I mean we are not talking about moulds just taken from a fridge, they are usually kept at room temperatures, so why is this needed?

I believe that the closer your moulds are to the temperature of the chocolate when you fill them, the better result you'll get e.g. a reduction in release marks.
I also used my oven to "proof" the chocolate molds.  I didn't like using a heat gun because it would not heat the mould evenly.