• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How To Keep Small Items from Going Down The Drain?

gulfporter

I bought new standard tweezers to pluck errant bones out of raw salmon before cooking.  Worked like a charm!  

I normally throw my prep utensils, pots, pans, etc. into the sink as I go along; my DH is the dishwasher if I cook.  I threw the tweezers into the sink out of habit but quickly realized they were destined to fall into drain and cause some sort of plumbing issue.  

Before I decided to use standard "eyebrow" tweezers, I looked at longer kitchen tweezers on-line and decided they might not have the torque (is that the right term??) to pull out salmon bones (these bones need more than a standard "pull").  It seemed the grip area was too far removed from the end of the tweezers.

Am trying to think of what I might attach to the small tweezers so they won't get lost in the sink with a boatload of other items.  

I use mini (jewellers‘)  needle-nose pliers for that job. They work way better than tweezers and are less likely to become lost. At the same time I find it easier to just clean them and put them away rather than toss them in the sink because they are likely to rust.  Just another option you might consider.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What about buying something simple like a sink screen? (click) It'd prevent something small from going down the drain.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My kitchen sink has this. I think it may have come with the sink - I've never seen one exactly like that in the kitchen supply shops. It is good for catching all but the smallest food fragments and small utensils.

726533041_sinktrap.thumb.jpg.5c78e4f04b2bddb4adab62075b35c89f.jpg

As for fish bone removal, I have been using these fish boning tweezers for about fifteen years. They were sold specifically for the purpose, work very well and cost less than peanuts.

849090431_fishtweezers.thumb.jpg.effa4c1b0dac6aa360968387da5169b7.jpg

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

23 hours ago, heidih said:

Surgical instruments are also a cheap effective option. We use forceps at the Garden to deal with prickly cacti and small seeds and seedlings.  Same concept.

I like these in particular.   Smooth jaws and a short handle like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Webster-Surgical-Needle-Holder-Stainless/dp/B01JKTPOX4/ref=sr_1_10?crid=O4H2B1LBNPH1&keywords=needle+holder+surgical&qid=1551466096&s=gateway&sprefix=needle+holder%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-10

• Like 1

I ordered these as they had the lowest shipping cost to Mexico in the fastest timeframe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HC8X512/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 2