• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kerry Beal

Philips Avance Grill

Tonight I finished some chicken on the PAG.  The chicken had been cooked sous vide a while back and had been frozen.  It was put on the grill straight from the fridge.  Here are a couple of pictures, one skin side up, the other skin side down.  Because the meat was cold, it  took longer to come to temperature  and therefore it was little dryer than I would have liked.   Next time, I will heat the chicken up in a water bath before putting it on the grill.  I used the non stick one.  One thing I found out is that there is smoke released from the grill as our fire alarm went off.  We couldn't smell much of anything.  From now on I will use it under the hood vent over stove top.

20200111_185433.jpg

20200111_185401.jpg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Tonight I finished some chicken on the PAG.  The chicken had been cooked sous vide a while back and had been frozen.  It was put on the grill straight from the fridge.  Here are a couple of pictures, one skin side up, the other skin side down.  Because the meat was cold, it  took longer to come to temperature  and therefore it was little dryer than I would have liked.   Next time, I will heat the chicken up in a water bath before putting it on the grill.  I used the non stick one.  One thing I found out is that there is smoke released from the grill as our fire alarm went off.  We couldn't smell much of anything.  From now on I will use it under the hood vent over stove top.

20200111_185433.jpg

20200111_185401.jpg

Chicken on the Philips has not worked well for me.  Yours looks good though.

• Like 1

not to cause any trouble ...

chicken from raw on any grill is problematic.

I can see SV chicken from the refrigerator doing very well though

Two thin steaks cooked nicely.

Was aiming for 54-55C. Note the continuously recorded internal temperatures and that they were removed from the grill after 5 minutes but still overshot target temperature. Probably due to being so thin.  However they were very pleasant and fat rendered nicely. 

IMG_0894.thumb.PNG.397c528938ac2351c0410c253c49aead.PNG

IMG_0893.thumb.jpeg.ca890785bde6a4088f06681bbbc7f56e.jpeg

Edited by mjbarnard (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Meater plus,  you can see the probe sticking out of the lower steak in the photo. It connects via bluetooth/wifi so no need for wires and records the data continuously. 

There are all sorts of options for preprogrammed recipes, warning alarms, remote view etc, but I just use it to monitor the internal temperatures.

I was considering sous vide steak then finish on avance, but I thought quicker and why not try them grilled. I will use the sous vide followed by avance on a thicker cut of sirloin next time. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Guess what arrived on my door step yesterday?

Excited to see what trouble I can get into with this 

You’re gonna love it!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Guess what arrived on my door step yesterday?

IMG_7280.JPG.25b94a59ab5b48a6aa7672455894f4f4.JPG

IMG_7281.JPG.3b2e4549671523cf4c103706fc8d4fbd.JPG

Excited to see what trouble I can get into with this 

Wonderful!  You'll be pleased with it.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Guess what arrived on my door step yesterday

Proof that retail therapy works for the flu.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@Shelby 

Smoked MooseBurger I nominate :

make some Mooseburgers .  Chill   .   Use the stove-Top smoker while the MB 'a are still cold.

then grill on the PAG.   you want cold smoked so you don't over cook the MB's

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

make some Mooseburgers .  Chill   .   Use the stove-Top smoker while the MB 'a are still cold.

Sooooooo many possibilities....soooooo little time lol.  Yeah the smoker + PAG= YUM

• Delicious 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

@Shelby I don't know if I wrote about this, but I've done this with burgers and other grilled foods many times when grilling indoors on a grill pan.  The grill pan doesn't give you that same charcoal-y grilled flavor, so a little pre-smoking does the trick, if not adding more for cleanup...

• Thanks 2