• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I found that the spacing on the s/s grill too wide.  For example, if doing asparagus, if you aren't diligent about how you move them, they can fall through the grate.  I have attached a picture in case that helps.

20200103_115241.jpg

From the photograph it seems the width of the spacing between is even greater on the stainless steel grill than on the nonstick grill.  I was expecting something that would look much more like a cooling rack so that small shrimp or other small items would not fall through.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm thinking something like this: Kingrol 6 Pack Non-Stick BBQ Grill Mesh Mat, 15.75” x 13"

or this: PhatMat Non Stick Grill Mesh Mats - Set of 2  

would work well.

I have some mesh for my smoker like the former, but too large for the PAG.  I may cut one down to experiment.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon links to be eG-friendly (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I found that the spacing on the s/s grill too wide.  For example, if doing asparagus, if you aren't diligent about how you move them, they can fall through the grate.  I have attached a picture in case that helps.

20200103_115241.jpg

Thanks!  I too expected the stainless steel grill to have narrower spacing than the non-stick.  Now there's one less kitchen toy that I wish I had.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 1/2/2020 at 8:38 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd worry that the stainless steel wire grill offer for $149 was either used or gray market goods.  Good price though.

On 1/3/2020 at 8:10 AM, blue_dolphin said:

It's quite possible.  I'm hoping they got a good deal on a bundled product and are passing it on but something else could happen!

The vendor describes themselves as, "an authorized dealer of new goods, certified refurbisher and reseller of high-end home and electronic products." They have 95% positive reviews on Amazon (only 450 some reviews though) but they have clearly stated policies, which some shady vendors skip.  Some reviews mention concern about purchasing a refurbished item which made me think that the vendor would have disclosed that if it were the case. 

It was shipped yesterday (free, but not Prime shipping) and I'll report when it arrives. 

My Philips grill (this one - with the extra rack) arrived today and an inaugural sausage was grilled to test it out.  It was in the original packaging and I could find no evidence that it had been opened or used so I'm assuming it's new.  Works fine.  

• Like 4

On 1/3/2020 at 1:18 PM, Anna N said:

From the photograph it seems the width of the spacing between is even greater on the stainless steel grill than on the nonstick grill.  I was expecting something that would look much more like a cooling rack so that small shrimp or other small items would not fall through.  

Yes, the spacing on the wire grill is wider than the non-stick one.  It would be much more useful if the spacing was closer.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin

to review

Im so weak

would you buy the PAG

at the $ 149 price again ?

Im not keen on ' used '  unless its books etc

but I might get this 

as i can pass it off on a friend 

Hee Hee

if I don't use it

suprise.gif.228b991f73a7104c07cfbebda7de0c26.gif

drunk.jpeg.6d25f3dd119f9c56ac0eedb135ba6a80.jpeg

Yeah, I think that's a fair price for it. The vendor shipped it out via FedEx the same day that I ordered so I ended up with 2-day delivery, even though they predicted longer. And it's new, as I hoped.  I grilled another sausage today - it came out great and no spatters all over the stove. I will definitely be finding an accessible spot for this where I can pull it out for easy use. 

I certainly wouldn't pay MORE for that extra rack but when I ordered, $149 was the lowest price for a new unit.  It's $159 for a new unit without the extra rack and $169 with no rack but a bonus cleaning tool.  "Renewed" units as Amazon now calls them are $129, with or without the extra rack. 

The grill has been as low as $129, so if you want a rock bottom price, you could set up an alert on camelcamelcamel and hope it comes around again. 

I'm still dithering on the rotisserie but leaning against.  It's still $79 on BB&B with a coupon.  Not sure I will use it that much and I have some concerns about what impact long cooks like that would have on the overall lifespan of the grill. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@blue_dolphin 

Im guessing that Long Term Cooks

will well do what they do

the rotisserie is a different matter 

do you enjoy a chicken roating around in side your house

so that so manny flavors and smells 

lightly permeating your thoughts about your 

dinner ?

well then that might be  it

I can do vertical chicken outside 

so  Im going to do my best to keep it that way.

for now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Im guessing that Long Term Cooks

will well do what they do

Yes, but these are basically light bulbs and light bulbs usually have some sort of life span.  It seems like 12 min to cook a sausage or a few vegetables is different from a couple of hours at a time for a fat chicken!

But who knows? Maybe giving them an extend burn will actually lengthen their life span?

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 3:11 PM, KennethT said:

Do you need to use a special spatula with it, or are standard metal tools ok?

Since apparently no one's answered, I would be careful about metal tools.  I use silicone or similar myself.  Though where appropriate I've been known to employ a fork, not letting the tines contact the grill surface.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I grilled another sausage today - it came out great and no spatters all over the stove.

That is magic talk! You are the second credible source, the other being @JoNorvelleWalker, that has proclaimed this contraption, not only smoke-free, but splatter-free. I have harangued at length about my real disdain for cleaning grease spatters in this forum. I also love freshly prepared and perfectly cooked grilled meat, but it's a lot of work with a charcoal grill. So many vegetables, like the one you all have been showing are also enhanced by grilling. I would also add mushrooms that can be enhanced a lot by grilling.

This grill sounds like a miracle, too good to be true. Who am I to argue with success, though?

One might be showing up on my doorstep soon.

We can call it a PAG, like the marketing name, or maybe call it a PIG (Phillips Infrared Grill), since it seems to be very good at cooking pig meat and I just think PIG sounds better than PAG. Plus it bucks the marketing shtick! :laugh:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

> ^ . . ^ <

3 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

That is magic talk! You are the second credible source, the other being @JoNorvelleWalker, that has proclaimed this contraption, not only smoke-free, but splatter-free. I have harangued at length about my real disdain for cleaning grease spatters in this forum.

There are some grease spatters inside the unit. The tray in the bottom can be removed for cleaning or lined with foil. Thus far, I’ve been able to wipe spatters off the sides with a sponge. Not sure if they would eventually build up and be more problematic.

But so far, easier to clean up than doing the whole stovetop!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

That is magic talk! You are the second credible source, the other being @JoNorvelleWalker, that has proclaimed this contraption, not only smoke-free, but splatter-free.

I can also attest that it is smoke and splatter free.  Doing some pretty fatty lamb chops tonight, will see if they smoke or not.  

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

I've only done swordfish, sliced onions, steak tips, hamburgers, hot dogs on it; the only time I ever noticed even a whisp of "smoke" was with the hamburgers.  I wipe it down once it's cool; the nonstick grid is easy to clean; the drip pan was fine as well.  The sides definitely get more "stuff" on it but so  far it has been fine with a swipe from a soapy sponge.  I have the wire grid too; but I can't say that I'd use it specifically.  Maybe if  I needed to do two things back to back and couldn't wait to clean the non-stick. 

• Like 3

Here is the lamb chop.  It was coated with granulated garlic, salt, pepper and oregano for about 6 hours before cooking.  Cooked on the PAG for 6 minutes per side.  Basted with lemon juice around the turns.  I was attempting to emulate some lamb we had at a Greek restaurant (Kokkari) that was exceptional.  They came out very good and medium.  These were low quality chops on sale for $2.50/lb.

There was no smoke or splattering, despite the copious amounts of fat.  The house did smell of lamb until I cooked a meatloaf.

This will be my last cook on the PAG (or any cooking) for many weeks as tomorrow I am going in for some major back surgery and will be limited as to what I can do during recovery.  I will be lurking though!

lamb-chop.thumb.jpg.500ad5adc51492e4aaecce48e189ee2e.jpg

• Like 8

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My replacement delivery from W-S arrived lat night.

But, guess what?  What they sent me wasn’t the wire grill that was missing from my first shipment but an entire new grill!!!

Whaaa??   Now I’m not sure what to do.  I don’t really care about the wire grill but a whole new grill?

It just seems too much.

What to do?

ETA:  I know, I could give it to a friend but I don’t know anyone who cooks like me and who’d appreciate t fully.

ETA:  No, it still didn’t include the wire grill.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Sad 2

@lindag 

it was probably much easer for them to send a new grill

rather than what your were missing

but , did the new box have the SS grill ?

so you have  One and a Spare

you might run two at a time

Veg // meats 

or just save the second one just in case

My grocery order this week included ground chuck which I intended for hamburgers.

Unfortunately they subbed ground round instead.

I made up some patties this afternoon with an assortment of seasonings; s&p. granulated garlic, dried onion, onion powder, paprika, cayenne.
Hamburger sandwich to be made on the PAG.  

• Sad 1

Actually the hamburger was really good.

I made up 5 4.5 oz. patties from the ground round and froze the other four.

I’m thinking it’s gonna be hamburger tomorrow as well!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Actually the hamburger was really good.

I made up 5 4.5 oz. patties from the ground round and froze the other four.

I’m thinking it’s gonna be hamburger tomorrow as well!

Indeed the Philips is truly miraculous if it can make round palatable.  Were it my grocery delivery I would have told amazon I ordered chuck.

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Indeed the Philips is truly miraculous if it can make round palatable.  Were it my grocery delivery I would have told amazon I ordered chuck.

Apparently they ran out of chuck and subbed the round for it.  

I put chuck on my order for next week but  made a note that they not substitute.

• Like 2

I resolved the problem with the new grill I was sent as a replacement:

I contacted W-S and asked them to have UPS pick it up and return it.  
I’m just not comfortable with keeping it.  And I don’t think I really need the wire grill.

• Like 7