• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill

Kerry Beal

18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@lindag, are you still happy with the PAG rotisserie or have you found a better option?  I see it's down to $49.95 on Amazon for the rotisserie alone.

To be honest, I haven't used it more than a few times.  I do like it but  have sort of forgotten about it since I moved.  Will definitely dig it out one of these days and give it a spin (no pun intended) again soon.  For $50 I'd say go for it.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, lindag said:

To be honest, I haven't used it more than a few times.  I do like it but  have sort of forgotten about it since I moved.  Will definitely dig it out one of these days and give it a spin (no pun intended) again soon.  For $50 I'd say go for it.

What's it like to clean?

25 minutes ago, lindag said:

I almost pulled the trigger, then I noticed the 3rd-party seller it's being offered by only has 5 feedback ratings.  The ratings are OK but still gives me pause. They seem to be offering mostly cosmetics and clothing.  

Just now, ElsieD said:

What's it like to clean?

The whole grill or just the rotisserie?

Pretty much everything can go in the d/w although the grill base is rather big.

But everything fits.  Since I no longer have an outside grill it's nice to have.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I almost pulled the trigger, then I noticed the 3rd-party seller it's being offered by only has 5 feedback ratings.  The ratings are OK but still gives me pause. They seem to be offering mostly cosmetics and clothing.  

I wouldn't worry...the rotiss is well made and has simple parts.  As long as it's made by Phillips it will be good.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

May be a sign that it has been discontinued and the seller has bought a job lot of closeouts

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/philips-rotisserie-attachment-for-smoke-less-grill/

No longer available

p

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lindag said:

I wouldn't worry...the rotiss is well made and has simple parts.  As long as it's made by Phillips it will be good.

Good point.  

I went to order and the first seller's price had gone up to $90 but another seller was still at $49.95.  They have plenty of reviews, identify themselves clearly as a re-seller and I've actually ordered from them before so I'm good with giving them a shot. 

One rotisserie attachment sold to me!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Phillips is still advertising it on it's web site.

My visit to Philips informed me that it was only available through their retail partners - WS was the only contact aside from Amazon

p

• Like 1

Just reporting back that the PAG rotisserie accessory (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that I ordered on Monday arrived on Thursday.  It's new, unopened in its original box.  Just need to get a bird to try it out but we are having a deluge and I have no other grocery needs so the bird can wait. 

If anyone else is considering this, it's still listed at $49.95 and the seller I used is Household Gear, a subsidiary or partner to Seattle Coffee Gear.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Just reporting back that the PAG rotisserie accessory (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that I ordered on Monday arrived on Thursday.  It's new, unopened in its original box.  Just need to get a bird to try it out but we are having a deluge and I have no other grocery needs so the bird can wait. 

If anyone else is considering this, it's still listed at $49.95 and the seller I used is Household Gear, a subsidiary or partner to Seattle Coffee Gear.  

I can't wait to hear about it!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2023 at 7:59 AM, lindag said:

@blue_dolphin, any updates yet on the Rotisserie ?

On 3/21/2023 at 8:57 AM, KennethT said:

Yes please!!!!

I finally went out and got a bird. This one was just a bit over 4 lbs, smallest one I could find. Maybe should have started with a couple of game hens. It was a bit off balance so I need to work on that.  My dad always put 2 birds on the spit, one breast up and one breast down to balance the load but this little rotisserie is 5 lbs max so that wasn't an option.  Probably should have pulled it off a bit earlier but I lost track of time. 

1542A34A-83E0-445B-A667-B0CEF9C393BF_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b910a6e905c52c253067420526807af2.jpeg

Also need to work on trussing better 🙃

CF51F2EB-2A97-4884-91F4-F5663DB0FEEC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b57086ece6c5f8338ec4adb7be0cdfee.jpeg

I ate the wings and drumsticks.  Both good.  

Household Gear, the seller I purchased from still has them listed on Amazon for $49.95.  

So far, this is one expensive chicken, but the thing has potential!

Edited by blue_dolphin
missing words (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I finally went out and got a bird. This one was just a bit over 4 lbs, smallest one I could find. Maybe should have started with a couple of game hens. It was a bit off balance so I need to work on that.  My dad always put 2 birds on the spit, one breast up and one breast down to balance the load but this little rotisserie is 5 lbs max so that wasn't an option.  Probably should have pulled it off a bit earlier but I lost track of time. 

1542A34A-83E0-445B-A667-B0CEF9C393BF_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b910a6e905c52c253067420526807af2.jpeg

Also need to work on trussing better 🙃

CF51F2EB-2A97-4884-91F4-F5663DB0FEEC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b57086ece6c5f8338ec4adb7be0cdfee.jpeg

I ate the wings and drumsticks.  Both good.  

Household Gear, the seller I purchased from still has them listed on Amazon for $49.95.  

So far, this is one expensive chicken, but the thing has potential!

Nice. How was cleanup after that? Did it make a lot of smoke?  Did you happen to get a couple of shots of it in action?

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Nice. How was cleanup after that? Did it make a lot of smoke?  Did you happen to get a couple of shots of it in action?

I put the rotisserie base and forks in the dishwasher.  Could have easily washed them up with soap and warm water in the sink as I did with the spit. 

Cleaning the grill itself isn't really any different from usual.  There's a bit more grease on the angled reflector and the glass that covers the bulbs but not too much.  I generally use this thing for vegetables, shrimp and the occasional sausage so it stays pretty clean.  

Zero smoke.  The drippings go straight down into a removable tray that's not heated.  Having it on for that long (~ 90 min) does generate a good bit of heat which could easily be addressed with an exhaust fan.  In my case, the cord isn't long enough to let me set the grill on the cooktop where the exhaust fan (that I don't have anyway) would be most effective. 

Sorry, no action shots. There's a little video in one of the Amazon reviews.  Not sure if that link will take you to it.  It was submitted by Skilos on Aug 8, 2020.  Edited to add that I think Skilos must have a pet bird as I don't think that screech sound is coming from either the chicken or the rotisserie. 

Back to the drippings.  I usually keep the drip tray covered with aluminum foil for easier clean up and I didn't bother to change it out before this cook because I figured it was just going to get dirtier but I wish I had because I could have had some nice, clean chicken fat to save.  

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Thanks 3