• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill

Kerry Beal

I grilled scallops, for what that's worth.  I threaded them on metal skewers and they were great.  I don't remember if I brushed them with melted butter or olive oil, or left them plain.  I hadn't cooked them the day I got them (or the day after) and it was cook them that day or not at all. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Tried something new on the PAG - grilled cabbage quarters.  Also with thick pork chop with maple-bourbon glaze and carrots.  All were cooked for 20 minutes total.  The cabbage and carrots were tossed in a small amount of EVO along with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Very tasty and will do that again.

pag-chop3.jpg.aa9f30000e0d41c447c482182f41d193.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

• 1 month later...

Steak last night and I noticed my Philips is becoming less non-stick.  Indeed the steak stuck such that it was more done than I would have liked.  Yes, my grill goes through the dishwasher a lot.  Anyone else noticing an increase in stick?

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've always washed it by hand, and once or twice I foolishly used a knife to cut some salmon while it was on the grid and it definitely harmed the finish :( I might dig out the stainless  grill and see how it works.

ETA: I just looked up replacement parts, the nonstick grid is $47 and change....

Edited by JeanneCake
to add info about replacement parts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Refurbished Philips Avance grills are $90 on eBay right now — $99 minus a $10 auto-applied coupon.

No personal experience with the seller, but they are apparently a sibling company to SeattleCoffeeGear which has a great reputation for refurbished espresso machines. And the warranty appears to be a third-party (Allstate) two year replacement policy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to try roasting veggies in the grilling bags.  Brussel's sprouts, tossed in olive oil with salt and pepper and then grilled in the bag for 20 minutes (10 minutes per side).  Very nice and the bag cleaned up easily.

brus-bag.jpg.f3b615b0c67409b174749b71825dc508.jpg

pag-brus.thumb.jpg.1df9f64cb5ec8efb3a7dda30693e5371.jpg

patty.jpg.91eb327989c317abc01628788a3cff75.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

25 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Finally got a chance to try roasting veggies in the grilling bags.  Brussel's sprouts, tossed in olive oil with salt and pepper and then grilled in the bag for 20 minutes (10 minutes per side).  Very nice and the bag cleaned up easily.

brus-bag.jpg.f3b615b0c67409b174749b71825dc508.jpg

pag-brus.thumb.jpg.1df9f64cb5ec8efb3a7dda30693e5371.jpg

patty.jpg.91eb327989c317abc01628788a3cff75.jpg

Where did you get the grilling bags?

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Where did you get the grilling bags?

I know you didn’t ask me but I can find them at Walmart.

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I got them on clearance from Bed Bath and Beyond, but I think they are readily available from any place that sells grilling (outdoor) accessories. 

They clean up very easily with dish soap and water. 

• Thanks 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

45 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

bag or no bag - no way I could sell that level of charred BS to DW....

"fresh" on the stalk is now appearing in the market .  . . less char on tap,,,

Toss them in sweet chili sauce. Might work

55 minutes ago, palo said:

Not to rain on your parade Anna, but cheaper on Amazon - I ordered two  (10" x 10" - total $11.38 CDN) to use in BSO Air

p

Thanks but I was not bargain hunting but simply trying to answer a question for another poster. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2020 at 3:09 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Steak last night and I noticed my Philips is becoming less non-stick.  Indeed the steak stuck such that it was more done than I would have liked.  Yes, my grill goes through the dishwasher a lot.  Anyone else noticing an increase in stick?

I wash the BBQ grill by hand, always.  And tonight I noticed that at least 6 or 8 rows are starting to show signs of losing the finish, on the top. It's not flaking so much as it's just peeled off in those small sections (you can't actually flake it off).  Anyone else see this?  We use the grill at least twice, sometimes three times a week - mostly fish, veggies, sometimes steak tips and this past week, the boys have discovered grilling burgers ;) and they've had burgers (beef and turkey) three times in five days 🙄

I'm ordering another grid and while I'm at it, another drip pan.  I know the drip pan is pretty easy to clean but sometimes having a second one would come in handy. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

are these the current versions of the PAG ?

They certainly look identical to the PAG that I own but I don't know how to judge what is most current. 

24 minutes ago, rotuts said:

and was there or was there not 

back when 

an accessory that did a rotisserie 

on to of this grill ?

There was and still is a rotisserie accessory (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2020 at 1:05 PM, lindag said:

I’m pretty impressed with the rotisserie attachment.  It is SO easy to clean and store!

it foldS down and takes little room in the d/w.  And, my chicken was great and I’m planning to do another one this weekend (now that I know how to truss property).  That’s a great price.

@lindag, are you still happy with the PAG rotisserie or have you found a better option?  I see it's down to $49.95 on Amazon for the rotisserie alone.