• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill

Kerry Beal

Tonight I finished some chicken on the PAG.  The chicken had been cooked sous vide a while back and had been frozen.  It was put on the grill straight from the fridge.  Here are a couple of pictures, one skin side up, the other skin side down.  Because the meat was cold, it  took longer to come to temperature  and therefore it was little dryer than I would have liked.   Next time, I will heat the chicken up in a water bath before putting it on the grill.  I used the non stick one.  One thing I found out is that there is smoke released from the grill as our fire alarm went off.  We couldn't smell much of anything.  From now on I will use it under the hood vent over stove top.

20200111_185433.jpg

20200111_185401.jpg

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Tonight I finished some chicken on the PAG.  The chicken had been cooked sous vide a while back and had been frozen.  It was put on the grill straight from the fridge.  Here are a couple of pictures, one skin side up, the other skin side down.  Because the meat was cold, it  took longer to come to temperature  and therefore it was little dryer than I would have liked.   Next time, I will heat the chicken up in a water bath before putting it on the grill.  I used the non stick one.  One thing I found out is that there is smoke released from the grill as our fire alarm went off.  We couldn't smell much of anything.  From now on I will use it under the hood vent over stove top.

20200111_185433.jpg

20200111_185401.jpg

Chicken on the Philips has not worked well for me.  Yours looks good though.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Two thin steaks cooked nicely.

Was aiming for 54-55C. Note the continuously recorded internal temperatures and that they were removed from the grill after 5 minutes but still overshot target temperature. Probably due to being so thin.  However they were very pleasant and fat rendered nicely. 

IMG_0894.thumb.PNG.397c528938ac2351c0410c253c49aead.PNG

IMG_0893.thumb.jpeg.ca890785bde6a4088f06681bbbc7f56e.jpeg

Edited by mjbarnard (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Meater plus,  you can see the probe sticking out of the lower steak in the photo. It connects via bluetooth/wifi so no need for wires and records the data continuously. 

There are all sorts of options for preprogrammed recipes, warning alarms, remote view etc, but I just use it to monitor the internal temperatures.

I was considering sous vide steak then finish on avance, but I thought quicker and why not try them grilled. I will use the sous vide followed by avance on a thicker cut of sirloin next time. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

Smoked MooseBurger I nominate :

make some Mooseburgers .  Chill   .   Use the stove-Top smoker while the MB 'a are still cold.

then grill on the PAG.   you want cold smoked so you don't over cook the MB's

Sooooooo many possibilities....soooooo little time lol.  Yeah the smoker + PAG= YUM

• Delicious 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

Smoked MooseBurger I nominate :

make some Mooseburgers .  Chill   .   Use the stove-Top smoker while the MB 'a are still cold.

then grill on the PAG.   you want cold smoked so you don't over cook the MB's

@Shelby I don't know if I wrote about this, but I've done this with burgers and other grilled foods many times when grilling indoors on a grill pan.  The grill pan doesn't give you that same charcoal-y grilled flavor, so a little pre-smoking does the trick, if not adding more for cleanup...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got my hands on a rib eye and cooked it on my Phillips grill last night along with mushrooms, an onion slice and a jalapeno pepper. All came out delicious, and it was nice to be able to grill indoors with no smoke and very little splattering. There was a very small amount of splattering around the top of the grill, but no where near the amount you would get pan-grilling a steak. The non-stick grill and drip pan cleaned up easily, but there was some spattering on the interior sides above the drip pan that caramelized and did not come off with a wipe. This will eventually build up and become a problem. Two of the affected sides are glass, I think, covering the light elements.

My biggest problem was it's impossible to see if your food is browning/done with sun glasses on. I eventually resorted to bending over at the control knob end of the grill to check the food at eye level. This blocks your line of sight to the lighting elements, but it sure is awkward, and I think I will have a hard time getting used to this.

@JoNorvelleWalkersaid she quit donning the sunglasses after the first couple times. Anyone else finding it a problem seeing your grilling food? Anyone finding ways to get around it? I wonder if switching off the grill while you check and turn the food and then switching it back on would work.

I thought about using tongs, but all I have are metal tipped. What worked well for me was a bamboo spatula and shallow-bowled spoon that I use for everything from stir frying to fried potatoes. They work together as two-handed tongs and won't scratch the non-stick grid. I would be afraid to use plastic tools for fear they would melt.

Also the instructions say for the model I have, the grill is hot and ready to use immediately. The other two models require 5-6 minutes preheat time. I dutifully put my food on right away, but I think the 5-6 minute preheat time will be the way forward, as the steak did not sizzle when I placed it on the grill.

@ElsieDmentioned covering the drip pan with foil. This sounds like a great idea, and would be my inclination. My instructions said not to cover any part of the grill with foil or use metal scrubbers because metal pieces could break off and cause a fire hazard. They also said putting the drip pan or the non-stick grid on wet could cause a fire hazard. Shoot, by the time I got through reading the lengthy safety precautions, I was convinced I would be simultaneously blinded, immolated and electrocuted the instant I switched on the device. :laugh: Seriously, though, it says not to operate unattended, and I believe that's good advice. The cord was quite warm when I unplugged it after use. Also probably not a bad idea to know where your circuit breaker for the appliance is. I'm not getting close enough to unplug it, like they instruct, if it does burst into flames.

Also, I will agree with others that the smoky grilled flavor like you get with charcoal or even gas is not present, and my fat was not crispy, like I like it. But, and it's a big but; for indoor grilling with minimal mess, this grill is great. I loved the grilled veggies, and the ability to have those more often adds a lot to the grill's value in my kitchen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

> ^ . . ^ <

43 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Also the instructions say for the model I have, the grill is hot and ready to use immediately. The other two models require 5-6 minutes preheat time

I think if you read closely you’ll see that those instructions are for the wire grill, not the wider non-stick grill. 

Also, I’ve used stainless tongs (gently) without any ill effects. 

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

• 3 weeks later...

Pork chops, char-siu style, cooked on the PAG.  These were about 1/2" thick and rubbed with NOH Char Siu powder for about 3 hours.  Grilled 5 minutes per side, basted first side with honey just before the turn, second side just after the turn and just before removing.  Yummy.

cs-chops-pag.jpg.66e7505fe53f77aa5de2780e77255a4b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

• 2 months later...

My first attempt at salmon on the PAG.  Used the regular non-stick grill (all I have) - didn't stick at all.  Cooked using the interpreted recipe timings from the Philips site. I say interpreted because it lists a 12 minute cook time, but the instructions say to cook for 8 minutes then flip and then...nothing.  So I cooked for 8 minutes then flipped for another 4.  It was very good, but a tad over-cooked to my taste, so next time I will do 7 and 3 maybe.  It was basted with orange juice right before the flip and a few times after.  Very tasty.  Served on a bed of lightly steamed spinach and a piece of my latest onion-dill rye bread.

pag-salmon.jpg.a616635766a0f2f10016824996c4d3fc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 8:12 PM, mgaretz said:

Pork chops, char-siu style, cooked on the PAG.  These were about 1/2" thick and rubbed with NOH Char Siu powder for about 3 hours.  Grilled 5 minutes per side, basted first side with honey just before the turn, second side just after the turn and just before removing.  Yummy.

cs-chops-pag.jpg.66e7505fe53f77aa5de2780e77255a4b.jpg

I got one of these grills along with an electric skillet for my 7 year old to start learning to cook on.   He would go nuts for these pork chops. 

• Like 1

I cannot tell you how much the kid loves that we have this grill.....it's going to get down to 38 degrees tonight and I didn't have to wrestle with the Weber outside so I am equally as thrilled 🥰

20200512_184034.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

First try at burgers on PAG.  These were frozen 91% lean 1/4 lb patties.  The instructions said best results by cooking from frozen so that's what I did.  5 minutes per side.  Came out with just a touch of medium rareness.  If you are looking for lot of char and crust, this isn't it and though there were grill marks, they were faint (sorry the avocado hides most of the burger).  But they were pretty good.  

pag-burger.jpg.d648f61925e07d8b897cce4ee131a46d.jpg

• Like 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com