• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill

Kerry Beal

Pork chops, carrots, sprouts and cauliflower, all done on the PAG.  Veggies were tossed in olive oil, balsamic, salt, pepper, granulated onion and garlic.  Chops dusted with salt, pepper, granulated onion and garlic and glazed with maple syrup.  Veggies were cooked for 20 minutes and chops for 10.  They all came out very well.

chop-pag.jpg.fc76439c3f6b63d3213ef531c69d788f.jpg

• Like 4

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

2 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

Just wishes it were bigger ;)

I am amused because I just wish it were smaller!  There is only me and about half the size would suit me fine.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, gfweb said:

CSO/BSO  + PAG + ANOVA + A couple induction things is still way cheaper than a stove. Is this the future?

Way cheaper than your stove.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Way cheaper than your stove.

Lol. Really.
But any half decent stove would be $1000 which is more than the above stuff. 

edited to add..

Oops, a stove is $500

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

CSO/BSO  + PAG + ANOVA + A couple induction things is still way cheaper than a stove. Is this the future?

I have a full induction range! I can’t use it mind you because the surface is covered by the PAG and the A4 box! There is no room for the Paragon there so it is occupying the only prep area that I have in my kitchen.  Something has to give. 

Whether or not this is the way of the future I don’t know, but for the longest time I had two induction hobs that sat on top of my ridiculously useless electric range. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My inability to find a convenient place to use the Paragon should put me off purchasing another appliance but seeing all the lovely grilled delicacies here and in the dinner thread is nudging me on.  If....IF....I decide to purchase, which one would you recommend?

There is this one: Philips Kitchen Appliances HD6371/98 Premium Smokeless Electric Indoor Grill plus Bonus Cleaning Tool, 2.3, Black @ $169.

For 20 bucks less, I could go for this: Philips Smoke-Less Infrared Grill Newest Model HD6372/94 Avance Collection with both Nonstick Cast-Aluminum BBQ Grid and Stainless Steel Wire Grids @ $149.

What say you experts?   Is the cleaning tool worth an extra $20 bucks?  Is the stainless steel grid useful?

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

My inability to find a convenient place to use the Paragon should put me off purchasing another appliance but seeing all the lovely grilled delicacies here and in the dinner thread is nudging me on.  If....IF....I decide to purchase, which one would you recommend?

There is this one: Philips Kitchen Appliances HD6371/98 Premium Smokeless Electric Indoor Grill plus Bonus Cleaning Tool, 2.3, Black @ $169.

For 20 bucks less, I could go for this: Philips Smoke-Less Infrared Grill Newest Model HD6372/94 Avance Collection with both Nonstick Cast-Aluminum BBQ Grid and Stainless Steel Wire Grids @ $149.

What say you experts?   Is the cleaning tool worth an extra $20 bucks?  Is the stainless steel grid useful?

I have used the stainless steel grid once, for chicken, and I lost the best part of it - the skin as it stuck like glue.  Haven't used it since.  The non-stick grill cleans up in a flash, just using soap, water, and a cloth.  No scrubbing required.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have used the stainless steel grid once, for chicken, and I lost the best part of it - the skin as it stuck like glue.  Haven't used it since.  The non-stick grill cleans up in a flash, just using soap, water, and a cloth.  No scrubbing required.

I found the non-stick grill really IS non-stick.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the input!  I decided to order the cheaper one that doesn't have the cleaning tool but does have the (apparently sticky) stainless grid.  

The rotisserie is $79.99 (assuming a 20% off coupon) at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  I like the idea and the chicken that @lindag made looked wonderful but I think I'll hold off on that for a while. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks for all the input!  I decided to order the cheaper one that doesn't have the cleaning tool but does have the (apparently sticky) stainless grid.  

The rotisserie is $79.99 (assuming a 20% off coupon) at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  I like the idea and the chicken that @lindag made looked wonderful but I think I'll hold off on that for a while. 

I’m pretty impressed with the rotisserie attachment.  It is SO easy to clean and store!

it foldS down and takes little room in the d/w.  And, my chicken was great and I’m planning to do another one this weekend (now that I know how to truss property).  That’s a great price.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

You will probably think of this yourself, but I line the bottom tray with tin foil.  Makes clean-up a lot easier.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'd worry that the stainless steel wire grill offer for $149 was either used or gray market goods.  Good price though.

It's quite possible.  I'm hoping they got a good deal on a bundled product and are passing it on but something else could happen!

The vendor describes themselves as, "an authorized dealer of new goods, certified refurbisher and reseller of high-end home and electronic products." They have 95% positive reviews on Amazon (only 450 some reviews though) but they have clearly stated policies, which some shady vendors skip.  Some reviews mention concern about purchasing a refurbished item which made me think that the vendor would have disclosed that if it were the case. 

It was shipped yesterday (free, but not Prime shipping) and I'll report when it arrives. 

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

this has probably already been asked :

why use a SS grill when the NS is so easy to clean ?

I wonder the same thing. 

Per Philips: This grid accessory is especially suitable for grilling delicate ingredients such as vegetables and fish.

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

this has probably already been asked :

why use a SS grill when the NS is so easy to clean ?

I don't know the answer to this.  My grill/roti combo was delivered without the wire grill although it was supposed to be included.  I contacted W-S and they said they'd have a  replacement shipped out pronto.  It still hasn't arrived.

I contacted W-S again and there was an error so it did not get shipped (as of Tuesday).  It's scheduled now to arrive either today or Monday.  I'll post back when I've had a chance to use it.  But, like @ElsieDI think it may not be necessary.

I don't cook a lot of fish so I don't know how soon I'll really need to use it.

BTW, the non-stick grid is VERY easy to clean.  A quick brush with hot soap and water and it's done.

@lindag 

looking forward to your report

so ' delicate '  doesnt do well on the NS ?

maybe the grate spacing is significantly different ?

ie closer together on the SS ?   so why didn't they make a second NS  w different grate spacing ?

Inquiring  minds want to know.

sort of .

Edited by rotuts (log)

I found that the spacing on the s/s grill too wide.  For example, if doing asparagus, if you aren't diligent about how you move them, they can fall through the grate.  I have attached a picture in case that helps.

20200103_115241.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@ElsieD 

thanks

I do not have a PAG

and until i can get some electrical work done in my Kitchen 

for more Amps , Watts , etc

it will have to wait

all I can say about the SS is that there is more area not covered

by " Grill "   wondering what that is supposed to accomplish

for the " delicates "