• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill

Kerry Beal

Didn’t get home in time yesterday to do my chicken.

Tonight I took my chicken out of the marinade and struggled to get It balanced on the spit.

Tied it up but one leg broke free.

Rotissed for 60 mins. Then checked and added another 7 mins. As this was a 5.5 lb. bird, heavier than I would have preferred.

I’m happy with the flavor and texture.  Not too much mess.

00A323E0-07CC-4982-A753-F8055D59F1EB.jpeg

5442D673-E752-4829-A0DA-0C6E92A17662.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

OK, I can't stop thinking about this grill and how I don't need it but I'd like one.

My son LOVES grilled swordfish.  I toss it in a little lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and parsley and he will eat a pound all by himself (he's 6' 4").  If this can do an amazing job with swordfish which means I don't have to fight the snow outside on the deck for the next four months, it's going on my gift list.  He also loves grilled whole Vidalia  onions but that's beside the point.

What say you who have one; will this do an amazing job of grilling swordfish?  I will make room for it if it can......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeanneCake said:

OK, I can't stop thinking about this grill and how I don't need it but I'd like one.

My son LOVES grilled swordfish.  I toss it in a little lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and parsley and he will eat a pound all by himself (he's 6' 4").  If this can do an amazing job with swordfish which means I don't have to fight the snow outside on the deck for the next four months, it's going on my gift list.  He also loves grilled whole Vidalia  onions but that's beside the point.

What say you who have one; will this do an amazing job of grilling swordfish?  I will make room for it if it can......

I've used the Philips to grill swordfish to my satisfaction.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

You guys are such enablers 🤣  I also bought a Soda Stream thing because I never seem to have enough seltzer in the house (I was lamenting the lack of seltzer when I spotted it on the Wm Sonoma site and figured since I was there, and with the 20% discount ....)

I'm probably going to need a kitchen cart, come to think of it.  I won't have to worry free-ing up counter space if I do that...

Thank you :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Things I have so far resisted:

The Phillips Avance grill.

An air fryer.

A Chamber vacuum sealer

An A4 box.

On the list of things I likely would not have bought, but for eGullet, and could not live without:

An Anova sous vide circulator

A CSO

An Instant Pot

A Thermapen

A pair of good Japanese knives

Innumerable small kitchen goods

Innumerable cookbooks

A healthy stash of previously unknown or at least untried in my kitchen ingredients

I also bought a Paragon induction hob, which I have yet to use, but I'm pretty sure once I get used to it, I won't be able to live without it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I discovered that I need lessons in how to truss poultry for the rotisserie.

I did a poor job here so I checked in at utube I found several really good tutorials in how to do it right.

Next time I'll get it done.

On another subject:  I now have some charred areas on the sides of my grill.  Any suggestions on how to remove that without scratching it up a whole lot?

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I discovered that I need lessons in how to truss poultry for the rotisserie.

I did a poor job here so I checked in at utube I found several really good tutorials in how to do it right.

Next time I'll get it done.

On another subject:  I now have some charred areas on the sides of my grill.  Any suggestions on how to remove that without scratching it up a whole lot?

I beg to help.  For trussing I recommend Butcher's Code ties:

http://amzn.com/B01HR30HT6

I have not felt the need for scraping my Philips but for scraping other surfaces (such as the CSO window) I use a

Kyocera:

http://amzn.com/B00012F0X4

My Philips came as an amazon bundle with a metal scraper.  That metal scraper looks dangerous.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I beg to help.  For trussing I recommend Butcher's Code ties:

http://amzn.com/B01HR30HT6

I have not felt the need for scraping my Philips but for scraping other surfaces (such as the CSO window) I use a

Kyocera:

http://amzn.com/B00012F0X4

My Philips came as an amazon bundle with a metal scraper.  That metal scraper looks dangerous.

My scrapers are plastic.

5BA0C9B9-7E9F-4E28-8A98-72F2639FAB2B.thumb.jpeg.2b40104a747de7b74dbadebe7f09732d.jpeg

pork chop, carnival squash and Campari tomatoes all cooked on the grill.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

5BA0C9B9-7E9F-4E28-8A98-72F2639FAB2B.thumb.jpeg.2b40104a747de7b74dbadebe7f09732d.jpeg

pork chop, carnival squash and Campari tomatoes all cooked on the grill.

I was going to ask which grill but then I noticed what topic I was reading.

Did you do anything special with your squash?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I was going to ask which grill but then I noticed what topic I was reading.

Did you do anything special with your squash?

Not a thing. Just brushed it with a little olive oil and seasoned it with salt and pepper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The brisket that I SV's a few days ago went onto the PAG last evening.  I am surprised at just how much I love this thing!

I didn't know what a great tool it is.  No grease, no spatter and , best of all, no lingering odors.  It's won a permanent spot in my kitchen.  I can see how it pairs really well with the SV circulator..

• Like 2