• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill

Kerry Beal

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Steak, asparagus.

Have steak (and also pork chop) ready and just got some asparagus and yellow squash to try.  Now it's up to Amazon to deliver it before dinner!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Alas, Amazon didn't show up until 6:45 and I had already put the pork chop into the SV bath.  Could have tried searing with the PAG, but didn't feel like rushing to unbox it.  I did decide I could have some grilled asparagus for dessert!  Tossed them in olive oil and tangerine flavored balsamic, salt and pepper and grilled them for 8 minutes.  Probably too long for how skinny they were.  But they were tasty.  Tomorrow I will try the steak and the squash and maybe a few asparagus.

Anybody try using the PAG for searing after SV and not for the full cook?

asparagus.jpg.bce2db55e65d52ccce6529e52a63c9e5.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

1 minute ago, mgaretz said:

Alas, Amazon didn't show up until 6:45 and I had already put the pork chop into the SV bath.  Could have tried searing with the PAG, but didn't feel like rushing to unbox it.  I did decide I could have some grilled asparagus for dessert!  Tossed them in olive oil and tangerine flavored balsamic, salt and pepper and grilled them for 8 minutes.  Probably too long for how skinny they were.  But they were tasty.  Tomorrow I will try the steak and the squash and maybe a few asparagus.

I get better results with sous vide protein in a hot pan or in the case of poultry, deep fried.  But for steaks or chops or most fish I like grilling on the Philips best.  And it's so easy and simple.  For raw poultry my choice is the CSO unless I want to drag out the Farberware rotisserie for a whole duck or chicken.

I'd love to see your results with squash.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Check my post of Nov. 3 in this thread.  I did chicken thighs, seared post sous-vide.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:31 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I get better results with sous vide protein in a hot pan or in the case of poultry, deep fried.  But for steaks or chops or most fish I like grilling on the Philips best.  And it's so easy and simple.  For raw poultry my choice is the CSO unless I want to drag out the Farberware rotisserie for a whole duck or chicken.

I'd love to see your results with squash.

As you wish...

Tri-tip steak and yellow squash cooked on the PAG.  The steak was OK, but I don't think it will replace my usual SV then sear.  I get less gray on the edges and more consistent internal temp with SV.  The squash was very good and I will be experimenting with more veggies and I think chicken tomorrow.  Both were cooked for about 12 minutes.  The squash was tossed in olive oil, balsamic and salt, pepper and a little granulated garlic.  There was no smoke so that was impressive, but the house definitely smelled of grilled steak.

After the second turn to get a crosshatch (2 minutes per direction).  I thought I would cook the steak for 8 minutes since I like rare and planned 2 minutes, turn 2 minutes, turn, flip and repeat.  But the steak was way undercooked per the instant read thermometer so I kept flipping and bye-bye crosshatch.

pag-grill.thumb.jpg.67a4bcceeeb50c8c168532eeac8a8da5.jpg

pag-steak2.jpg.0c2ec4e8f8f23a845c48d1efb7eecea3.jpg

pag-steak.jpg.7c3cb0f1def5d33f77f2be3da0dab607.jpg

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

Grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast and multi-color carrots.  The breast was marinated for a few hours in orange and lime juices with garlic, oregano and a tad of sriracha.  The carrots in EVOO, salt, pepper and garlic.  All was cooked for about 20 minutes - chicken flipped once, carrots about 4 times.  The chicken was good for indoor grilled chicken, but it comes out better in the BSOA when made shake n bake style.  The carrots were the hit.  So far I am a bit underwhelmed by the PAG's performance with proteins, but veggies are a hit.  Tomorrow I will try a pork chop.  I am questioning whether it's worth keeping just for veggies.

pag-chicken.jpg.54add726b197cc842c838aa03fcc669f.jpg

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

9 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast and multi-color carrots.  The breast was marinated for a few hours in orange and lime juices with garlic, oregano and a tad of sriracha.  The carrots in EVOO, salt, pepper and garlic.  All was cooked for about 20 minutes - chicken flipped once, carrots about 4 times.  The chicken was good for indoor grilled chicken, but it comes out better in the BSOA when made shake n bake style.  The carrots were the hit.  So far I am a bit underwhelmed by the PAG's performance with proteins, but veggies are a hit.  Tomorrow I will try a pork chop.  I am questioning whether it's worth keeping just for veggies.

That's disappointing to hear.  I don't sous vide so at least my proteins won't have that to compare it with.

My unit didn't appear until almost 9:00 last night so I had to improvise a different meal.

Today I'll have time to unpack and set it up so I can try it out with my skirt steak.

93A65E49-F9CD-4EAA-B9A5-3E6EDF572146.thumb.jpeg.35dca78f05159f1ec287de302730c90f.jpeg

Yukon Gold potatoes slabs. 

DC2CF871-1965-433C-ADEA-5838A9EF36AD.thumb.jpeg.289ab218260b1868d86bcc9f4d527034.jpeg

Zucchini and lamb chops getting their fat rendered. 

A1668D49-A03C-4B53-8BC9-A7D6E8DDB0AA.thumb.jpeg.b26e19dbb554a3492c2e5d0f3a6eccbd.jpeg

Dinner plate with the addition of some Sugar Bomb tomatoes (a gift). They are amazing.

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Pork loin chop on the PAG, along with rainbow carrots and asparagus.  The chop was great, as were the veggies.  I didn't prep the chop at all, just glazed with some maple syrup and bourbon after the flip.  The veggies were tossed in some EVOO with salt, pepper, garlic and pineapple flavored white balsamic.  Chops were 13 minutes as were the carrots - asparagus was 6 minutes.  There's hope for the grill yet!

pag-chop.jpg.6420e9146d8379f4390389d3a11b5c3b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My first protein on the PAG was underwhelming.  Not because of the grill but I suppose I chose the wrong meat.

The skirt steak was so freaking tough I couldn't even cut into it.  I've never cooked this type steak before and probably should have marinated it.  I just used steak seasoning.  The grill itself performed beautifully and didn't even get very dirty.  One thing; the wire grill was missing from the box.  Called W-S and they immediately shipped out a replacement to me without any angst whatever.  Their customer service is excellent.  I'll have to think up something else to try tonight.  Maybe a porkchop.  

I was given some small winter squash so I thought I would see what I could do in terms of grilling them on the Avance. 

This is a very small butternut squash although I suspect it goes by a different name. 

E69873A5-4CAA-43DA-856A-CE290DCEBFD8.thumb.jpeg.b35bc629d65db218010bb54c510da241.jpeg

and here is another similar one on the grill after being peeled, seeded and sliced. 

EA110317-E597-4990-8B10-DDDCE9F559EE.thumb.jpeg.f2233b79795418b960d84585af6341de.jpeg

Dinner was a mix of leftovers from yesterday and the freshly grilled squash

2A34959E-AD64-4E1C-BB19-1FDC68D32D1B.thumb.jpeg.eb0919177f53e9e787804303221a268d.jpeg

I do not think I would bother repeating this grilled squash. It was simply boring. The option of glazing it with something like maple syrup did not appeal to me because I did not want to deal with burnt squash. I just think there are better ways of treating winter squash. YMMV. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I did another successful cook of pork chops, carrots and asparagus on the PAG.  First cook on it since my wife was home, so I went with a success.  (She is suspicious of new kitchen gadgets unless and until they produce good food.)  Didn't bother to take pictures.  These chops were thinner than the previous night's so I cooked them for 5 minutes per side.  Perfect.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

This is what I wanted for dinner yesterday evening but by the time I got around to thinking about it I had pretty much used up all my energy for the day. Did not want to miss another meal so it became lunch today.

02198365-8670-4C51-8F03-F5FB839D06AD.thumb.jpeg.7ed6d2115f08c4ea07d175607a061674.jpeg

8620C279-004D-4C0F-ACBE-A4942E2A8C6A.thumb.jpeg.2df05c5f83e9948df8927cb198745242.jpeg

C23B10AD-145F-439B-95F5-9CCC4BA85F50.thumb.jpeg.b9a8f757b5ac8280eeb73c2ff3fc7ec1.jpeg

EBF8E9E9-9876-42CA-B391-CFF30999EF06.thumb.jpeg.1f3e0372adff00795598eea153e94ea1.jpeg

B02439E6-8C00-49D2-AFDF-3705EA69C2AE.thumb.jpeg.22c0dae2362216ac41e007bf4b44238b.jpeg

Loin lamb chops (SV’d), grilled onions, blistered Campari tomatoes.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

a long time ago , pre-SV

i used to grill onion 1/4 era or 1/3ds on the grill

charcoal  w various other items , burgers  ,meats etc.

and i found for a 1/3 or 1/6th , ie cut the red onion in 1/2 , then in 3ds  w a skewer in the onion to

keep it together

Id micro the skewered onions  to do most of the cooking

and use the grill for final browning w olive oil etc

so everything was done at the same time

grilling w 1/6th of a total onion took too much time and too much char.

im not sure how this might help you on the PG

but if you have many any sense of what im talking about

im sure you can take the general idea and help you do the onions

in the same amout of time as a SV chap

best of luck !

• Like 1

I unboxed and set up my new rotisserie today and plan to do a chicken on it tomorrow.

This evening I’ll prepare the marinade and have it all ready.

I’ve been impressed with how little grease and mess there is and no lingering odors in the the kitchen.

Mine is definitely a keeper.  Eager to try some Sous vide meats next.

2D4D1DF2-E565-4908-9665-2EBCFA3A9E7E.jpeg

• Like 9

@lindag

looking forward to it

do I see a drip pan under the rotisserie ?

I take it that the IR energy comes from the sides ?

perhaps this is why ' straight girill grilling   gets the IR from the sides

thus any drippings end up in a pan in the middle and is not affected by the IR grilling elements ?

thus little  or no smoke ?

best of luck tomorrow !

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@lindag

looking forward to it

do I see a drip pan under the rotisserie ?

I take it that the IR energy comes from the sides ?

perhaps this is why ' straight girill grilling   gets the IR from the sides

thus any drippings end up in a pan in the middle and is not affected by the IR grilling elements ?

thus little  or no smoke ?

best of luck tomorrow !

Yes there is a drip pan.

The IR is built into the sides.

I’m so impressed so far with the lack of mess and odor, plus it cleans up in the sink so easily.

I have great expectation for the roti chicken. Hope to post some pics. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

More grilled veggies (with tri-tip cooked SV).  Note that in the first picture the veggies look over-cooked and they were.  I grilled the squash for 15 minutes and the peppers for 10 minutes.  They looked great.  The I thought I would turn the grill to keep warm while I seared and sliced the tri-tip.  That's when they over cooked.  They were on keep warm for about 7 minutes.  Second night (and second pic) same timing but no keep warm.  Lesson learned  - keep warm does more than keep warm!  So what else can we use keep warm for?

tt-grilled-veg.jpg.bbb084be44f3b8f8e99a2eb53a576376.jpg

better-veggies.jpg.bfa92ce6630c2d7676ef3090dd21527d.jpg

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

Had a doctor’s appointment yesterday

that ran long so I couldn’t do my chicken when I got home.. too tired.

Tonight I took the chicken from the marinade bag and positioned it on the spit.

It took some finagling to get it to be somewhat balanced but I finally got it okay and set my timer for 60 minutes.

This is a big 5.5 lb. chicken so it will have to go a bit longer I’m sure.

I’m nearby and watching and listening to be sure it’s turning okay.E9928525-D8DA-4DF0-9FEA-313C3A28D594.thumb.jpeg.70ee1196db8ca8be86aebf292dd745f1.jpeg

77A7ED4D-CF5C-489B-9C44-2462FAD49938.jpeg

• Like 9