• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill

Kerry Beal

@Anna N, are you a kebabs type? I'm thinking of chunks of chicken marinated (or rubbed) and then skewered and browned on the grill. They need to be accompanied by (rubbed or marinated, then) skewered vegetables, but with all served over rice it's pretty darned good. The leftovers are good too.

What a fun present! Even if you didn't want it! Way to go, @Kerry Beal's DNA!

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

@Anna N, are you a kebabs type? I'm thinking of chunks of chicken marinated (or rubbed) and then skewered and browned on the grill. They need to be accompanied by (rubbed or marinated, then) skewered vegetables, but with all served over rice it's pretty darned good. The leftovers are good too.

What a fun present! Even if you didn't want it! Way to go, @Kerry Beal's DNA!

That sounds like a good idea. I know I was beginning to sound like a real downer rejecting burgers and fish!  But anyone who has followed me at all will pick up fairly quickly that burgers rarely show up and fish is almost as nonexistent in my meal plans. Chicken thighs, however, make frequent appearances. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/9/2019 at 3:10 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I tried.  Prime Now had a sale.  By the time I got home from work the sale salmon was gone.  Besides, I like bluefish better:

Dinner03092019.png

Some of the best fish I have had.  No stick, no smoke, no mess.  Normally I would pass on fish skin.  I ate this all.  It was really very good.

I used to grill fish on my Farberware,  which like the Philips doesn't smoke.  But with the Farberware the skin sticks to the rack and makes a mess.

The Philips Avance has earned its keep.

Which grill top did you use, the non-stick one or the wire one?  I'm partial to cod which comes skinless, and am thinking of cooking it on the Phillip's.  Have you tried any other fish?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Which grill top did you use, the non-stick one or the wire one?  I'm partial to cod which comes skinless, and am thinking of cooking it on the Phillip's.  Have you tried any other fish?

My Philips came only with the non-stick top.  No wire grill to be had.  I'm wondering if it is some regulatory issue here?

In addition to bluefish I've grilled salmon, swordfish, tuna -- all with good results.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My Philips came only with the non-stick top.  No wire grill to be had.  I'm wondering if it is some regulatory issue here?

In addition to bluefish I've grilled salmon, swordfish, tuna -- all with good results.

The one on Amazon.ca does not show the wire grill either.  I bought mine in a store and it also came with a couple of scrapers to clean the thing.  Thanks, I'll try the fish.

1 minute ago, StumptownGeek said:

The wire grill appears to be a Williams Sonoma exclusive in the US:

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/HD6372_94/avance-collection-indoor-grill

Thanks!  That explains the mystery.

Tried fish (cod) tonight on the Phillip's for the first time.  It came out a bit raggedy looking because the light is so bright on the thing that I had to remove a piece away from it so I could see to test for doneness.  I'd lose a little piece of fish every time I did that.  Based on one test only, I think I prefer the CSO for fish as i know exactly for how long and at what temperature to cook it.  I also did the asparagus on the grill.  They were perfect.

20191128_182920.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How long did you grill your asparagus?

I didn't time it but I think it was about 10 minutes.  I kept poking them with a toothpick until they got to where we like it.  We don't like them real crunchy, cooked but with some bite.  I tossed them with some olive oil before I put them on the grill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lindag said:

W-S has a combo of the grill and the rotisserie.  I’m about to pull the trigger.

Bet they won’t let you have it for $30!

• Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

52 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I didn't time it but I think it was about 10 minutes.  I kept poking them with a toothpick until they got to where we like it.  We don't like them real crunchy, cooked but with some bite.  I tossed them with some olive oil before I put them on the grill.

Thanks!  I was planning to boil my asparagus tonight but since I am grilling a Berkshire chop, I might as well try the Philips.  I note Six Seasons suggests 4 to 6 minutes without oil, though that might be for a hotter grill.

I placed my order for the Avance Grill with Rotisserie just now.

Williams Sonoma price for the combo was $284 plus change.

@rotuts, are you paying attention?

W-S has a coupon today for 20% off and free shipping.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/27/2019 at 7:11 PM, Anna N said:

The $50 price tag wasn’t the whole story because we got 20% off for a donation Kerry had made to Value Village and another 10 or 20% off because she is a member of their club.

So I took it on its maiden voyage. I must say I am impressed. 

49060290-C08E-4E10-B9BC-46E861C9BEA3.thumb.jpeg.1916a409ff7d678f9a709dff6b009567.jpeg

Lamb chops.

B46A2D8E-8181-49A6-945A-2638DA1F42AA.thumb.jpeg.229a852e27e2af3a7f49fbc6b48567a6.jpeg

Five minutes per side. 

A869C303-CE0B-4080-8B5F-E419AD8351A6.thumb.jpeg.f68fe86cffc80371cdf59a8e15aec594.jpeg

Two were enjoyed with nothing more than some mint sauce. 

I was somewhat challenged while I was doing this by a vulnerable, extraordinarily curious youngster of the four-legged variety that I was I was trying to keep safe!   Else I might’ve taken greater care to get the fat a little more coloured and the grill marks a little more attractive.  
The four-legged variety on the grill was passed saving!  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Tried fish (cod) tonight on the Phillip's for the first time.  It came out a bit raggedy looking because the light is so bright on the thing that I had to remove a piece away from it so I could see to test for doneness.  I'd lose a little piece of fish every time I did that.  Based on one test only, I think I prefer the CSO for fish as i know exactly for how long and at what temperature to cook it.  I also did the asparagus on the grill.  They were perfect.

20191128_182920.jpg

You were not checking the cod by temperature?  A minor problem with asparagus, one spear escaped down through the grate.  But it was possibly the best asparagus I've cooked.  Seriously.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, lindag said:

I placed my order for the Avance Grill with Rotisserie just now.

Williams Sonoma price for the combo was $284 plus change.

@rotuts, are you paying attention?

W-S has a coupon today for 20% off and free shipping.

I have a grill in my cart.  Figured I could always use a spare.  Thing is WS is not letting me use the 20% off coupon at the same time as the discounted Philips price.  Now I have to think about it.

@lindag were you able to use the 20% off coupon?

F1E0DEF3-5A6A-41B3-9825-ABDEB31C1788.thumb.jpeg.6397ec6189e1736c2b40450d96b8fffc.jpeg653F7FF7-906B-42C5-BB3F-F5EE84131E1F.thumb.jpeg.e13bab9642a4284d02caefe5cfa659f0.jpeg

Decided I would cook the pork chops today also. It’s nice having some already prepared protein in the refrigerator even if it has to be reworked in someway. 

couple of pork chops. I did a quality control on one of them and I’m very pleased because I usually manage to completely dry out pork chops. These are still moist and tender and it was so easy to just throw them on there and flip them. 

It gets hotter than any indoor grill I’ve ever used and it certainly doesn’t smoke. Clean up seems to be a breeze although of course early in the game yet to judge that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog