• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill

Kerry Beal

16 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@JoNorvelleWalker that was for @rotuts

As was my response.  But I have roasted poblano and serrano.  The Philips may be even better.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I've read some reviews saying that the Teflon coating on the grill comes off with about a month of use. Can one of the enablers confirm this? Or did these reviewers just not clean it properly? @JoNorvelleWalker @ElsieD @Kerry Beal

I'm just an enabler - I don't have one!

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I've read some reviews saying that the Teflon coating on the grill comes off with about a month of use. Can one of the enablers confirm this? Or did these reviewers just not clean it properly? @JoNorvelleWalker @ElsieD @Kerry Beal

No problems here.  And most of the time I run my rack through the dishwasher.  Though it is not that difficult to clean by hand.

• Thanks 1

Im, pleased e.g. members are enjoying their PAG so much.

I almost jumped at that $ 139 price.

Im much more interested in the rotisserie attachment than just the grill.

for the aromas and memories of BCk.

I coud not figure out much about the vendor, and

skeptic that I am , I wondered if they were returns , or what ever from Walmart ?

I looked at many of the Amazon reviews , also a a grain of salt.

there are plenty opt reviews that give it a minimal 1 star

one had pics of the plastic melting.   

so I didn't jump on the PAG

I am homing more info from eG members emerges.

13 hours ago, KennethT said:

I received 9 answers from Amazon so far.  8 said they had not experienced any problems and one of the responders said she had a friend who had not had any problems either.  One person said the non-stick coating easily came off but he also said he used a 3M scrubbing pad on it.  I don't know why you would use such a scrubbing pad on it.  It cleans up beautifully and easily with soapy water and a cloth without any scrubbing.  Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Indeed, the wording is clear if not also amusing: "Certified Refurbished".     Reminds of used car labelled "Guaranteed Pre-Owned" which = that they stand behind its utility for a specified time  OR  that they underwrite the fact that the car is used...

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

54 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Indeed, the wording is clear if not also amusing: "Certified Refurbished".     Reminds of used car labelled "Guaranteed Pre-Owned" which = that they stand behind its utility for a specified time  OR  that they underwrite the fact that the car is used...

I know, right? The phrasing some of these businesses choose is often awkward (as someone whose writing gets copyedited, I'm very aware of this sort of thing).

My local Mitsubishi dealership, which is on the way to our favorite dog-walking spot, encourages us to "Test drive the best warranty in the business." Seriously, guys? What do you want me to do, bring one in for service?

The worst example was a small indie hotel/motel in Surrey BC, which invited passing motorists to "Come on in for the rest of your life." I understood what they meant, but it sounded rather like the tag line for a slasher movie.

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 minutes ago, chromedome said:

The worst example was a small indie hotel/motel in Surrey BC, which invited passing motorists to "Come on in for the rest of your life." I understood what they meant, but it sounded rather like the tag line for a slasher movie.

or Hotel California

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:19 PM, ElsieD said:

Did some jumbo chicken wings tonight.  Took about 20 minutes.  The skin was crispy, the flesh juicy.

20191104_184110.jpg

Last night I tried a sous vide thigh (memo to self:  there is only one left in the refrigerator) on the Philips.  While it was perfectly OK I was not as thrilled with the result compared to deep fried or in the CSO.  And my thigh was not as pretty as yours.  Not that I have ever actually seen @ElsieD's thigh.

• Haha 5

Mine has been living on my counter since I bought it.  Other than my toaster, coffee pot and kettle, the one key other appliance that has that honour is my 3 quart Instant Pot.  My Breville Smart Oven is also on the counter but it has it's own little counter, away from the main one.  My kitchen is about 20 feet long, and has two sections -the cooking part and the eat-in part which we don't use to eat in.  Instead, it contains the stand up freezer, a microwave stand which has the ice cream maker sitting on it, a bar fridge and a rolling cart on which the CSO rests.  We had some extra cupboards built in when we bought the place and so  we had a drawer built for the bread machine which keeps it out of sight.  It just occured to me that I use the CSO more than the Breville so I think I'll switch their positions.

• Like 4

I've been thinking about this... according to Modernist Cuisine, a lot of the aroma of grilled foods comes from fat dripping off the meat, hitting the hot coals beneath, vaporizing and rising up and settling on the meat.  The Philips is smokeless because the heat source is not directly beneath the food, so whatever drips off lands in the drip tray, never to be vaporized.  So by extension, this would mean that the grilled flavor is less pronounced on the Philips than on other grills.

Do the users find this to be true or do you think the difference is negligible?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I've been thinking about this... according to Modernist Cuisine, a lot of the aroma of grilled foods comes from fat dripping off the meat, hitting the hot coals beneath, vaporizing and rising up and settling on the meat.  The Philips is smokeless because the heat source is not directly beneath the food, so whatever drips off lands in the drip tray, never to be vaporized.  So by extension, this would mean that the grilled flavor is less pronounced on the Philips than on other grills.

Do the users find this to be true or do you think the difference is negligible?

That is correct.  It doesn't replace your gas or charcoal grill.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

D01C82DC-220D-4F7D-8052-D360FFE57747.thumb.jpeg.54a1f2eeeb4c22932f165577b47ce90a.jpeg

stay tuned for the backstory. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So I will do my very best to explain why there is a Phillips Avance grill sitting on top of my induction range. 

@Kerry Beal and I were making our way out of Value Village. I had in my cart a couple of books and Kerry had an electric kettle for someone else. Seemed as if we were in the clear with nothing strange and wonderful to deal with. But it was not to be. On the way to the checkout we passed the showcase and eagle-eyed Kerry Beal spotted this grill sitting on a very low shelf with a price tag of $50.  She said she could not leave it there. It was against her DNA. I piped up quickly that I did not want it. I have no room for such a thing. She contacted a couple of acquaintances and none of them seemed willing to commit to this even if offered as a gift.

Undeterred Kerry was bound and determined that this could not be left in the store   Not with that price tag on it. 

Fine. Go ahead. Buy it. But  I don’t want it. So you will need to find another home for it.

I have known Kerry now for 12 or more years and you would think that I would be wise to her shenanigans. But I fall for them every time.

Basically she said that until she found a home for it it might as well be my latest toy and thoroughly tested in my kitchen. I still said no. I have no proteins suitable for a grill anyway.

That didn’t work. Almost next-door to Value Village was a Metro supermarket!  

So now I have a grill I don’t want and sufficient protein to put it through its paces. I never learn. 

On the bright side when my daughter came by this evening on another errand and spotted the grill, her eyes lit up. so perhaps if one of Kerry‘s acquaintances doesn’t cave it will still find a home!

The $50 price tag wasn’t the whole story because we got 20% off for a donation Kerry had made to Value Village and another 10 or 20% off because she is a member of their club.

It appears to have never been used. Kerry plugged it in and it certainly lights up and warms up but I have not gone beyond that tonight, nor will I. Stay tuned though because in the next few days I will certainly give it a work out.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N  It cooks up great burgs.

Unfortunately I am not and I’ve never been a burger fan. I’m hoping it does a mean job and things like steak, lamb chops, pork chops and perhaps some vegetables. We shall see you in the next few days. My agenda is pretty full at the moment so I can’t just get to it as quickly as I might wish. 

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Unfortunately I am not and I’ve never been a burger fan. I’m hoping it does a mean job and things like steak, lamb chops, pork chops and perhaps some vegetables. We shall see you in the next few days. My agenda is pretty full at the moment so I can’t just get to it as quickly as I might wish. 

I came home tonight with two more Berkshire chops to grill on mine.  But don't forget fish!

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I came home tonight with two more Berkshire chops to grill on mine.  But don't forget fish!

If only I had some way of procuring decent fish. It’s a bit of a challenge. And of all things in the world that have got to be top notch for me it’s fish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog