• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill

Kerry Beal

14 minutes ago, lindag said:

I’m still not buying one.

If it helps here you can see and smell a few wisps coming off the dry aged steak...

Philips04012019.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@rotuts I have a Farberware rotisserie* that is also smokeless.  I dig out the Farberware once or twice a year to make chicken mechoui.  But unlike the Philips the Farberware is rather a pain to clean.  And it is bulky and lives in the bedroom.  While the Philips, in the dining room, is close at hand.  Please let us know how you like your Philips rotisserie.

*plus the obligatory spare.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@rotuts I have a Farberware rotisserie* that is also smokeless.  I dig out the Farberware once or twice a year to make chicken mechoui.  But unlike the Philips the Farberware is rather a pain to clean.  And it is bulky and lives in the bedroom.  While the Philips, in the dining room, is close at hand.  Please let us know how you like your Philips rotisserie.

*plus the obligatory spare.

You're killing me!

@JoNorvelleWalker

Fine

Just Fine

but here is my Price Point :

Grill : $ 149 , free shipping , possibly not tax

RoTo :  $ 49  free shipping , still a possibility of no Tax

Black or Green Friday or Monday is coming up

Maybe JB  will try to swallow his massive loss for Right Now shipping

and get these two items 

at the nice price  point I am suggesting

:"" why Not ? just because  ""

Ill order three sets

at my pride point 

and Ill wait a week or two to get them.

suprise.gif.c4b81f0686cea1554c293cbe7dca4fe4.gif

Unknown-1.jpeg.0b59265f660dd6f511cadbd458e2fa4b.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

And it is bulky and lives in the bedroom

Given the plethora of things living in your bedroom I feel you’ll need to post a picture* soon ... seeing is believing  😉

(*bedroom, not rotisserie)

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Given the plethora of things living in your bedroom I feel you’ll need to post a picture* soon ... seeing is believing  😉

(*bedroom, not rotisserie)

I'd be too ashamed to post a picture sober.  But it is a large bedroom.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

The rotisserie sells for just under $150 Cdn. on Amazon.ca.   

@Norm Matthews  Are you still using yours?

I have only used it two or three times. I had plans to use it the other day but didn't.  I used a butane grill instead.

• Like 1

Hunh. I'd pictured it being bigger.

I was in Dartmouth just last weekend. If we'd had this conversation beforehand, I could have picked it up for someone.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

5 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Hunh. I'd pictured it being bigger.

I was in Dartmouth just last weekend. If we'd had this conversation beforehand, I could have picked it up for someone.

They aren't really that small.

12 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Just think of all the Big Easy things sitting in garages all over eGullet.

Hey - ours went to a good home!

• Like 1

Tonight I tried bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.  First I cooked them sous vide for 2 hours at 165f.  The plan was to have them finish by just after 6, then I would take them out, dry them, and put them on the s/s grill as recommended by Phillip's.    As they were turning golden brown with a nice crispy skin, I would finish prepping the rest of the dinner.   The time was 6:10 and oops, the power went off.  I left the dinner thighs in the hot water for about 1/2 hour but then put them in an ice bath until the power came back on, an hour later.  The thighs are now, of course, ice cold which meant if we wanted hot food they would have to stay on the grill longer than planned.  I sprayed the s/s grill with some oil and on they went.  As expected, the skin stuck to the grill.   Almost all of the best part of the chicken, the skin, was lost.  Also as expected, the thighs suffered from being too long on the heat.  The flavour of the chicken was excellent and I would cook them this way again but I would use the non-stick grill.  One piece of chicken has a bit of the skin, the other is the reverse side of another piece.

20191103_200927.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

For John's lunch today I made Dutch meatloaf sandwiches on brioche buns.  I used the grill.  What was nice was I could toast the buns on the grill and put the sandwich meat on the grill to heat through at the same time.  The whole thing took 5 minutes which is great because he directs a duplicate bridge game Monday mornings and is a very hungry lad when he gets home.  

• Delicious 1

@ElsieD

when will you be getting the rotisserie attachment ?

looking forward to your report

as I understand it , your version came w a non-stick grill and a wider spaced not non-stick grill.

any idea why one would want to use the aluminum looking grill if it sticks ?

got to be for something 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

@rotuts  I think you need to take up the rotisserie issue with @lindag  She seems to be the most interested.  I definitely am not. 

The s/s grill is supposedly for more delicate items and they suggest chicken and fish.  I can't see it, myself.  But I do think vegetables would work nicely on it, the quick cooking kind like asparagus and maybe stuffed tomatoes or peppers.  My stove top is induction so I can't roast peppers but I'm pretty sure the grill could do that handily.  I'll be making a roasted red pepper soup one of these days so we'll see how that works out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@rotuts  I think you need to take up the rotisserie issue with @lindag  She seems to be the most interested.  I definitely am not. 

The s/s grill is supposedly for more delicate items and they suggest chicken and fish.  I can't see it, myself.  But I do think vegetables would work nicely on it, the quick cooking kind like asparagus and maybe stuffed tomatoes or peppers.  My stove top is induction so I can't roast peppers but I'm pretty sure the grill could do that handily.  I'll be making a roasted red pepper soup one of these days so we'll see how that works out.

CSO will roast peppers.

• Like 1