• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill

Kerry Beal

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Why?

Because I don’t need one.

I already have a grill I don’t use.

And I already have a mass of kitchen gear that I don’t use.

Edited by lindag (log)

My big grill is two steps outside my back door. I'll stick to that. Plus, I have no more room for any other kitchen thingies. And I have yet to use the Paragon I bought.

• Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, kayb said:

My big grill is two steps outside my back door. I'll stick to that. Plus, I have no more room for any other kitchen thingies. And I have yet to use the Paragon I bought.

Only one?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Last night's burgs.  They had bacon and cheese mixed in with the meat.  The buns were toasted on the grill and those are onion slices cooked along with the burgs.  Best burgs I've had in ages, with a nice crunchy exterior.  I'm thinking I might sous vide some chicken thighs and finish them on this grill.  Has anyone tried this?  BTW the thing cleaned up easily and quickly.

20191102_190223.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Added picture (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WoW !

I a big fan of SV for meat , understanding full well that SV doesnt do everything 

and has a few short comings 

what SV can't do , it provide the aroma that Im guessing is fabulous 

with an open-air  PAG rotisserie  

the CSO is sealed , but some aroma leaks out

has anyone used the PAG  w the rotisserie attachment ?

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

WoW !

I a big fan of SV for meat , understanding full well that SV doesnt do everything 

and has a few short comings 

what SV can't do , it provide the aroma that Im guessing is fabulous 

with an open-air  PAG rotisserie  

the CSO is sealed , but some aroma leaks out

has anyone used the PAG  w the rotisserie attachment ?

Do not tell me it has a rotisserie attachment!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

@ElsieD

what do you think the grill accessory is for ?

smaller stiff  ( shrimp ? ) non skewered that you grill , maybe turn over 

then serve from the GA ?

I think I recall the real grill is easy to clean as its non stick ?

when do you think you will be getting the rotisserie ?

just saying .

rotisserie chicken has a very  special place in my heart and many other senses. 

My mother was not a great cook, yet we had home cooked meals almost all the time

unless we went to Kirtks for Burgers.  and a hot breakfast during the3 school year , and most of the summer

my parents had a grill , California style , watt before Weber's were invented :

large shallow ' pan ' for the charcoal , central piston that you could move up or down w a crank , and the grill rotated on that piston.

they got a rotisserie attachment :

1`/2 circular sheet metal , w a top  that the rotisserie attached to above the coals.  you moved the Rotisserie shield around the grill based on 

Local wind conditions.m  Lit the charcoal , with petrochemicals  

( way before chgiumneys were created )

then plopped in the rotisserie attachment into the Hood , and turned it on

two chickens , most Sat and Sundays I recall.

the chickens were not perfectly balanced so the motored whines this way , then that

my job was to mow the lawn w a very dull , heavy push mower.

but the aromas from those chickens will haunts me in a very pleasant way.

we ate outside on a BBQ table I still have .  1.25 " redwood , top and benches 1

I got a weber a long long time ago , three burner 

w their rotisserie attachment , In remembrance.

the rotisserie unit was stolen , but   ...

Ill give it some thought 

Fond memories for me

Rotiserrie Chicken.

love the idea of doing it inside in the winder.   outside the rest of the year should I get another of those Weber attachments.

Im very much someone gets the rotisserie attachment and puts it through its paces 

would two chickens fit ?   it seems not as it only has two pointy chicken prongs.

• Like 2

googled :

phillips advanced grill rotisserei attachemnet

note the vids

in the USA :

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Smoke-less-Collection-HD6371-94/dp/B01D6KCY4K

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-HD6971-00-Smoke-Less-Rotisserie/dp/B07GZ78Q4D

NB this comment :

screenshot_033.jpg.ec57055d1fbfd5b11c3b6e29886fe2a8.jpg

might be a real issue or not initially installed correctly.

• Like 2

I want to know from you users whether this grill really is smokeless -- as in, fine to use in the kitchen with the windows closed. The question also applies to those of you who take the plunge and buy the rotisserie attachment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Last night I set the grill up under the hood over the stove and cooked some burgs.  No smoke.  I didn't need the fan.  Keener that I am, I decided to cook some hot dogs for lunch.  This time, the grill was on the counter, under some cupboards.  Nary a wisp of smoke.  I live in a condo apartment and nothing was open.  I love this thing.  I am going to do some chicken thighs tonight if I have time.  Sous vide, then grilled.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm wondering if I should brush the thighs with oil post sous vide, pre-grill in case they stick?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

what do you think the grill accessory is for ?

It says that the wire one is for delicate food like fish or chicken  while the other one is for tougher meats such as steaks and burgs.  The spacing on the wire grill is wider than the non-stick one.   Guess I'll try the wire one tonight.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Last night I set the grill up under the hood over the stove and cooked some burgs.  No smoke.  I didn't need the fan.  Keener that I am, I decided to cook some hot dogs for lunch.  This time, the grill was on the counter, under some cupboards.  Nary a wisp of smoke.  I live in a condo apartment and nothing was open.  I love this thing.  I am going to do some chicken thighs tonight if I have time.  Sous vide, then grilled.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm wondering if I should brush the thighs with oil post sous vide, pre-grill in case they stick?

does it cast off any grease spatter?

• Like 1

I'm getting more tempted.

• Haha 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I'm thinking I might focus vide some chicken thighs and finish them on this grill.  Has anyone tried this?  BTW the thing cleaned up easily and quickly.

I have five or six pasteurized thighs left in the refrigerator.  I am planning to cook one thigh tonight but hadn't thought to use the Philips for it.  Maybe I'll take one for the team.

However I was disappointed when I tried cooking thighs from raw.  The Philips gets too hot.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/158072-philips-avance-grill/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-2192483

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@lindag

I think you , and I might w these parameters :

the grill itself :  $ 199  , free shipping

of course

the rotisserie :

$ 99 , free shipping

after considering the notes on Amazon

from the person , who might have not clicked in the rotisseries

just saying

Sooo :

plenty of Amps annd Volts in your kitchen ?

no matter 

you nwill work aournd it.

as I do myself

with the iPot and the CSO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have five or six pasteurized thighs left in the refrigerator.  I am planning to cook one thigh tonight but hadn't thought to use the Philips for it.  Maybe I'll take one for the team.

However I was disappointed when I tried cooking thighs from raw.  The Philips gets too hot.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/158072-philips-avance-grill/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-2192483

Yes, I remembered you saying that which is why I am going the sous vide/then grill route.  

• Like 1