• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philips Avance Grill

Kerry Beal

I have been working the restaurant show for the past 3 days - and take every opportunity to check out the other booths. 

I happened across this IR grill at the booth sampling Sterling Silver meats. The chef cooking on it said that the year before one of his standard tabletop grills had packed it in at the show and he'd run out to Hudson's Bay and found it and he couldn't be more pleased. 

IMG_4473.thumb.jpg.47c0842aab9d8fd0f6661a6407692ab9.jpg

57271732560__3611543B-4637-4F01-BECE-CD717ACEA38E.thumb.jpg.7fd9e2088d47e1509c416d95ac632b36.jpg

A little research led me to Philip's site - here.

Does not appear to be inexpensive - but it did a lovely job on those kalbi cut short ribs he was sampling compared to the standard grill you can see behind it. Of course I'll program it in to Canadian Tire to see when it goes on sale - not that I need it mind you!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

$400 at Canadian Tire plus sales tax.  How smoky were they?  Would you need to place it under a ventilation hood?

Didn’t seem very smoky - says you don’t need hood - but I likely would anyway. My smoke alarm is pretty tetchy!

• Like 2

I was looking into tabletop IR grills a long time ago, but never wound up getting it as I live in a small apartment with no outside ventilation.  While I love the process of putting a shower cap on my smoke alarm, if it gets too smoky, the neighbors get worried....

But at the time, I was looking into these:

https://solairegasgrills.com/products/portable-grills/

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I have been working the restaurant show for the past 3 days - and take every opportunity to check out the other booths. 

I happened across this IR grill at the booth sampling Sterling Silver meats. The chef cooking on it said that the year before one of his standard tabletop grills had packed it in at the show and he'd run out to Hudson's Bay and found it and he couldn't be more pleased. 

IMG_4473.thumb.jpg.47c0842aab9d8fd0f6661a6407692ab9.jpg

57271732560__3611543B-4637-4F01-BECE-CD717ACEA38E.thumb.jpg.7fd9e2088d47e1509c416d95ac632b36.jpg

A little research led me to Philip's site - here.

Does not appear to be inexpensive - but it did a lovely job on those kalbi cut short ribs he was sampling compared to the standard grill you can see behind it. Of course I'll program it in to Canadian Tire to see when it goes on sale - not that I need it mind you!

Sometimes I hate you Kerry.  I have a satisfactory enough Zojirushi but I just clicked on the Philips to arrive tomorrow.  Amazon's price was $243.03.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Camelcamelcamel shows the price jumps all over the place.  Price just went down from $279.95 but has been as low as $149.99.  (Real dollars of course.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sometimes I hate you Kerry.  I have a satisfactory enough Zojirushi but I just clicked on the Philips to arrive tomorrow.  Amazon's price was $243.03.

I'll be really curious to hear what you think of it especially about the amount of smoke it does or doesn't produce.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I'll be really curious to hear what you think of it especially about the amount of smoke it does or doesn't produce.

Happy I could facilitate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm beginning to have second thoughts.  Somehow I was thinking this thing was about the same size as my Zojirushi.  A yardstick disabused me.  Now I have no place to put the Philips.  (Not that this has ever slowed me down before.)

I also noticed Simple Living offers what looks like the same thing as the Philips for $149.99.

Does anyone else remember an earlier thread about the Philips?  So far I haven't found it but I'm sure I saw it once upon a time.

There is a review of this smokeless grill on eater.com.

It looks like my tiny little closet of a kitchen won't be getting this new gadget.  Space is way too limited.

It does seem to be smokeless though which is a nice surprise.

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm beginning to have second thoughts.  Somehow I was thinking this thing was about the same size as my Zojirushi.  A yardstick disabused me.  Now I have no place to put the Philips.  (Not that this has ever slowed me down before.)

I also noticed Simple Living offers what looks like the same thing as the Philips for $149.99.

Does anyone else remember an earlier thread about the Philips?  So far I haven't found it but I'm sure I saw it once upon a time.

One of the Solaire products I linked to above is really small... Like 1 hamburger at a time small. It would be perfect for a small kitchen... I do worry about the smoke though....

Edited by KennethT (log)

OK I found it!  Here's the thread:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/36136-countertop-rotisseries/

The title is "rotisseries" and indeed the Philips grill has a rotisserie attachment.  However I have a Farberware rotisserie.  The Farberware is an almost perfect rotisserie, not necessarily a perfect grill.  Remains to be seen if the Philips beats my Zojorushi as a grill.

I could be interested in the Avance as well; it would depend entirely on how much smoke and or grease it let off.

I don't have a hood over my range (nor could I add one)  so that is a deal breaker.

Here it is resting comfortably on my 15x20x3" end grain block.  About to go fire the thing up for the first time.

PhilipsGrill03012019.png

• Like 3

Some observations:  I grilled a pork chop that had previously been anovaed to 58C.  The light from the Philips grill is blinding.  There are warning labels all over for eye safety not to look at the heating elements when they are on.  My Thermapen was at the ready but by the time I first tested the chop read 68C.  This thing cooks fast.

Remarkably the meat was still juicy enough to be pleasant.  There were no leftovers.  There was also no smoke.  The unit looks as clean as when I started.  surprisingly the grill plate and drip tray go in the dishwasher as needed.  Amazon sells a special bundle with a razor sharp cleaning tool.  Looks dangerous to me and I doubt I will be using it,

• Like 4

@JoNorvelleWalker

it would be interesting to compare something ordinary and routine  say chicken thighs

A) on the PAR

vs

B) the CSO :   steam-bake until crispy skin w or w/o a Steam-Broil at the end for the skin.

the CSO is very close to SV perfect for CkTh's  w a big bonus on the CkTh skin.

as you say , it cooks fast.

might it excel ( sorry forgot how to spell the  ' real ' excel ) for fish , shrimp and the like that benefit from that speed ?

Woe Woe is me.     very difficult to find truly fresh fish in my are, which helps w the decision.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1