• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steven Shaw

heidih

Steven was one of the brightest, most analytically-minded people I ever met.  He was also kind, funny and passionate.  I considered him a true friend, an inspirational leader and a valuable mentor.  Rarely a day goes by when I don't think of him.  I miss him tremendously.

=R=

• Like 7

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 1 year later...

Today is both a sad, yet a glorious day. Sad because it was 6 years ago that we lost Steven. Yet glorious because we can celebrate eGullet and the legacy that he left us. I remember the Heartland Gathering in Cleveland and being with Steven and his family. And the time we met in Las Vegas with our friend the food writer John Curtas. Steven was in town to accept an award for his book Asian Dining Rules. He was kind, passionate about the work he was doing, and loved his wife and young son very much. I miss him terribly, but I'm so proud to have known him, dined with him, and know that he would be very proud of eGullet today.

This is a photo with Steven on a trip to Las Vegas.  I'm on the left, then Las Vegas Food Writer John Curtas, Chef Saipin Chutima of Lotus of Siam, and Steven.  This is the trip I mention above when he was in town to receive an award.  It was a grand time and we ate far too much, yet this memory will never leave me.  

This is Steven's trip report-

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/120999-fear-and-lotus-in-las-vegas-asian-dining/

Lotus of Siam.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

I think of him very often.  And that's something to say about someone you never met.  His passion for food issues and devotion to eGullet were a constant.  He could discuss the big issues and then answer a silly beginner question with kindness and humor.  Thank you for posting this, @David Ross.  

• Like 7

I had never heard of him but he was in Des Moines, Iowa for something and the paper ran an article on him and mentioned eGullet.  I was so intrigued that I came here, loved what I saw and joined as quickly as I could.  Never been sorry.  He was a unique voice in the food world and a one-of-a kind person.   I also thank you for posting this.

• Like 8

That's a lovely post, David. Thank you.

I never met Steven, but it was my public and private interactions with him during a series of eGCI courses that convinced me to become a sustaining member. My cookery took off, I found kindred spirits here, and my life has been the better for his influence.

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I think about Steven often.  He was a friend and a mentor, and one of the smartest, funniest, warmest and most generous people I have ever met.  I remember fondly the times we spent together in NC, at several Heartland Gatherings and in my hometown of Chicago.  I help run a local food discussion forum here, and hardly a day goes by when I don't wonder how Steven would have handled one situation or another there.  Frankly, it'd be way beneath him but still, I know he would have happily given me guidance if I were able to ask him for it.  What a loss that he's not here with us.  They say only the good die young.  In Steven's case, that was certainly true.

Here's a shot of Steven, Ellen and PJ at the Rock & Roll HOF in Cleveland in August of 2011, where a bunch of us met up for a Heartland Gathering . . .

eGcleveland.2011.0805.01.steven&family.j

RIP, my friend.

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I never met Steven but we had many late evening conversations via some form of social media that I no longer recall although it was challenging to master. He was extremely generous to me and actually recommended me for some jobs which I ultimately was able to land. I miss him. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Remember the bento boxes?

I was just going to say this.  I loved reading and seeing what PJ was having that day.  I always thought it was so cool that Steven did that for him.

• Like 6