• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

Luckily this only happens to me in very vivid dreams!  Turkey on a holiday with a big group has been an issue twice. Once the oven gave up the ghost about half an hour in. I suggested the BBQ but NO - the others insisted on driving to a guest's house several miles away and using their ovens. Took forever. BUT since everyone was aware we were sble to laugh about it. Luckily chips and dip toned down the hunger pangs. I tried to serve the salad first (gussied up) but the traditionalists couldn't deal with the thought.... The second was using a new oven for the turkey.  After the first hour I went outside to pick citrus and expected to be greeted by lovely aromas when I came back in BUT my sister who can't leave well enough alone had checked the beast several times by opening oven door and not noticing that the display panel was prompting "push start to continue".  I suggested we try convection thinking it would speed things up and the meal was only an hour late.....  Good luck!

heidih

heidih

Luckily this only happens to me in very vivid dreams!  Turkey on a holiday with a big group has been an issue twice. Once the oven gave up the ghost about half an hour in. I suggested the BBQ but NO - the others insisted on driving to a guest's house several miles away and using their ovens. Took forever. BUT since everyone was aware we were sble to laugh about it. Luckily chips and dip toned down the hunger pangs. I tried to serve the salad first (gussied up) but the traditionalists couldn't deal with the thought.... The second was using a new oven for the turkey.  After the first hour I went outside to pick citrus and expected to be greeted by lovely aromas BUT my sister who can't leave well enough alone had checked the beast several times by opening oven door and not noticing that the display panel was prompting "push start to continue".  I suggested we try convection thinking it would sped things up and the meal was only an hour late.....  Good luck!