• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried Chestnuts

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

A friend just gave me a package of dried chestnuts and obviously they have to be processed somehow before using them. Do I boil them or let them reconstitute overnight in water? They are little hard rocks and something tells me they won't go quietly. The packaging says they're originally from Hong Kong by way of Vancouver and ending up in Brooklyn.

And then when they're soft enough, can I use them as I would fresh chestnuts? I assume I can't roast them like the fresh ones.

Thanks for your help!

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

1 hour ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

A friend just gave me a package of dried chestnuts and obviously they have to be processed somehow before using them. Do I boil them or let them reconstitute overnight in water? They are little hard rocks and something tells me they won't go quietly. The packaging says they're originally from Hong Kong by way of Vancouver and ending up in Brooklyn.

And then when they're soft enough, can I use them as I would fresh chestnuts? I assume I can't roast them like the fresh ones.

Thanks for your help!

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Is it possible to show me a picture of the packaging (assuming it's a commercial package)?

I'm wondering if it's what I buy here.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto