• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover jelly rings?

MelissaH

I've had a request for a homemade version of the chocolate-covered raspberry jelly rings that appear each year at Passover time. We all know that when they get old, they get hard and yucky, but when they're fresh they're soft and I admit to having a fondness for them also. There's also an orange version, but the raspberry is the one we all remember. Does anyone know where I can find a recipe?

The ones sold in stores are kosher parve, which means that they don't contain gelatin. A quick internet search tells me that the ingredient list includes pectin. Is it possible that they're just a version of pate de fruit, shaped in rings and then dipped in chocolate?

Thanks,

Melissa

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I wish I knew about these, its funny, I never knew these were a staple around Passover, I'm going to get a box the next time I go to the international market. As for producing them, I personally would go the route of making a pate de fruit and enrobing.

Searching on amazon, I've seen the jelly rings made from agar.

Joyva Chocolate Covered Raspberry Jelly Rings

Ingredients:

Sugar, corn syrup, chocolate, agar-agar, citric acid, artificial flavor, US certified color (includes red #40 and blue #1), chocolate contains: sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, soy lecithin (an emulsifier), vanillin (an artificial flavor)

As for the form, I have these:

Ozera Silicone Mini Donut Pan, Muffin Cups, Cake Mold, Biscuit Mold, 18 Cavity

It does work well, I'm not sure what brand it is, these same molds seem to be sold under a dozen different 'brand' names. Anywho, I do use this mold for gummy rings, it works well, you just need a funnel for depositing.

I hope it works out!

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon links to be eG-friendly (log)
  • Like 1