• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

1 hour ago, YetiChocolates said:

I explained to the person that most of my gananche batches have between 2-9% alcohol ... 

According to him there needs to be 0.5% or less alcohol content in order to bypass this license and labeling requirements, which I feel I meet, but has anyone else run into this?  

Which is it, 2-9% or under 1/2?  Or do you mean 2-9% of your ganache  by weight is a wine or liqueur that might only be 15-20% alcohol?  If 10% of your recipe is 40 proof (20% alcohol) spirits, doesn’t that make the whole recipe 2% abv?

Updating the labels is a pain but can probably be accomplished with a sticker.

Boozy chocolates came up elsewhere recently. Most states have strict rules, not just us.  

http://www.crowncandies.com/en/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/02/alcohol_confectionery.pdf

the above list is a few years old but says WA allows 1%, not half. I wonder if you could send a sample to the same labs that do all the cannabis testing. Or do you have any contacts at WSDA or your local health dept who could help you with the calculations?  

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

57 minutes ago, YetiChocolates said:

I explained to the person that most of my gananche batches have between 2-9% alcohol ... 

According to him there needs to be 0.5% or less alcohol content in order to bypass this license and labeling requirements, which I feel I meet, but has anyone else run into this?  

Which is it, 2-9% or under 1/2?  Or do you mean 2-9% of your ganache  by weight is a wine or liqueur that might only be 15-20% alcohol?  If 10% of your recipe is 40 proof (20% alcohol) spirits, doesn’t that make the whole recipe 2% abv?

Boozy chocolates came up elsewhere recently. Most states have strict rules, not just us.  

https://www.business-sweden.se/globalassets/exportteknik---new/bilder-i-guider/livsmedelsguiden/state-regulations-governing-alcohol-in-confectionery.doc

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

38 minutes ago, YetiChocolates said:

Boozy chocolates came up on another forum, many states have strict rules, not just us.