• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Need Help Finding Specific Bagging Machinery

DJ Silverchild

Good Afternoon!

I am looking for a solution to my packaging labor cost and productivity problems.  I'm not sure I'm using the proper terminology so please be patient.

I need to use child resistant barrier bags (link below) for small truffles, pate de fruit, and even bars.  We have to sticker both sides, 4-8 pieces and a silica packet are placed inside, and they need to be heat sealed.  My staff seems to be able to do a bag in a minute and a half (I know, right?).  Because I want to package the food right away, I need to bag 500 for 2 hours of hours at the end of the day with minimal labor.  Or maybe I do all the bagging on one day a week but that'd have to produce 1000+ bags in 8 hours and my current method is 25 hours of straight labor.

I literally have no idea where to begin.

https://www.clearbags.com/3-5-8-x-5-gold-backed-metallized-hanging-zipper-barrier-bags-100-pieces-hzbb4cg.html

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)

With so many different textures to package - I don't see a piece of packaging machinery that would do it all. You can get flow wrappers for bars, and baggers of various sorts.

Might want to see if you can attend a Pack Expo to see what is available.

Hmm.  Well, first of all, do the sticker-ing ahead of time, if possible.  You should be able to get those bags hot-stamped, at least on one side.   There is a cost, but stickers and labor cost money, too.  Here is an example of custom fees ... https://glerup.com/custom-packaging 

How many pairs of hands can you have on this at once?  I'd try an assembly line, one person puts the silica packet in, maybe two people are weighing/counting product and filling, a third closes and heat seals.  Many hands make light work. 

• Like 4

While I have no experience with professional pastry or food of any kind, I have a lot of experience running a labor intensive factory.

If equipment is too expensive, I'd start by trying to get the most out of your team.

First, break down your process into small chunks. Labels on bags can be one operation, adding silica another, product, sealing etc.

Then divide your staff so one person does one job at a time and batch your work so each step is very repetitive. That's part of the key - the repetitive motions will get refined over time and will go much faster.

The other issue is employee motivation. I find nothing motivates people doing boring repetitive work like money. We use an incentive system that is quite effective in getting the most out of our employees and keeps wasted time and motions to a minimum. Basically you create a realistic rate for each job. The rate should seem impossible to a new employee who is all thumbs, but an experienced, motivated worker can do 20% more than the rate. In addition to the base rate of pay, you pay extra for production that is faster than the rate, but the quality of the work can't suffer for it. But, if the worker does 5 hours worth of work (according to the rate) in say 4 hours, they would be paid for 4 hours + 1 hour production bonus.

• Like 4

Couple more thoughts - You don't have to childproof each piece, just seal the bag?

Is the silica packet required?  I think most confections don't really need desiccant and it may even be detrimental.  If you can get away without it, that saves a few cents and a step.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

You don't have to childproof each piece, just seal the bag?

Is the silica packet required?

I was wondering about that myself. The silica packet is the only reason I could think of for the childproofing. Too a kid, everything in a bag of candy might be considered candy. Of course, anybody with any experience with kids knows that most childproofing actually has the opposite of the intended effect and the kid usually ends up having to show the adult how to open the package. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thank you!  
Pastry Girl: Thank you for that link!!
Tri2Cook: I feel that the silica is good for the pate de fruits but I don't put it in with chocolate.
Yes I need to get more out of my staff...which are my friends and that's probably part of the issue but I know there's a better way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

The silica packet is the only reason I could think of for the childproofing. 

Hmmmm.  I would expect that cannabis edibles would require the same kind of packaging.:o

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Hmmmm.  I would expect that cannabis edibles would require the same kind of packaging.:o

Yes, here in WA each piece has to be individually sealed in 4 mil plastic film. I work part time for such a company, we have a flow wrap machine with a couple different sizes of film for different sized items. Once the pieces are wrapped they can go into regular paper boxes. 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yeah, I can definitely see that being a reason. I was just going by what was mentioned in the post. But I stand by my opinion that most childproof packaging is more often than not easily opened by the determined child and almost impossible to open by the average adult. :D

7 hours ago, DJ Silverchild said:

Tri2Cook: I feel that the silica is good for the pate de fruits but I don't put it in with chocolate.

I wasn't questioning your use of silica, you know what's best for your product. I was just trying to understand the need for childproof packaging.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

34 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

But I stand by my opinion that most childproof packaging is more often than not easily opened by the determined child and almost impossible to open by the average adult

Could not agree more. My pharmacist rigs my pill bottles so I can get into them. 😂

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, DJ Silverchild said:

Can I get a link for some of those flow-wrappers? We don't have to do that yet here but I'm sure it's coming.

Flow wrappers

9 hours ago, DJ Silverchild said:

Can I get a link for some of those flow-wrappers? We don't have to do that yet here but I'm sure it's coming.

The one we're using is very similar to this, with the roll of film below.  https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Down-Paper-Reel-Sticky-Loose-Product_60386176392.html?src=sem_ggl&mark=google_shopping&src=sem_ggl&mark=shopping&cmpgn=1675096474&adgrp=63830955303&locintrst=&locphyscl=9033538&ntwrk=s&device=c&dvcmdl=&position=1o3&pla_adtype=pla&pla_mrctid=129440162&pla_channel=online&pla_prdid=60386176392&pla_country=US&pla_lang=en&pla_group=293946777986&pla_localcode=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2L7jBRCBARIsAPeAsaP-jkueAmAMph_oYgLslxn0zoHb4z03C9NtV7Ti6Evo-FHo6WnoViUaAoWYEALw_wcB#shopping-ads

I don't know if the film in the pic is wrong or if that's just another way, but on ours the film goes all the way to the end of the left hand side then pulled back through a channel.  The film is guided into a trough shape and you place the candy on top of the film at regular intervals.  The edges of the film are pushed up and pass through one set of rollers to make the top seam then there is a set of heated crimpers that seal and cut the ends.  I can only keep up with about 40 pieces a minute but others can go faster, and it can help to have someone at the end watching the finished product for quality control.  

• Like 1