• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING...an eG Gathering in STL for Bulrush

Alex

It's almost time for many of you to hit the road so I wanted to offer some last minute suggestions. Remember that many big attractions are free in St Louis. It's an old historic deal for the land that was given to the city back before the city expanded beyond the riverfront. That means the zoo, art museum and many of the big attractions only charge for special exhibits. The zoo is considered one of the top 3 in the country and has for many, many years. Our Botanic Gardens is also considered top 3 and is doing a special event this weekend - a lighted nighttime event. And while I know many of you are going to Vicia on Friday, Friday night across the street from the Botanic Gardens is Tower Grove Park (I live one block from the garden), and this Friday is Food Truck Friday. It is absolutely the best food event in town - live music and a slew of food trucks with big trees offering lots of shade.

Our War Memorial and the Arch are both recently updated and both are spectacular!

You need your coffee...Sump is king for snobs (the owner just won some international award for coffee somethingorother). Comet, Blueprint are top tier but not snobbish. Comet is the one that I sent all the eG chocolatiers to and they agreed - great coffee and baked goods.

My favorite breakfasts - Egg on Gravois, Kitchen Kulture at the Tower Groves Farmers Market (If anyone wants to go to the farmers market with me let me know because I chat with all of my suppliers on Saturday mornings - you'd get the chef tour of the market.

My favorite lunches - Mac's Local Eats & Beast Butcher and Block

Best cocktail bar (Besides us of course) - Planter's House

Best beer for snobs - Side Project

Best beer for hanging out in a beer hall - Urban Chestnut (either location) or Earthbound (our buddies)

Lastly, please remember to show up a few minutes early. We start the seating at the reservation time and when folks come late they are served at the point of the rest of the group. Any missed courses are grouped as quickly as possible. Thanks.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Tower Groves Farmers Market (If anyone wants to go to the farmers market with me let me know because I chat with all of my suppliers on Saturday mornings - you'd get the chef tour of the market.

Ooh, I'd like this! How early do you usually go?

15 hours ago, TdeV said:

Ooh, I'd like this! How early do you usually go?

I go right at 8 before it gets too crowded and too hot.

14 hours ago, kayb said:

I'd be in on that as well. Always up for a good farmers'  market. Heck, I might even get stuff to take home with me.

This is a really good one - best in Stl.

11 hours ago, TdeV said:

National Weather Service shows flood warning for St Louis. Should we worry? (Coming from Illinois)

We've had that since spring. St. Louis is fine. It's really the surrounding country roads that have been a problem.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@gfron1, good news. Where should we meet?

(Please pick something obvious in Tower Grove Farmers' Market because I'm not familiar with St Louis)

The farmers market is on the circle in the center of the park. Since we'll be there at 8 you can find parking relatively easily (worst case park on Magnolia and walk the extra 50 yards, but you can get much closer than that parking by the tennis courts. We can meet on the steps of the concrete/stone pavilion next to (west of) the playground and play fountain. The farmers market surrounds that building...so if you're confused look for the food trucks and then look west 30 yards and it'll all be obvious. I'll look like the picture in my avatar to the left here minus the apron :)

• Like 1

What a great offer! Thanks. I'll be there, too. If something changes, I'll text you.

Ideally I'd be coming from Arsenal. It looks like there's some street parking on Center Cross Dr just south of the circle. (I'm guessing the parking spots on the circle are where the food trucks will be, yes?

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

3 hours ago, Alex said:

What a great offer! Thanks. I'll be there, too. If something changes, I'll text you.

Ideally I'd be coming from Arsenal. It looks like there's some street parking on Center Cross Dr just south of the circle. (I'm guessing the parking spots on the circle are where the food trucks will be, yes?

Center Cross/Tower Grove Ave will be full because of the food trucks and farmers. The roads inside of the park are all one way so you can go around the circle and enter the inner road on the northwest end of the circle...that's the tennis courts. You'll find easy parking then.

This gathering sounds like so much fun. I wish I hadn't had to pull the plug on coming. Have fun, everyone! I hope we see lots of pictures afterward!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown