• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING...an eG Gathering in STL for Bulrush

Alex

On 4/15/2019 at 3:11 PM, Alex said:

Here's the updated list. Anyone else? 

Confirmed

Alex +1

kayb 

Chris Hennes +1

cyalexa

Maybe

Smithy

heidih

chileheadmike

It's only about two weeks before it's time to get back to Rob with a firm head count, so here's one last chance to add your name to the list. A good time (and good food) is on the horizon...

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Thanks Alex. I got your PM. I'm going to have to back out. Too much life getting in the way of a good time at the moment.

Wish I could make it, hope everyone has a great time. I'm looking forward to reports and pictures.

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I've heard back from everyone. The group is as posted, with Smithy still a "maybe" (and our Airbnb hosts possibly joining us), so now we need to figure out a reservation time.

Our choices are:

5:45   

6:15   

6:45   

7:45   

8:15   

8:45    

I might be overthinking here, but let's try this. Could you (kayb, cyalexa, Chris) attach a score from 1 to 5 to each of those times? A score can be awarded more than once. 

1 = I'd really, really rather not 

2 = If I have to, well, alright, but I'd much prefer another time

3 = OK, yeah, whatever

4 = Maybe not my ideal time, but sure, I'm good with this.

5 = Preferred

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Here's mine: 

5:45   3

6:15   4

6:45   5

7:45   3

8:15   2

8:45   1

On 5/28/2019 at 6:38 PM, Alex said:

I've heard back from everyone. The group is as posted, with Smithy still a "maybe" (and our Airbnb hosts possibly joining us), so now we need to figure out a reservation time.

Our choices are:

5:45   

6:15   

6:45   

7:45   

8:15   

8:45    

I might be overthinking here, but let's try this. Could you (kayb, cyalexa, Chris) attach a score from 1 to 5 to each of those times? A score can be awarded more than once. 

1 = I'd really, really rather not 

2 = If I have to, well, alright, but I'd much prefer another time

3 = OK, yeah, whatever

4 = Maybe not my ideal time, but sure, I'm good with this.

5 = Preferred

5:45   -- 2

6:15   -- 3

6:45   -- 5

7:45   -- 4

8:15   -- 2 

8:45  -- 2  

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

By a narrow margin, 6:45 it is. I'll get a decision from my Airbnb hosts, then send a PM to Rob.

Whenever we're ready, we can post about dinner plans for other nights and whether we'd be up for company, then, too. Right now we have our eye on these places: 

Sidney Street Cafe 

Savage 

Olio 

and possibly Elmwood

There is a German restaurant in the Forest Park area where I ate last time I was up there. It was marvelous. If anyone has an interest, I'll try to remember/look up where it is.

Rigazzi's, on The Hill, is a wonderful old-school Italian. Nothing fancy, just your basic red-sauce place, good homemade pasta. Been there for centuries.

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 5/29/2019 at 7:43 PM, Alex said:

Whenever we're ready, we can post about dinner plans for other nights and whether we'd be up for company, then, too. Right now we have our eye on these places: 

Sidney Street Cafe 

Savage 

Olio 

and possibly Elmwood

Of course I'll have opinions on other places to eat and can give a better description of each. I'll do that shortly. 

On 5/29/2019 at 8:12 PM, kayb said:

There is a German restaurant in the Forest Park area where I ate last time I was up there. It was marvelous. If anyone has an interest, I'll try to remember/look up where it is.

Rigazzi's, on The Hill, is a wonderful old-school Italian. Nothing fancy, just your basic red-sauce place, good homemade pasta. Been there for centuries.

I have no idea what German place you're thinking of. Rigazzi's is very low quality. If I were heading to The Hill (The historic Italian community) I would go to J Devoti, Tratorria Marcella or Gioia's Deli.

12 hours ago, cyalexa said:

@gfron1 or anyone else, lodging ideas? 

For a splurge (but often deals) look at Angard Hotel, Marriott Courtyard Downtown West is where the chocolate workshop stayed. There's also plenty of good airbnbns and traditional bnbs. Feel free to message me if you have questions about neighborhoods.

And @Alex I have put the reservation in the system. 

It pains me to give up the dream, but I'm going to have to change my "maybe" to a "no". Discretionary funds just took a serious hit. 

I hope y'all have a wonderful time! Post lots of pictures, and make the rest of us envious!

• Sad 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 4 weeks later...

Last night Ian Froeb the Post-Dispatch's reviewer paid a visit. That means (most likely) his scouts had already made their visits, which means a written review is coming right before you all come to town. We have no reason to suspect anything other than a good review, although sure as shit if half of our guests arrived late for their seatings last night which really threw us into some chaos. I guess we'll see how much of it he saw.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Last night Ian Froeb the Post-Dispatch's reviewer paid a visit. That means (most likely) his scouts had already made their visits, which means a written review is coming right before you all come to town. We have no reason to suspect anything other than a good review, although sure as shit if half of our guests arrived late for their seatings last night which really threw us into some chaos. I guess we'll see how much of it he saw.

How rude! (The guests, not the reviewer.) Let's hope he had enough "restaurant sense" to have noticed why things were chaotic.

I'd say that would depend on Rob -- whether he can squeeze another one into our reservation. I know all of us going would be delighted to meet another eG'er.

@gfron1 -- how about it? Room for one more?

Don't ask. Eat it.

I'm sorry for dithering. My friend has jury duty and wasn't released today, she may to go in tomorrow; she told me she has to serve all week. So worst case, we'll leave on Friday afternoon and get in too late for the Friday night dinner. If she's unable to go, I should know before Friday, and then I will come on my own–which day, I don't know yet.

4 hours ago, TdeV said:

Thanks, Rob, recommendations for housing would be helpful.

Depends on price point. Hotel Ignacio is very close and cute as a button. Angad is extremely hip and cool, and certainly pricier. The eG Chocolate group stayed at Marriott Courtyard West.  And there's a Drury that is probably best value and super location.

2 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

@gfron1 what are your feelings on cameras at this event? I normally hate taking photos at restaurants, but was wondering if I shouldn't make an exception this time around given the eG interest in seeing what you are up to. 

You certainly won't be the only one. It's common and our room is lit such that it's not disruptive to the other diners.

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

I'm sorry for dithering. My friend has jury duty and wasn't released today, she may to go in tomorrow; she told me she has to serve all week. So worst case, we'll leave on Friday afternoon and get in too late for the Friday night dinner. If she's unable to go, I should know before Friday, and then I will come on my own–which day, I don't know yet.

We will continue to play it by ear until the moment that we can no longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coming in Friday, staying downtown. Looking forward to seeing the crowd at Vicia Friday night, and obviously looking forward to Bulrush on Saturday!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.