• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING...an eG Gathering in STL for Bulrush

Alex

12 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Unfortunately, I need to travel to North Dakota August 14 to August 21.

I can't afford both trips so I'm going to have to bow-out this time.

What a total bummer...I was really looking forward to the visit. 

:(

Too bad, indeed. I was looking forward to meeting you. We'll drink a toast in your honor.

Here's the updated list. Anyone else thinking of coming?

Confirmed

Alex +1

kaybe  #?

robirdstx +1

Chris Hennes +1

joiei  #?

Maybe

IowaDee 

cdh 

Smithy

heidih

chileheadmike

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

3 hours ago, cdh said:

I'm out as well... your dates cover my mom's birthday... 

Bring her along! 🎂

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

We'll release our reservation system the middle of next week (anticipated), and we release seats 30 days prior so I will block off the seats so there's not stress around that. If people do cancellations late (more than 48 hours) I can easily release the seats so no worries there either. Our website went live last night.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cyalexa said:

Count me in for the dinner. I'm not a sports fan so probably won't go to the game. Any other activities being planned?  

Nothing formal yet. Lots of things to do there, though.

Here's the updated list. Anyone else?

Confirmed

Alex +1

kaybe  #?

robirdstx +1

Chris Hennes +1

joiei  #?

cyalexa

Maybe

IowaDee 

Smithy

heidih

chileheadmike

12 hours ago, cyalexa said:

@Alex, I may have a plus one. When do you need confirmation?

By June 10. Reservations open 30 days in advance.of the date.

I am not going to be able to attend, I have a wedding to go to that day.  Y'all have a fun time.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Confirmed

Alex +1

kayb 

robirdstx +1

Chris Hennes +1

cyalexa

Maybe

IowaDee 

Smithy

heidih

chileheadmike

Edited by Alex (log)

Confirmed

Alex +1

kayb 

robirdstx +1

Chris Hennes +1

cyalexa

Maybe

Smithy

heidih

chileheadmike

4 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Just confirming - July 13th? I took reservations live last night and want to block off the whole room until we have a final count.

Yes, July 13. Thanks for checking. At this point it's eight confirmed, with a few maybes. I'm aiming to have a final count by June 10.

Confirmed

Alex +1

kayb 

Chris Hennes +1

cyalexa

Maybe

Smithy

heidih

chileheadmike

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd bump this up to see if there are any additions/subtractions/changes.

Our schedule has changed a bit and we won't be going to a ballgame, so if there's going to be coordinated tickets, someone else will need to do that.

54 minutes ago, kayb said:

So dinner is Saturday night? If anyone else is up for a game on Friday, I'll be interested.

Yes, dinner is Saturday.