• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING...an eG Gathering in STL for Bulrush

Alex

Make me a maybe... if the date you choose has availability for a frequent flyer freebie flight, I like the idea.  Hasn't been a eG meetup in far too long.  But I'm not dropping $300 for airfare to do it. So proceed amongst yourselves, and if what you decide to do works with my pile of miles/points, then I might join you.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

1 hour ago, cdh said:

Make me a maybe... if the date you choose has availability for a frequent flyer freebie flight, I like the idea.  Hasn't been a eG meetup in far too long.  But I'm not dropping $300 for airfare to do it. So proceed amongst yourselves, and if what you decide to do works with my pile of miles/points, then I might join you.

Sounds good. July 13 at Bulrush is a go, plus however many days on either side you choose to stay. We'll probably be in town at least Thursday through Monday. Hope you can make it; it'll be good to see you again.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm essentially in @cdh's boat. I'm such a tentative "maybe" that I haven't wanted to speak up to influence the vote. That said, the July dates are the best for me. If I can get there inexpensively enough, I'm there. Please keep us updated as to deadlines for registration at Bulrush, as well as reasonable lead times for finding a decent hotel.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Confirmed

Alex +1

kaybe  #?

robirdstx +1

DiggingDogFarm «

Chris Hennes +1

joiei  #?

Maybe

IowaDee 

cdh 

Smithy

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Tentativ as well. Don't know my summer term class schedule yet. I'll check in here and let you know if it works.  This will at least prompt me to get my passport renewed to meet the new TSA regs...California is not compliant yet...

Edited by heidih (log)

Confirmed

Alex +1

kaybe  #?

robirdstx +1

DiggingDogFarm «

Chris Hennes +1

joiei  #?

Maybe

IowaDee 

cdh 

Smithy

heidih

chileheadmike

Ms Alex and I are big fans of Airbnb; in fact, we've already booked ours for this trip. In addition to whatever lodging information Rob provides, I'd be glad to list a few good-looking and very reasonably priced places that popped up during my search.

• Like 2

Here are a couple of five-star Airbnbs for your consideration.

This is a 600 sq ft cottage in Carondelet with a regular bed and a sofa bed (and an air mattress, if needed). It's absurdly cheap -- currently $262 for four nights. The only drawback is that it looks to have only one window air conditioner for the whole place. I'd ask the hosts about that. I'd also ask the hosts to confirm the free off-street parking ("free parking on premises").

This is an even cheaper ($204 for four nights) private bedroom w/private bath in Central West End. Again, I'd confirm the free off-street parking. Rob says that CWE has a lot of weekend partying going on, but the reviews say the place is quiet., 

And this one was our backup choice. It has three bedrooms, so it'd be perfect if anyone wants to arrange sharing a place. It's currently $424 for four nights. Also free off-street parking.

• Like 2

Rob told me he plans to release seats for reservations only 30 days out, so we have until the first week of June to make a final commitment and give him a head count. Feel free to post before then, of course, but I'll post another reminder toward the end of May. I'd also be glad to answer questions or give advice re Airbnb, Hotwire, or Priceline. And Rob also will be posting at some point about lodging, etc. I'm looking forward to this trip a lot.

I don't drive—so I'd like to find lodging as close to Bulrush as possible.

Unless something else makes more sense.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I'd imagine that for those flying in, that relying on ride-share services would likely be less expensive and less hassle than renting a car... no worries about parking, etc.  I have no idea if St Louis is at all walkable, but I'd hope that there are neighborhoods there that don't require a car, and the city hasn't done anything as monumentally dumb as trying to run Uber and friends out of town... 

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I don't travel much—like almost never.

My last trip was a road trip to visit my Sister and B-I-L near Frankfort, Indiana in 2009—my Mom was the driver.

Prior to that I left for a 3 week trip to Spain on September 11, 2002 (tickets were cheap) to visit a friend.

So, when the time comes, if anyone enjoys trip planning—I'd appreciate the help.

Just hope I can handle the stress and anxiety.

:)

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

It looks like the Central West End Airbnb I posted isn't far from Bulrush. Also, we'll be driving to StL, and our car fits three in the back seat, so we'd be glad to do some chauffeuring.

• Like 1

In addition to Airbnb I also checked out misterb&b.

I need to closely tally all expected costs to make sure I can afford the trip and stuff—I'm on a fixed income.

I'd probably only stay over two nights—Friday and Saturday.

I'm definitely not crazy about taking a bus—I'm not fond of big city bus stations!

Hmmmm....bus is less than half the cost of air.

Maybe I can tolerate big city bus stations one more time. LOL :laugh:

I did take a bus trip to Forest City, NC in 2001—I was there on September 11th, due to return home that day via the bus station in Washington, DC, among others! shock2.gif

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I don't drive—so I'd like to find lodging as close to Bulrush as possible.

Walking distance from us is the Angad Hotel (which is incredibly cool if you can get a good price - try calling) and Hotel Ignacio. Both are boutique hotels and I show them at $125 a night which isn't bad at all. I know for a fact that Angad can be booked even cheaper because they are new and out of towners haven't discovered them yet so I've seen prices under $100 a night. Keep in mind that anything in the city is an easy 10 minute drive or less. So you can find an air bnb in south city (Benton Park, Fox Park, Shaw, Tower Grove, Forest Park East, etc) and drive or uber very easily. I personally avoid the Central West End (CWE) because parking is a pain, its more of a party atmosphere and there's a bit more crime. 

14 hours ago, cdh said:

I'd imagine that for those flying in, that relying on ride-share services would likely be less expensive and less hassle than renting a car... no worries about parking, etc.  I have no idea if St Louis is at all walkable, but I'd hope that there are neighborhoods there that don't require a car, and the city hasn't done anything as monumentally dumb as trying to run Uber and friends out of town... 

Parking isn't too bad here in town unless you go downtown, but I Lyft regularly and rarely do I pay over $10 per trip. 

13 hours ago, Alex said:

It looks like the Central West End Airbnb I posted isn't far from Bulrush. Also, we'll be driving to StL, and our car fits three in the back seat, so we'd be glad to do some chauffeuring.

CWE is not far, but absolutely not walking distance. And my comments about the district are only because I'm becoming a Get Off My Lawn old man. My niece loves the area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got it on my calendar. Likely just me; if it winds up being a +1 I'll try to give y'all some notice. 

I'm a huge fan of Air BnB. Will also check into the hotels @gfron1 referenced. 

Are we going to try to get Cards tickets in a group, or how do we want to handle that?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Are we going to try to get Cards tickets in a group, or how do we want to handle that?

I was planning to post about that some time in May, when we can get an initial head count, seating preference (price/location), etc. Then, if we're buying as a group, we can do that in mid-June, after we have our final count. How does that plan sound?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I was planning to post about that some time in May, when we can get an initial head count, seating preference (price/location), etc. Then, if we're buying as a group, we can do that in mid-June, after we have our final count. How does that plan sound?

Works for me. I'd enjoy going as part of a group.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I know it is early, but Right Field is a must for us. And price $100 or less per ticket is preferred.

36 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

I know it is early, but Right Field is a must for us. And price $100 or less per ticket is preferred.

Right field line or outfield or either?

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I need to travel to North Dakota August 14 to August 21.

I can't afford both trips so I'm going to have to bow-out this time.

What a total bummer...I was really looking forward to the visit. 

:(