• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING...an eG Gathering in STL for Bulrush

Alex

I suspect most of you have read gfron1's forum, "Starting a high profile new restaurant (after closing another)." That new restaurant, Bulrush, is, fingers crossed, only about a month away from opening and has already generated some buzz, primarily for its focus on foraged ingredients.

Some of us were thinking, then, that it'd be fun to head to St Louis this summer to have dinner at Bulrush and, it's hoped, spend some time with Rob. And there are a bunch of other great attractions in the city, including art museums, the City Museum, Botanical Garden, and Major League Baseball (St Louis Cardinals). Oh, and St Louis-style pizza and ribs.

Later on we can organize any activities (e.g., ballgame) and decide which night to eat at Bulrush (Saturday seems the most likely). In the meantime, here are four possible weekends, chosen because the Cards will be playing at home. So if you could humor my inner geek, please rank-order them from your most-preferred to your least-preferred weekend. You can do this however you like, but the easiest probably would be simply putting 1, 2, 3, and 4 by the dates. Some dates may be tied -- for example, if you have two weekends that are equally good (or equally bad) -- but please think hard and rank-order them anyway.

Separate from the rankings, please say if you might attend one of the weekends, but the odds are less than 50-50 at this point. Also, please say which weekend, if any, is absolutely out of the question. I'll potentially use that information as a kind of tiebreaker.

May 31-June 2

June 21-23

July 12-14

July 26-28

• Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

May 31-June 2 -- Out for me. Got to be in East Tennessee that weekend

June 21-23 -- 3. Not a calendar prob, but my birthday is the following Tuesday, and who knows what the kids may cook up? On the other hand, I can't think of many better ways to celebrate my birthday than a Cards game and dinner with friends.

July 12-14 -- 1 or 2, no conflicts

July 26-28 -- ditto

Looking forward to this! @gfron1, I can bring more jams/jellies/preserves, if you're needing some, or make a stop to pick up sorghum!

Edited by kayb
because I can't type. (log)
  • Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

May 31-June 2  -  4 (can not do)

June 21-23 - 2 (Cards playing the Angels)

July 12-14 - 1 (Cards playing Arizona)

July 26-28  - 3 (Cards playing the Astros) * (Sadly have to edit to can not do)

* I grew up in St. Louis and still have family living there. The Cards are my team, but I have been in Texas (Austin and Houston areas) for almost 35 years, so that makes the July 26-28 dates my top pick. Go Cards!

Edited by robirdstx
Change in rate of dates (log)

July 26-28 (definitely preferred)

July 12-14

I'm definitely all in for Bulrush, but I'm not sure how much other stuff I can afford, after trip and stay costs—probably not much.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1. Bulrush

2. Ribs

3. Pizza

xD

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

8 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I'm definitely all in for Bulrush, but I'm not sure how much other stuff I can afford, after trip and stay costs—probably not much.

One of the things people don't know is that a vast amount of high-caliber culture and entertainment is free in St Louis. Almost all of the museums (including the zoo) is free. Special exhibits cost but general admission is free. It has to do with the historic donation of the land that houses most of them, and the stipulations that fees not be charged.

• Like 4

Looks like Delta airfare would be ~$327 and Greyhound ~$182.

50 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

What are the closest commercial airports to you?

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

What are the closest commercial airports to you?

Elmira, NY (ELM) is the closet, only about 5 miles away.

1 hour ago, gfron1 said:

Since some of y'all are looking at airports, keep in mind that Mid America Airport (BLV) is just as close to downtown as Lambert International. Allegient Air flies into there super cheaply!

Allegiant only flies to Florida airports out of Elmira. 

And I don't drive, so heading to another airport would seriously complicate.

Ugh! :S

6 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

I can't make May 31-June 2, but the other three are about equal for me. I work at a public library so summer is my busy season: I can make a Saturday dinner, but might not be able to do anything else.

Chris, could you still rate those three, please, even if they're very close?

1 hour ago, gfron1 said:

Since some of y'all are looking at airports, keep in mind that Mid America Airport (BLV) is just as close to downtown as Lambert International. Allegient Air flies into there super cheaply!

Thanks, Rob. Southwest used to run a very cheap non-stop from Grand Rapids to STL, but it was discontinued a couple of years ago.

13 hours ago, Alex said:

Chris, could you still rate those three, please, even if they're very close?

I can now, I had to consult with my travel planner a.k.a. my wife :) --

1 - June 21-23 (totally open)

2 - July 12-14 (would miss a non-critical meeting)

3 - July 26-28 (have show tickets that Saturday, less than 50% chance I'd make it)

4 - May 31-June 2 (Cannot attend at all)

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

May 31-June 2  Judging SCA steaks in Kansas City on the 31 and judging KCBS bbq in Baldwin City, KS on the 1st.

June 21-23  Judging SCA steaks in Springfield, MO on the 21 and judging KCBS bbq in Oklahoma City on the 22nd.

July 12-14  woohoo, free weekend

July 26-28  Also a free weekend

I enjoy free things to do.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

5 hours ago, joiei said:

May 31-June 2  Judging SCA steaks in Kansas City on the 31 and judging KCBS bbq in Baldwin City, KS on the 1st.

June 21-23  Judging SCA steaks in Springfield, MO on the 21 and judging KCBS bbq in Oklahoma City on the 22nd.

July 12-14  woohoo, free weekend

July 26-28  Also a free weekend

I enjoy free things to do.  

Thanks, joiei. Obviously the two July dates are preferred, but could you rank-order the four weekends anyway?

On 2/19/2019 at 2:57 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Check fare into Memphis. If it's cheaper, I could pick you up there and we could ride up. I'd be glad of the company.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 2/21/2019 at 7:51 PM, kayb said:

Check fare into Memphis. If it's cheaper, I could pick you up there and we could ride up. I'd be glad of the company.

Looks like it's a little bit more to fly to Memphis. :(

• Sad 1

This forum has been quiet for a while ("Yeah, too quiet"), so I thought I bump it to see if anyone else wanted to join in. I also wanted to start firming up the date. I know it's still 4+ months away, but I'm a planner, and our summer is already filling in, with two conferences and two concerts already set. I also like getting an early start on lodging reservations.

I haven't gotten joiei's final rank order yet, but it'll make a difference only with how close the top two dates are. The May and June dates are clearly at the bottom of the order. In fact, May has already been sent down to the minors. By all three decision methods -- plurality/majority, Borda count, and Condorcet -- July 12-14 edged July 26-27 for first place. And even if we were going to consider a run-off between the two, the former is still favored, as one person strongly preferred the 26th but could be there for the 12th, while another couldn't make the 26th at all. (This was the tiebreaker I mentioned in my OP). Also, I think it'd be moderately cool to celebrate Bastille Day in a city founded by the French (even if Louis IX did die while on a crusade).

So let's say July 12-14 unless a compelling reason arises otherwise. The 13th makes the most sense for dinner at Bulrush. Then, if we like, we can work on other meals and activities when we reconvene our planning session in a few months. In the meantime, ideas and suggestions are more than welcome. However, just so Rob can do some preliminary planning, I think it would be a good idea to get an initial headcount. Could everyone post whether it'll be just you or if you'll have a +1, +2, etc? I'll be a +1.

So far, we have, in order of appearance:

Alex 

kaybe

robirdstx

DiggingDogFarm

Chris Hennes

joiei

(IowaDee is a maybe)

Thanks. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone (and Chris for the second time).

One of me is enough! xD

Yes, it'll be just me if all goes well.

Amtrak is dirt cheap out of Rochester, NY, but finding a way back and forth to Rochester may be more trouble than it's worth.

The housemate's vehicle has reached the age where it's not reliable—in fact, it's in the shop right now for a $1,000 repair!

And once folks start talking lodging I'll jump in with suggestions. I've been kinda quiet because I'm a bit humbled that you all are doing this. But I do want to make sure you have the insiders perspective on where to stay and where to eat and play. There are definitely places you should go that aren't the Yelp spots.

• Like 2

Thanks for the quick replies. So far, we have:

Alex +1

kaybe  ?

robirdstx +1

DiggingDogFarm «

Chris Hennes +1

joiei  ?

(IowaDee is a maybe)