• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electronic versions of chocolatier books

julie99nl

I'm going on holiday for the coming 3 weeks and I'm looking for some books for chocolatiers in electronic format. I've also got a ban placed on me for buying any more books because I have an attic, a shed, rooms and rooms full of every cooking, gardening and fictional book you can imagine.
I've been looking all day for anything by Stephane Leroux, but I've had no luck. I've got Notter, Greweling, and Wybauw in hardcover but I wish I could get any of them in electronic versions as well.

Any other recommendations?

29 minutes ago, julie99nl said:

I'm going on holiday for the coming 3 weeks and I'm looking for some books for chocolatiers in electronic format. I've also got a ban placed on me for buying any more books because I have an attic, a shed, rooms and rooms full of every cooking, gardening and fictional book you can imagine.
I've been looking all day for anything by Stephane Leroux, but I've had no luck. I've got Notter, Greweling, and Wybauw in hardcover but I wish I could get any of them in electronic versions as well.

Any other recommendations?

Greweling comes as a kindle book. Can you get it in the Netherlands? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I8XF5MY/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1550435893&sr=8-1

Edited by Pastrypastmidnight (log)
  • Like 1

Notter was available as kindle format on Amazon UK (I think it was the UK and not the US but can't swear) some weeks ago, just gave a look to check but now it's not available. Maybe I was drunk?

Time ago @Kerry Beal pointed out that Wybauw books are free to read on Google Books Canada.

I highly doubt that the artful books (Leroux, Morato...) will ever get an electronic version, they are intended to be artful books to be sold for artful money.

"Making Artisan Chocolates" by Andrew Garrison Shotts is available as kindle format.

Chocolate com Frutas Brasileiras is available for free, I like it a lot since it's stuff I don't know, but its usefulness is non existent since those fruits are not available here in Europe. It's in Portuguese, if you don't know it just copy and paste on Google Translate.

The book by Dandelion Chocolate is available as kindle format, don't know if you are interested in bean to bar, if so it's a great book.

Theo Chocolate has a kindle book that covers various arguments (bean to bar, bonbons...), but I've been told it's written for the home user and not the professionals.

"The Elements of Dessert" by Francisco Migoya is now available as kindle format, it's a great book for modern creative pastry, there is a little section on chocolate but maybe it's too little if you are interested only in chocolate.

There are kindle versions of some of the Ecole Lenotre books (for really cheap price if compared to the hardcover editions) but unfortunately not the 2 on chocolate, maybe they'll be available in the future.

There are various books for the home users, like Kirsten Tibballs and Carole Bloom, but maybe you are not interested in "easy" stuff.

Plus there are all the scientific/technical books, like Geoff Talbot and Ferenc Mohos, they are pretty informative and a really insightful read, but they are REALLY EXPENSIVE and not that useful for the artisan.

This is all I can think about now.

Teo

Teo

6 hours ago, teonzo said:

Notter was available as kindle format on Amazon UK (I think it was the UK and not the US but can't swear) some weeks ago, just gave a look to check but now it's not available. Maybe I was drunk?

Time ago @Kerry Beal pointed out that Wybauw books are free to read on Google Books Canada.

I highly doubt that the artful books (Leroux, Morato...) will ever get an electronic version, they are intended to be artful books to be sold for artful money.

"Making Artisan Chocolates" by Andrew Garrison Shotts is available as kindle format.

Chocolate com Frutas Brasileiras is available for free, I like it a lot since it's stuff I don't know, but its usefulness is non existent since those fruits are not available here in Europe. It's in Portuguese, if you don't know it just copy and paste on Google Translate.

The book by Dandelion Chocolate is available as kindle format, don't know if you are interested in bean to bar, if so it's a great book.

Theo Chocolate has a kindle book that covers various arguments (bean to bar, bonbons...), but I've been told it's written for the home user and not the professionals.

"The Elements of Dessert" by Francisco Migoya is now available as kindle format, it's a great book for modern creative pastry, there is a little section on chocolate but maybe it's too little if you are interested only in chocolate.

There are kindle versions of some of the Ecole Lenotre books (for really cheap price if compared to the hardcover editions) but unfortunately not the 2 on chocolate, maybe they'll be available in the future.

There are various books for the home users, like Kirsten Tibballs and Carole Bloom, but maybe you are not interested in "easy" stuff.

Plus there are all the scientific/technical books, like Geoff Talbot and Ferenc Mohos, they are pretty informative and a really insightful read, but they are REALLY EXPENSIVE and not that useful for the artisan.

This is all I can think about now.

Teo

I'll check amazon.uk when I have my layover at Heathrow. Right now, it's only displaying the hardback and paperback editions.

I'll check out the Brazilian book. I can speak Spanish, and understand enough Portuguese to read and follow along.

I have an electronic subscription to the magazine Fou de Patisserie, which is always nice and I do need to catch up. There is an additional to their bimonthly called the Opus editions and one is for Chocolate. For anyone that doesn't know it, it's a lovely magazine with representations from all the current pastry chef rock stars. http://www.foudepatisserie.com/

I have the Andrew Garrison Shotts e-book

I know a chef friend of mine has access to an electronic version of Leroux's first book. But I only want a legal copy. I would buy Bleu if it meant I could get the technical book in e-format.
Thanks for all your other suggestions. I love all kinds of pastry books!

13 hours ago, julie99nl said:

I'll check amazon.uk when I have my layover at Heathrow. Right now, it's only displaying the hardback and paperback editions.

I don't know what's happening on Amazon. I'm sure the third Migoya book was available in kindle format on Amazon Italy since I wrote about it to a friend. I checked yesterday and it's not available anymore, while it's still available on the US site. Weird, since they don't have the hassle of keeping physical copies.

I'll check out the Brazilian book. I can speak Spanish, and understand enough Portuguese to read and follow along.

I hope you will like it as much as I do!

I have an electronic subscription to the magazine Fou de Patisserie, which is always nice and I do need to catch up. There is an additional to their bimonthly called the Opus editions and one is for Chocolate. For anyone that doesn't know it, it's a lovely magazine with representations from all the current pastry chef rock stars. http://www.foudepatisserie.com/

Yup, I got the first couple numbers from someone who traveled to France (they did not ship to foreign addresses at the time), then stopped. I cut my spendings on books and magazines, both for lack of space and the fact that finding something new is more and more difficult (I don't need the 7984537th Paris Brest revisitation).

10 hours ago, Rajala said:

Thanks for the other suggestions Teo, the nerd in me really want to read technical books you wrote about. 

I have a copy of the book by Minifie (now I see it has the kindle edition as well), which is the "original" of this kind of technical books. I was lucky to find a used copy for around 20 euro, I would never have spent more than 30 euro for that. It's really informative, I'm glad to have it, but it's just a "curiosity", the useful infos for an artisan are really really few. So I suggest you to look frequently at Amazon, sometimes there is a used copy for cheap, you must be quick to see and grab it before others.

Teo

Teo