• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fast-food fries, according to the LA Times

Dave the Cook

This is a sort-of fun ranking of the fries available at various fast-food outlets. It would be odd if I agreed with the entire list, but it does have some integrity. I also note that, in general, it aligns with my understanding of what eG members think about fast-food fries: I've read many times that while Five Guys' burgers are on the high range of acceptability, their fries are outstanding; I've also read that In 'n' Out's burgers are great, but the fries kind of suck. 

In the course of the article, I did find out a few things, like there's a chain called "Wienerschitzel" that doesn't serve wienerschnitzel. There's a chain called "Jollibee," with a dish called "Chickenjoy." Also, Del Taco serves fries -- and they're pretty good.

• Like 5

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

23 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

In the course of the article, I did find out a few things, like there's a chain called "Wienerschitzel" that doesn't serve wienerschnitzel. There's a chain called "Jollibee," with a dish called "Chickenjoy." Also, Del Taco serves fries -- and they're pretty good.

"Wienerschnitzel" used to be called "Der Wienerschnitzel" but they've dropped the "Der" which sounds like a punchline. It has always been a hot dog fast food chain. Their name makes no sense considering what they sell. It's one of the few fast food joints that serve a polish dog (on bread with pickles) and most in my area have combined with "Tasty Freeze" so you can have soft serve treats with your hot dogs. Once a year, they feature pastrami on their dogs, fries and as a sandwich. I have fond memories as a child of my Dad bringing home their mustard dogs for a family treat (meaning my mom wasn't home to do the cooking).

Jollibee is a popular Filipino chain. I believe one will be built in Delano, just up the freeway from here, which has one of the largest Filipino populations outside of the Philippines.

And yes, I think the Del Taco french fries are pretty darn good. 

Jack-in-the-Box is evil. Their french fries suck but if you want their Curly Fries, which taste far better, they charge you more! A pox on their stock price for that! :laugh:

And poor Rally's...their french fries are actually battered fries. They have some sort of seasoned flour coating on them which makes them a very different animal than normal fries. Personally, I like them.

And you're an idiot if you order french fries at Sonic. They are one of the few fast food restaurants that serve tater tot-like tots. Very potato-ey. Much better than their fries. If you go to Sonic, say "yes' to the tots! :cool:

• Like 4

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I haven't had fries from every place on that list, but I'd say it matches up fairly well with what I have had.  

I've only had fries from Five Guys once, but I'd put them at the top.  

Only had fries from In-N-Out a couple of times, and I'd put them near the bottom (I'd order them well-done if I'm ever there again.)  

I don't know why more places don't do crinkle cut fries. They can be very good.

I agree with Toliver to skip the fries at Sonic and get tater tots instead.

Wienerschnitzel is a guilty pleasure for me.  Their fries aren't very good, but sometimes a chili cheese dog(or two) with onions from there is just what I want.  The components are cheap but come together to produce something better than it should be.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 1

Three "yea" votes: I will order tots over fries almost every time they're offered. It's hard to screw up a tot. Likewise, i prefer Arby's potato cakes (do they still make them?) over their curly fries. 

But alas, a tot is not a fry.

I figured Wienerschnitzel and Jollibee for California, or at least west-coast, chains, as I'd never heard of them. Del Taco is mostly west-coast, too, is it not? Though for a while in the (maybe 70s), there was a store in Atlanta.

And because the LA Times didn't make it out here, they missed Krystal, the southern version of White Castle. They do a decent fry, served in a truncated drink cup, which does a decent job of avoiding the steaming effect caused by jamming a lot of hot fried potatoes into a waxy bag.

• Like 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

28 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

...Likewise, i prefer Arby's potato cakes (do they still make them?) over their curly fries. 

Yes, Arby still offers potato cakes/triangles. They sell them per piece and I think they're quite pricey. Ore-Ida used to sell potato cakes/triangles in grocery stores but not anymore. I keep trawling through non-California based grocery stores,  like Win Co, in hopes the brands they carry might still manufacture the triangles. But so far...no go. :(

...I figured Wienerschnitzel and Jollibee for California, or at least west-coast, chains, as I'd never heard of them. Del Taco is mostly west-coast, too, is it not? 

You are correct, sir. I am a lifetime left coaster and have grown up with all of those restaurants (though Jollibees are relatively new to the state and are sparse at the moment). Del Taco used to be looked upon as a poor man's Taco Bell (which isn't saying much). Del Taco serves hamburgers, as well as Mexican-ish food. When you order a combo of their Mexican-ish food, you get fries in the combo so I think you get a little more value than at other restaurants. They have fish tacos now and yes, their french fries are quite good. Taco Bell is late to the game with their Nacho Fries (their seasoning makes them).

And I have never heard of Krystal and my life must be lacking because I have never had a White Castle hamburger (no restaurants out this way).

Tim Oliver

8 minutes ago, Toliver said:

And I have never heard of Krystal and my life must be lacking because I have never had a White Castle hamburger (no restaurants out this way).

Drunk food.

Missing nothing, Toliver.

I like Del Taco a little better than Taco Bell.  I usually get a Del Beef burrito from there and add some extra cheddar when I get it home.  Their street tacos pretty good but a bit pricey compared to my local taquerias.  I haven't had a burger from there, but I have had their fries, and they are good.

I've only had frozen supermarket White Castle sliders which I would hope are a poor imitation of the real thing because they aren't great.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Wienerschnitzel" used to be called "Der Wienerschnitzel" but they've dropped the "Der" which sounds like a punchline. It has always been a hot dog fast food chain. Their name makes no sense considering what they sell.

I was a kid listening in on the name branding arguments by the founders. They wanted to make a marketing impact. They took "der' off cuz gramatically incorrect in German after complaints. As a preggo I was addicted to their chicken sandwiches. I'd waddle over there. Perfectly fried breaded chicken with fresh lettuce/tomato/mayo. 

• Like 1

Jollibee is apparently a Filipino fast-food chain, with a few outlets in selected U.S. locations as well. They just got reviewed in the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/dining/jollibee-review.html

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I ate at a Jollibee in Cebu, Philippines a couple years ago. It's like a McDonald's and KFC rolled into one. Burgers are fine, fries are ok. Nothing worth going out of your way for. Very popular there. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

On 2/15/2019 at 3:05 PM, Chimayo Joe said:

I don't know why more places don't do crinkle cut fries. They can be very good.

You, sir, are correct. Del Taco's french fries are crinkle cut and, IMHO, are quite good.

On 2/15/2019 at 6:17 PM, heidih said:

I was a kid listening in on the name branding arguments by the founders. They wanted to make a marketing impact. They took "der' off cuz gramatically incorrect in German after complaints. As a preggo I was addicted to their chicken sandwiches. I'd waddle over there. Perfectly fried breaded chicken with fresh lettuce/tomato/mayo. 

I've never seen their chicken sandwich on a menu. Do they still make it? 

I still remember the jingle:

Der Wienerschnitzel, Wienerschnitzel

This must be the place.

Just drive right up and get a great big hot dog in your face. :laugh:

• Haha 2

Tim Oliver

On 2/15/2019 at 6:06 PM, Toliver said:

Yes, Arby still offers potato cakes/triangles. They sell them per piece and I think they're quite pricey. Ore-Ida used to sell potato cakes/triangles in grocery stores but not anymore. I keep trawling through non-California based grocery stores,  like Win Co, in hopes the brands they carry might still manufacture the triangles. But so far...no go. :(

You are correct, sir. I am a lifetime left coaster and have grown up with all of those restaurants (though Jollibees are relatively new to the state and are sparse at the moment). Del Taco used to be looked upon as a poor man's Taco Bell (which isn't saying much). Del Taco serves hamburgers, as well as Mexican-ish food. When you order a combo of their Mexican-ish food, you get fries in the combo so I think you get a little more value than at other restaurants. They have fish tacos now and yes, their french fries are quite good. Taco Bell is late to the game with their Nacho Fries (their seasoning makes them).

Ah, the "Greastyl!" I had a friend once who turned vegetarian on me. I used to assure her she could eat at Krystal because there was no meat anywhere near those burgers.

I will, however, testify to the curative powers of a sack of those little critters when one is in the throes of a really bad hangover. Or, for that matter, in the throes of the inebriation that leads to same. I had many a late-night/early-morning run through the Greastyl drive-through while in college .

I still get the urge for them every once in a while. Four Greastyls, a large fry, and a big Diet Coke. It'll cure what ails ya.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:06 PM, Toliver said:

... and my life must be lacking because I have never had a White Castle hamburger (no restaurants out this way).

not missing much unless you are having a GI series done then it is just the thing.

I used to like McDonald's fries but really like the taste of the SMALL Five Guys fries.  I still can't eat all of them but they hold up to future use.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

when McD's fat if fresh , and there is not a big rush so your fries are freshy made and piping hot

they are very good.   Julia Child said so herself.

5 Guys has the very best around here.  I have to ask them to go easy on the salt.

Ive tried fries at Shake Shack twice , and have been very disappointed.  flabby etc.

nice article and enjoyed the ' graph '

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Julia Child said so herself.

Indeed. But that was in the good old days when they were fried in beef fat. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Overall I agree with most of the list with only 2 major exception process. The fries from Chick-fil-A, since they are not really a French fry you can't really compare the texture. I really like them for what they are especially when you have them with a sandwich. Obvious I haven't had fries from all the places on the list but it's pretty well put together. Maybe it's just the stores in this area but at least the fries at Five Guys are greasy and quite disgusting.

Actually, here in Louisville I think the overall best fries are at a breakfast restaurant. It's called Wild Eggs and almost every they have is great. They make the best biscuits and gravy, 2 types of gravy, chorizo and bacon, I nearly get my order with half-and-half was a couple of fried eggs on top!

Edited by MSRadell (log)

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.