• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ultraprocessed Foods

Toliver

The latest "health" article making the rounds:

"Avoid these 'ultraprocessed' foods and you might live longer"

A study published Monday revealed an alarming statistic: Eating a lot of unhealthy, "ultraprocessed" foods may shorten your life. Specifically, researchers found that a 10% increase in the consumption of ultraprocessed foods was significantly associated with a 14% higher risk of death from all causes.

I think their list of "bad" foods is BS. Methinks someone tacked on some food items just to throw them under the proverbial bus, so to speak.

Sausages?

Burgers?

Hot Dogs?

Really? Those are "ultraprocessed" foods?

If I can make them at home from scratch, how are they "ultraprocessed"? I suppose I could add "Cookies, pastries and cakes" from the list, as well, if I make them at home from scratch. And many eG'ers make beautiful confections from scratch, as well. 

Articles like this irk the hell outta me. But I suppose the fact that people are talking about it is a good thing if you look at the Big Picture.

Still...>:( :laugh:

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

The latest "health" article making the rounds:

"Avoid these 'ultraprocessed' foods and you might live longer"

I think their list of "bad" foods is BS. Methinks someone tacked on some food items just to throw them under the proverbial bus, so to speak.

Sausages?

Burgers?

Hot Dogs?

Really? Those are "ultraprocessed" foods?

If I can make them at home from scratch, how are they "ultraprocessed"? I suppose I could add "Cookies, pastries and cakes" from the list, as well, if I make them at home from scratch. And many eG'ers make beautiful confections from scratch, as well. 

Articles like this irk the hell outta me. But I suppose the fact that people are talking about it is a good thing if you look at the Big Picture.

Still...>:( :laugh:

Modernist Cuisine does a lot of processed foods.

And I say so what? If I lose a year at the bad end of my life...so what?

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

But aren't these products over-processed if you buy them at a grocery store and thus deleterious to one's health?  What the article is missing to me is any mention of the fact that you can actually make all of these products at home from scratch...well, maybe not hot dogs...  And there's no 'instant' when you make them.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Haven't we beaten this subject to death? Check those lists of  processed bad-for-you foods. Are any of them actually unqualifiedly good for you? Most likely none of them. Does anyone believe that eating fast food morning noon and night is without consequences to our health or our environment?. How many times do we need to be reminded that cutting back on sugar and some fats and chemical additives is a reasonable goal?

To say those lists of unhealthy foods are bullshit is to disregard science and common sense. To never allow yourself to have ice cream or a truck stop burger or your favorite kind of potato chips is to punish yourself needlessly if you crave it once in a while,  but as your main source of calories and nutrition? It depends on how much you want to gamble. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it is all silly. You know what makes sense. Heck butter or other fats are now OK and eggs after years of drama?  You can follow trends but in the end a balanced diet coupled with joyful life rules ;) 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

overprocessed is an invented category. 

Processed just means manipulated. Maybe stuff is added maybe not. 

Bacon, sopressata, capicola, oatmeal, corn meal, Cheerios ...all processed

• Like 1