• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

The latest "health" article making the rounds:

"Avoid these 'ultraprocessed' foods and you might live longer"

I think their list of "bad" foods is BS. Methinks someone tacked on some food items just to throw them under the proverbial bus, so to speak.

Sausages?

Burgers?

Hot Dogs?

Really? Those are "ultraprocessed" foods?

If I can make them at home from scratch, how are they "ultraprocessed"? I suppose I could add "Cookies, pastries and cakes" from the list, as well, if I make them at home from scratch. And many eG'ers make beautiful confections from scratch, as well. 

Articles like this irk the hell outta me. But I suppose the fact that people are talking about it is a good thing if you look at the Big Picture.

Still...>:( :laugh:

Modernist Cuisine does a lot of processed foods.

And I say so what? If I lose a year at the bad end of my life...so what?

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

The latest "health" article making the rounds:

"Avoid these 'ultraprocessed' foods and you might live longer"

I think their list of "bad" foods is BS. Methinks someone tacked on some food items just to throw them under the proverbial bus, so to speak.

Sausages?

Burgers?

Hot Dogs?

Really? Those are "ultraprocessed" foods?

If I can make them at home from scratch, how are they "ultraprocessed"? I suppose I could add "Cookies, pastries and cakes" from the list, as well, if I make them at home from scratch. And many eG'ers make beautiful confections from scratch, as well. 

Articles like this irk the hell outta me. But I suppose the fact that people are talking about it is a good thing if you look at the Big Picture.

Still...>:( :laugh:

Modernist Cuisine does a lot of processed foods.

And I say so what? If I lose a year at the bad end of my life...so what?