• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer cocktail recipes: I'm serious

eugenep

yes. I'm currently drinking the beermosa - it's like mimosa but with beer instead of champagne. 

It sounds gross and I though it would make me barf but I googled it and it looks like a thing that's done. I tried it and it's pretty refreshing but more like a breakfast early drink and not a good night cap. 

and also ginger beer shandy: beer, ginger ale, lemon juice, sugar

only I just mix beer and ginger ale and leave out the rest

how about you guys? any good beer-mix suggestions? 

I don't do it primarily for taste but I would like to lower my alcohol consumption on the weeknights (easier to wake up early in the morning for work etc.) 

There's a whole lot of beers in the world... what do you stock?  Are you looking for things that make Bud Light more interesting?  Are you looking for porter milkshake recipes?  Are you looking for something that plays well with triple-dry-hopped lactose-dosed  ipa?  Something to do with a flemish red? What offsets the vinegar notes in Vichtenaar?  

The old classics like Michelada are good places to start... 

• Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

The Two Trick Pony is pretty tasty.. Plus that link is to Kindred Cocktails which means there will be a list of other cocktails that include beer at the bottom of the page... which will probably lead to even more. You're almost certain to find something there that sounds good to you. 

On 2/14/2019 at 7:31 PM, Beebs said:

Caesar (aka. the only Bloody Mary worth drinking)

We will never have to fight over who gets the last one of that drink. I'm in the complete opposite camp. I've always wondered who the person was that was looking at their nasty-arsed Bloody Mary one morning and thought  "You know what would make this better? Clam juice!". Bleh. :P :D

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

16 hours ago, cdh said:

There's a whole lot of beers in the world... what do you stock?  Are you looking for things that make Bud Light more interesting?  Are you looking for porter milkshake recipes?  Are you looking for something that plays well with triple-dry-hopped lactose-dosed  ipa?  Something to do with a flemish red? What offsets the vinegar notes in Vichtenaar?  

The old classics like Michelada are good places to start... 

I thought light beers are better for mixing - like lagers - but I have a bunch of ipa's in stock so I use that. I have stouts also but not using it for mixing currently. 

I checked out the above recipes but lots of tomato juice involved. 

you have any got-to-try suggestions? I think i'm going to google a porter milk shake - but any links or book titles? 

Wheat beers play very nicely with a glug of Campari... try it with hefes, goses, and berliners.

Some hoppy beers play nicely with grapefruit juice.

Porter milkshakes don't require a recipe... they're just chucking some ice cream into a blender and adding porter/stout until it reaches your preferred texture.

If you're feeling adventurous, you might try things like using woody sour beers in place of sparkling wine is drinks like a French 75 or a champagne cocktail...

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

3 hours ago, eugenep said:

I checked out the above recipes but lots of tomato juice involved.

Seriously, check out the Kindred Cocktails link. Even if you don't like the sound of the drink I linked to, it leads to a whole lot of other beer-inclusive cocktail recipes. You should be able to tell if a recipe sounds good to you even if it's not specifically recommended by anybody here. And you can be 100% confident that no cocktail I link you to will contain  tomato or clam juice... ever. :P

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Seriously, check out the Kindred Cocktails link. Even if you don't like the sound of the drink I linked to, it leads to a whole lot of other beer-inclusive cocktail recipes. You should be able to tell if a recipe sounds good to you even if it's not specifically recommended by anybody here. And you can be 100% confident that no cocktail I link you to will contain  tomato or clam juice... ever. :P

yeah the link is broken so far but pretty excited at using beer to make new cocktails 

so far my cocktails have been a spirit, sugar and then a sour or bitter (all cocktails) 

something new would be less boring for sure 

1 hour ago, eugenep said:

yeah the link is broken so far but pretty excited at using beer to make new cocktails 

so far my cocktails have been a spirit, sugar and then a sour or bitter (all cocktails) 

something new would be less boring for sure 

Must be doing some maintenance or something, nothing on the site seems to be working right now.