• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need recommendations for including raspberries in a cake

Matthew.Taylor

Ok, my parents 40th anniversary is a week from Saturday. They’ve requested A cake from me, they’re only requests was raspberries. Now i’m gonna be working on French pastry cream this weekend, and I was thinking of mixing a purée of raspberries in it to use as filling. How does this sound, and what would be good ratios?

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)

I'm no expert on French pastry cream, but if you're interested in adding powerful raspberry flavor minus the weight of a puree...raspberry powder made from freeze dried raspberries works wonders.  HTH.

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Mix a little of the raspberries with a little pastry cream to mage sure it doesn’t turn a weird color. Some berries plus egg yolks can turn an unappetizing purple-gray. Separate layers of jam and pastry cream might be prettier. 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 3

Use fresh raspberries instead of a puree; you can split them and put them cut side up then spread the pastry cream over them as a cake filling.  Use a dam of buttercream around the edge, then place the berries, then spread the cream over.  You might want to use a little bit of gelatin if your pastry cream is very loose so that when  you cut slices, the cream doesn't slide out all over. By contrast if your cream is very stiff you can add some softly whipped cream to it to lighten it up a little.

• Like 1

I like the idea of building a dam for them. Though I often wonder if I need to let the cake cool in the fridge afterwards, before fulling frosting it. Though since I am experimenting with the cream (with profiteroles) this weekend, I may try mixing a little puree in some of it, just to see how it goes. I also like the idea of freeze dried raspberries, but I'm not sure I have enough time to make those.

I do know a Trader Joe's up on Montgomery rd. and my mother showed interest today in a mixture of Raspberries and cream cheese frosting. So far building a buttercream dam, and filling it with cream and berries seems to be the right way to go. But I'm still considering things. Thanks really for all this advice.