• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dough for eclairs and dough for cookies

akonsu

Hello everyone, I am still learning, so maybe this is a simple question...

For eclairs we use pate a choux dough which we make by mixing flour with (almost) boiling water/butter mix. Some recipes for gingerbread cookies also use something similar: we heat honey and butter, and maybe water to almost boiling temperature and add half of the flour. Then once this dough cools down to room temperature we add the other half of the flour.

My question is: are these different variations of the same technique, or the fact that we heat just half of the flour in the second case makes them different in principle? If I heat all flour for my gingerbread cookies, will this not work? Why do we need to add more flour to cooked dough? I am just trying to understand the process...

thanks!

konstantin

• Like 1