• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

AlaMoi

AlaMoi

it does appear the board has a finish on it - I don't see any flaking around the worn&fuzzy areas - so probably a drying oil.  tung oil is one guess.

does not appear to have been stained - stains usually accumulate in places like the corners of the edge rabbiting (making a darker corner)

where (geographically / continent wise) did the board come from originally?  Europe/North America have different species . . .  Spekva is Danish(?) so I'm suspecting a European species.

does it feel "light" for it's size - 'normal' or 'heavy'?

no obvious joints - given the clear width and ultra-straight grain its likely "old growth" i.e. from a bigbig tree

generically it's a "face grain" construction - but well seasoned and selected, because that width and thickness is prone to warping / cupping.

it is essential / critical to use/store/keep the board where both sides dry evenly.  for everyday use feet on the underside to keep the bottom from getting soaking wet dry would be a reasonable thing.

on-going - a light sanding with 200-300 grit sandpaper will even out the appearance - it's darkened with age (patina) so sanding will make the top surface lighter - which you may or may not want.  I'm fond of mineral oil for a water resistant finish - easy to do / re-do / maintain.  but do note, 'refinishing' the top will produce a lighter color - if you're fond of the 'old shopworn look' - a buffing with a plastic scrubbie type pad (3M makes a wood finish purpose style) would have minimal impact.  re-creating a color match to an aged patina in a food safe finish will require some skills - probably best done by a professional....

AlaMoi

AlaMoi

it does appear the board has a finish on it - I don't see any flaking around the worn&fuzzy areas - so probably a drying oil.  tung oil is one guess.

does not appear to have been stained - stains usually accumulate in places like the corners of the edge rabbiting (making a darker corner)

where (geographically / continent wise) did the board come from originally?  Europe/North America have different species . . .  Spekva is Danish(?) so I'm suspecting a European species.

does it feel "light" for it's size - 'normal' or 'heavy'?

no obvious joints - given the clear width and ultra-straight grain its likely "old growth" i.e. from a bigbig tree

generically it's a "face grain" construction - but well seasoned and selected, because that width and thickness is prone to warping / cupping.

it is essentially / critically to use/store/keep the board where both sides dry evenly.  for everyday use feet on the underside to keep the bottom from getting soaking wet dry would be a reasonable thing.

on-going - a light sanding with 200-300 grit sandpaper will even out the appearance - it's darkened with age (patina) so sanding will make the top surface lighter - which you may or may not want.  I'm fond of mineral oil for a water resistant finish - easy to do / re-do / maintain.  but do note, 'refinishing' the top will produce a lighter color - if you're fond of the 'old shopworn look' - a buffing with a plastic scrubbie type pad (3M makes a wood finish purpose style) would have minimal impact.  re-creating a color match to an aged patina in a food safe finish will require some skills - probably best done by a professional....