• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

3 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Thanks @boilsover

Think I will work with hand papers..  I started with 200 grit.  Would u suggest coarser to start.  Is very laborious with the 200?

Cheers

Hmmm, before I posted the photo, I tried posting a few tips from my tablet, and they're not showing up here.  So here're shorter versions:

1.  Spend extra time at 180 or 200 to get all the pits out.  When you go to the next grit and turn 90 degrees, you will immediately see if you didn't get them all.  In which case drop back to 180 or 200 at the original direction.  Same story as you progress finer--if the current grit/direction isn't removing all the marks from the previous, you must go back.

2.  If you use a block or wrap the paper on a file, you're going to be buying a lot of sandpaper.  Doing it this way quickly clogs the grit before it can do much work.  That's what the stick is for--you keep putting fresh abrasive in between the corner edge of the stick and the steel, and work only a few strokes, then shift the paper to a fresh area.  I've found that 1"-wide "shop rolls" of emery cloth work really well, too.

3.  The stick is about 1/4" thick.  You want to use that short edge as your bearing surface.  Such a tiny area under hand pressure and fresh grit is what does the work.

boilsover

boilsover

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Thanks @boilsover

Think I will work with hand papers..  I started with 200 grit.  Would u suggest coarser to start.  Is very laborious with the 200?

Cheers

Hmmm, before I posted the photo, I tried posting a few tips from my tablet, and they're not showing up here.  So here're shorter versions:

1.  Spend extra time at 180 or 200 to get all the pits out.  When you go to the next grit and turn 90 degrees, you will immediately see if you didn't get them all.  In which case drop back to 180 or 200.

2.  If you use a block or wrap the paper on a file, you're going to be buying a lot of sandpaper.  Doing it this way quickly clogs the grit before it can do much work.  That's what the stick is for--you keep putting fresh abrasive in between the corner edge of the stick and the steel, and work only a few strokes, then shift the paper to a fresh area.  I've found that 1"-wide "shop rolls" of emery cloth work really well, too.

3.  The stick is about 1/4" thick.  You want to use that short edge as your bearing surface.  Such a tiny area under hand pressure and fresh grit is what does the work.