• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FeChef

Need advice on opening a small bakery

We live on a main street, lots of traffic. Bus stop and right next to a gas station. Our home (we own) is zoned both commercial and residential. The town is actually activly trying to bring more businesses. We are just wanting to cross our T's and dot our I's before we go to the township for approval. (we dont want to look like idiots) My wife has 16 years of bakery experience. She was at one point a Bakery mananger for a retail chain grocery. But we are newbie's when it comes to running our own bakery. Any advice on steps to take before going to the township would be greatly helpful.

You have commercial zoning but do you have a commercial kitchen?  3 compartment sink, grease trap, possibly a hood depending on your oven power and if you're cooking with gas. 

The bus stop sounds promising, lots of people would grab a coffee or a bite while waiting.  Is there parking and easy access to/from the main street?

16 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

You have commercial zoning but do you have a commercial kitchen?  3 compartment sink, grease trap, possibly a hood depending on your oven power and if you're cooking with gas. 

The bus stop sounds promising, lots of people would grab a coffee or a bite while waiting.  Is there parking and easy access to/from the main street?

We have not installed any commercial equipment yet. Figured its best to get the "go ahead" before investing in renovation/equipment. And yes the house is setup for gas. There is a huge public parking lot behind the house, and we live right aside a gas station which also has a parking lot (but no parking only signs) which will probably change when we are open for business.

Edited by FeChef (log)

Then are you building a separate kitchen or hoping to use your existing?  I’ve had gas stoves in apartments with a tiny home exhaust fan but when you get into commercial ranges you need a commercial hood. Type 1 with fire suppression if you’re doing any deep frying but type 2 should be ok for light duty. (Type 1 is heavy duty to withstand a grease fire). Here, electric ovens 6kw or lower don’t need to be under a hood, but a gas oven might need one or at least a dedicated vent to outside . Check with your health department (to see what is required) and your homeowners insurance (to see what they’ll allow).  And your fire dept & building codes while you’re at it.  And you might need to upgrade gas lines & connections for higher volume. 

• Like 1

Building a commercial kitchen separate from the rest of the house. I am hoping this won't require a separate gas meter/lines. 

• Like 1

I would assume it would. Plus, commercial rates differ from residential.

• Like 1

A lot of commercial appliances come with a 3/4" gas connection, though you may be able to find 1/2". 

Might be a good idea to keep utilities separate for business purposes

• Like 2