• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Pie Hole

pjm333

The Pie Hole Business is out in California with multiple locations, a friend had the Mac n Cheese Pot pie and enjoyed it. I know its a savory item but my question is in the baking, from the pictures I saw online the pot pie looks enclosed with no top crust. If I had to guess they make it upside down seal it and flip it over and bake it ? Anyone ever have this before, is it a tart dough, pizza dough ?  Thanks 1651179548_piehole3.jpg.3542462d7a0d723ee1f5482a23f12608.jpg 

mac+'n+cheese+pie.jpg

pie hole2.jpg

• Like 1

Their website shows the mac and cheese as a proper pie looking like regular pie crust (but in the pics it also shows one that looks like the one in your pictures). To me this looks like a 'hand pie'. Hard to tell if it's flaky pastry or bread dough - but I'm leaning towards pastry from their other products.

From their website "We bake Aussie inspired individual sized savory pies in our signature butter crust."

Can't quite decide how they have shaped it though.

@pjm333, there's a demo of the mac & cheese pot pie starting at the 50 sec mark of this video.  They do trim off the extra crust after sealing so depending on how much the top crust puffs up in the oven, I can see your first and third photos being made this way.  Your middle photo looks different.

But this one on their Instagram looks quite flat:

1 hour ago, pjm333 said:

Kerry Beal & Blue Dolphin,

Thanks so much for your help. I was trying to figure out the middle picture, how they got that shape. Thanks again !

Now I'm curious how they make their little pie holes.  Sounds like they are just about 2 bites.