• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oat Milk

Chris Hennes

My local coffee shop added oat milk to their menu a couple of months ago, which is the first I'd heard of it: clearly, I am behind on my food trend awareness. This morning's Washington Post has an article about making your own but obviously I'm going to trust advice from eG more than the Post (sorry, Post!). Does anyone make their own at home? Tips/tricks I should know about before trying it?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I have been raving about it. Normally substitutions are poor (ie almond milk, cashew milk, etc), but I think oat milk not only is a good substitution, its an improvement on foamed milk coffee drinks. The coffee shop versions have hydrocolloids, but the basic one is just water, oats and salt. I noticed yesterday that my local store now carries a Quaker brand version which I haven't read the label yet. The original is great for sure.

At home I do 1 C organic oats, 2 qt filtered water, pinch of salt, pinch of sugar.

Toast oats.

Flush oats with water and drain (gets rid of the dustiness that normally is in oat milk)

Then the oats, filtered water, salt and sugar in blender. Blitz. Rest 10 min. Blitz again.

Strain through nut milk bag or multiple layers of cheesecloth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

How long do you blitz (or to what texture)? Are you looking for something smooth, or still sort of grainy?

I put mine in the blender, blend for a second, stop, another second, stop, and a third second, stop. I want texture so it strains out. If you emulsify then you have shmoosh which doesn't strain so well.

Very odd. So this morning I needed to make a fresh batch and I was out of my local oats. I used Quaker Old Fashioned and followed the same steps I outlined above. Everything looked normal, but I let my coffee sit longer than normal and the coffee and oat milk separated. A quick stir and they were back together again but I had never had that happen with my local oats. I don't get that at all.

52 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Very odd. So this morning I needed to make a fresh batch and I was out of my local oats. I used Quaker Old Fashioned and followed the same steps I outlined above. Everything looked normal, but I let my coffee sit longer than normal and the coffee and oat milk separated. A quick stir and they were back together again but I had never had that happen with my local oats. I don't get that at all.

The Quaker oats were from somewhere else... they were trying to get back home. :P

I honestly have no idea what would cause that so I went with the easy facetious response. :D

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.