• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HELP! my stove broke. Can you recommend a quick substitute - such as Control Freak?

eugenep

Just now, boilsover said:

Sorry, but buying, storing, retrieving and cleaning another unitasker, only to have to put it down and pick up the side towels or 'holders doesn't exactly fit my definition of 'convenient'.

To each his own.

Mine doesn't get dirty.

It's stored in the most convenient place, it rests mostly under the oven and the silicone clamshell holders sit right beside it—and I'm able to use BOTH hands! :D

It's a great convenience for less than $6.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, boilsover said:

I have been mulling a product idea for some time.  What would be the interest of members here in owning a BSO-type counterrtop small oven combined with a very precise and even small cooktop built into the top housing surface?  Worth having?

I have the CSO instead of the BSO, but I use the top of the oven for warming serving dishes while in use, so that surface is not wasted to me.

My biggest concern with the arrangement you suggest, though is that all the stove tops I have used come with backsplashes and exhaust fans for serious cooking. Cooking meats in an open pan creates a hellacious mess that I would not want to do against the sheetrock wall where my CSO is currently placed. I think you need easy to clean areas around a stove top and a means of exhausting grease or smoke for any serious meat cooking.

But yeah, might work in a pinch for a dorm or something where you were only boiling stuff. Even then, I wonder whether the electronics of the oven would survive the first stove top  boil over. I despise a boil over even on a stove that is engineered to handle it. There's a raised lip all the way around my ancient GE stove top, but the runoff goes underneath the electric elements and heat shields. Another hellacious cleanup. 

I would not buy it. Just sayin'.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, boilsover said:

Well, assuming the unit is mounted low enough that the surface is at counter height,  would you ind that a useful feature?  I'm thinking, if people like using the BSO rather than firing their "real" oven, why not do the same with the hob?

A BSO and CSO are countertop appliances hence my thought that the hot plate would be high.  I would rather just use my gas burner and not dirty up the outside of the countertop oven with the splatter from a top element.

And that is all I have to add to this idea.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, boilsover said:

I have been mulling a product idea for some time.  What would be the interest of members here in owning a BSO-type counterrtop small oven combined with a very precise and even small cooktop built into the top housing surface? 

Several similar designs already exist. I wouldn't want one. I like the portability of the hotplate(s).

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

9 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Got links?  Thanks.

Let me Google that for you.

Used to be more common than now.

Designed for hunting/vacation camps and the like.

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Used to be more common than now.

Designed for hunting/vacation camps and the like.

You are remembering small electric box ovens with cooking hobs on top?

I have one of the 1920s box ovens that sat atop a woodstove--the original smart oven.

14 minutes ago, boilsover said:

You are remembering small electric box ovens with cooking hobs on top?

I have one of the 1920s box ovens that sat atop a woodstove--the original smart oven.

Some were gas, some were electric.

tiny-house-appliances-range-ovens-camp-c

Source: https://tinyhousebuild.com/tiny-house-appliances-ranges-ovens/

41iUTzH26GL.jpg

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Avanti-MKB42B-Temperature-Multi-Function-Convection/dp/B007DS10I8

I'm also well aware of the ovens that go on wood stoves—they're still made by the Amish.

I lived off-grid for years.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

What's really needed is an affordable combi-oven that'll accommodate at least a 1/4 size sheet pan—1/2 size would be even better.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, eugenep said:

mucho appreciate it. I'm trying to purchase and avoid the $120 state tax by purchasing from JB Prince. I guess we'll see. The strength of your recommendation convinced me that it's a good buy that I won't regret after purchase and using it. I just hope it'll last at least 5 years before it goes kaput. 

One thing I forgot to mention. 

I have a full sized induction range. Since getting the Control Freaks, I never use the full sized except for one application: boiling large amounts of water (e.g. 4 quarts in an 8 quart pot for spaghetti). The CF definately takes longer, and it doesn’t get to a full rolling boil like it does on the range. Smaller quantities in my 4 quart and 2 quart pots can get to a full rolling boil on the CF. 

Deep frying is fine too. I’m sure I could get to my target temperature on my range faster, but that would involve using external thermometers and manually controlling things. I never really deep fried prior to the Control Freak because of this. 

Pressure cookers work  like a dream. I can get to full pressure quicker on the range but then I have to manually regulate.  It’s all auto on the CF. 

So yeah. Boiling large amounts of water is the only downside I’ve seen from it only being 1800 watts. Everything else works much better. 

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)
  • Like 2

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Some were gas, some were electric.

tiny-house-appliances-range-ovens-camp-c

Source: https://tinyhousebuild.com/tiny-house-appliances-ranges-ovens/

41iUTzH26GL.jpg

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Avanti-MKB42B-Temperature-Multi-Function-Convection/dp/B007DS10I8

I'm also well aware of the ovens that go on wood stoves—they're still made by the Amish.

I lived off-grid for years.

Thanks, that's useful.

On 2/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

What's really needed is an affordable combi-oven that'll accommodate at least a 1/4 size sheet pan—1/2 size would be even better.

Yeah, that. A combi version of Oster's french-door model would be just fine for me.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 2/1/2019 at 12:35 PM, DiggingDogFarm said:

A quote from the Webrestaurantstore.com link... Combi ovens are perfect for cooking meats since the dry heat introduced into the chamber will do most of the cooking, while the moisture from available steam helps to prevent meats from drying out and shrinking. Combi cooking can, therefore, result in higher-quality meat dishes that offer more servings than those cooked with only dry heat.

I'd say that they don't quite understand how it works. The dry heat cooks and the steam moistens???

27 minutes ago, gfweb said:

A quote from the Webrestaurantstore.com link... Combi ovens are perfect for cooking meats since the dry heat introduced into the chamber will do most of the cooking, while the moisture from available steam helps to prevent meats from drying out and shrinking. Combi cooking can, therefore, result in higher-quality meat dishes that offer more servings than those cooked with only dry heat.

I'd say that they don't quite understand how it works. The dry heat cooks and the steam moistens???

Is it an incorrect definition?

It's called a combi for a reason.

"Dry" heat and steam.
I don't see where it reads that steam moistens.

It does read "moisture from available steam helps to prevent meats from drying out and shrinking."

I'd say that's maintaining moisture.

But, hey, I'm not an expert on anything—other than eating! xD

2 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Is it an incorrect definition?

It's called a combi for a reason.

"Dry" heat and steam.
I don't see where it reads that steam moistens.

It does read "moisture from available steam helps to prevent meats from drying out and shrinking."

I'd say that's maintaining moisture.

But, hey, I'm not an expert on anything—other than eating! xD

They are saying that the heat is both dry and wet. Can’t be both. I believe the combi refers to the ability to pick which type of heat you want. 

Yes maintaining moisture was their point. 

13 minutes ago, gfweb said:

They are saying that the heat is both dry and wet. Can’t be both. I believe the combi refers to the ability to pick which type of heat you want. 

Yes maintaining moisture was their point. 

I'm not up for arguing, but "from available steam" implies that it's not always available or used.

Would someone PLEASE just create an affordable combi-oven of decent size!!!!!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

I even asked Chris Young about the possibility of creating my own.

I have some ideas!!!

He did say that it's, at least, theoretically possible.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:16 PM, boilsover said:

Hmmm, I just timed my 800XL Pro's (my third one, BTW) preheat time from room temp to 400F.  It's almost exactly 5 minutes.  I'll have to time my fullsize oven when I get back from the cabin,, but I don't think it takes a lot longer than that.

I also find adjusting and withdrawing the racks (other than the middle one fitted with the magnet) to be a semi-hazardous PITA.  And don't get me started about that funky thumbwheel mode knob or the long toast times.

I’m sorry, I’m probably reading this wrong. But are you saying you have a full sized oven that reaches 400 degrees F in five minutes? 

12 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I’m sorry, I’m probably reading this wrong. But are you saying you have a full sized oven that reaches 400 degrees F in five minutes? 

No, it was the BSO.  But thanks for the reminder to time my fullsize.

[Edit #1]  The fullsize electric oven took 7:35, but it probably would've been a bit shorter because: (a) that oven is in an unheated basement; and (b) the oven had a couple sheet pans stored in there.  I'll run it again, but I'm guessing it would be more like 7:00 all things being equal.   So, 5:00 for the BSO (Oh, and that probably was with the fan on) and 7:00 for the fullsize?  The way I cook, apprx. 2 minutes' time savings  isn't a powerful argument.  Distance from the elements/positioning flexibility is more important to me.  But I bought the BSO to serve as my only oven at the cabin, and it plays that role well. 

[Edit #2]  OK, so starting from room temp and empty, my cheapo builder's grade coil range's oven preheats to 400F in 5:48.  So I would save <1 minute in preheat time by choosing the BSO.

Edited by boilsover (log)