• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

akonsu

I get fat bloom on chocolate

I use inexpensive semi-sweet Ghirardelli baking chocolate from Walmart to cover my pastry concoctions. I temper it by just heating it in a bowl in a microwave or over a water bath, then I take 2/3 of it and stir for about 15 minutes until it cools, then I pour it into the remaining 1/3, that heats it up to the working temperature. The surface quality, after it sets, looks ok to me. I can touch it, it does not melt when touched, it breaks with some snap, tempering is not as good as that from a factory but it looks acceptable to me at this point (I am still learning). The only problem is that after a few hours it gets streaks of fat in it, a cocoa butter bloom, it looks like. And I do not know why this is happening and how to prevent it. Please help. Thanks!

I think your temper is off. Merely cooling and stirring in a bowl over 15 min might not be enough to create the stable cocoa butter crystals. My understanding is that tabling on marble cools it so rapidly that it creates crystals, a bowl isn’t going to be that fast. 

Sounds like you’re dipping centers. How long do they take to set? How warm is your room?  It might help to refrigerate the pieces for 5-10 min to help them solidify and cool quickly. Or lower your chocolate working temp by a degree or two, streaky pieces can mean the chocolate was too warm. 

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

As @pastrygirl says - sounds like your temper is a bit off. 

It's usually form 4 crystals that gives you the late streaks like that. They also break with some snap and appear acceptable, firm up in a reasonable period of time - but as form 5 crystals form during the cooling process they come out on the surface giving you the bloom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

My understanding is that tabling on marble cools it so rapidly that it creates crystals, a bowl isn’t going to be that fast. 

I tried doing this on a granite floor tile (a 18x18 inches square, about 5mm thick, you know, the standard tile from Home Depot) with the same problem. I suppose that such a small tile is not sufficient... But I get the idea, thanks.

Sounds like you’re dipping centers.

I did not get this...

How warm is your room?

It is about 22-23 C (about 73 F). Is this too warm?

@Kerry Beal, @pastrygirl, thanks for your responses!

@akonsu I meant are you dipping individual pieces into the chocolate or are you using molds?    Molds get tricky, if the temper is not close to perfect the chocolate will stick in the molds. 

Yes, 73f is warm for chocolate work. Especially if humidity is high, that makes it even worse. Most of us prefer mid 60’s with humidity below 50%. 

• Like 1