• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Defining Gastronomy

Gastronomy is something like the distilled delineation of all elements that provide the highest standard of nourishment.   I'd propose "satisfaction" as it pertains to the ritual of eating.  19th Century gastronome  Grimod de la Reynière documents the choicest ingredients by season and location in his expansive and infinitely charming "Almanach des Gourmands", followed by Brillat-Savarin's epicurean treatise on gustatory aphorisms.  Both are founding experts in the matter.

Edited by Baron d'Apcher (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are various dictionary definition of the word, all centering around the preparation, study and enjoyment of food. The definitions vary a lot, suggesting that gastronomy is an imprecise term that in one way or another is food-related. 

Gastronomy is, after all, astronomy with a G. Astronomy derives ultimately from Greek and means “star law” , so I guess at least in its derivation, gastronomy involves the rules and principles of cooking. 

Maybe not. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

There are various dictionary definition of the word, all centering around the preparation, study and enjoyment of food. The definitions vary a lot, suggesting that gastronomy is an imprecise term that in one way or another is food-related. 

Gastronomy is, after all, astronomy with a G. Astronomy derives ultimately from Greek and means “star law” , so I guess at least in its derivation, gastronomy involves the rules and principles of cooking. 

Maybe not. 

And here I thought if referred to enjoyment of foods that were carminative.  Or as Nigel Slater says, for the not easily embarrassed.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Maybe not. 

Maybe not indeed. Gastronomy is derived from the  Greek γαστρ(ο)-, γαστήρ meaning "stomach', so it is 'stomach law'.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Maybe not indeed. Gastronomy is derived from the  Greek γαστρ(ο)-, γαστήρ meaning "stomach', so it is 'stomach law'.

pretty much what I said, no?