• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The BBC, on American Love for the Great British Bake Off

chromedome

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My question is do the contestants consult recipes? Or are they supposed to know how to whip up a sponge cake from memory?

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

30 minutes ago, Toliver said:

My question is do the contestants consult recipes? Or are they supposed to know how to whip up a sponge cake from memory?

I get the impression that, except for the one that Paul or Mary give them (with very abbreviated instructions), they know ahead of time what they are going to make and can practice at home.  Can someone correct or confirm?  Maybe just basic parameters?  Like what the Iron Chef contestants get, except we aren't supposed to suspect? 😁

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 1

Yes, the Signature Bake and the Showstopper are known in advance and the bakers bring their recipes with them.

My DW and I enjoy the fact that it isn't a cutthroat competition, but one where bakers show mutual support. I gave up on Food TV mostly because I couldn't stand the plethora of irritating competition shows and the dearth of actual cooking shows.

ETA: We don't care much for Mel and dislike Sue, who's presenting style seem loud and forced.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

The show moved to Channel 4 from BBC a couple of years ago. Paul Hollywood is still there, but the second judge is now Prue Leith and the new hosts are Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig. I've watched the new seasons and the format is pretty much exactly the same. Sandi and Noel are OK, I don't mind them. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The only person I really disliked was Ruby from season 2 (I think it was 2, I watch on Netflix and it calls it season 2, but I heard it was actually like 5 or something). She was just so whiny! Every time she was on it was always the same: “oh it’s just so terrible, it looks awful!” “It’s wonderful Ruby.” NEXT WEEK: “oh it’s just so awful!”

I started to hope she’d get eliminated just so she’d stop whining.

• Like 1

Terry from what Netflix calls season 6 just seemed out of his league from the start. I also prefer the Sandi and Noelle over Sue and Mel. I think Prue has better chemistry than Mary did.

My DW and I are on our second watching. It makes for light, entertaining watching. For reasons that aren't important we're watching them in the order of 5, ,6, 1, 2 ,3, and 4.

I'm also on my second watching of Lords and Ladles for the same reason.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

17 hours ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

The only person I really disliked was Ruby from season 2 (I think it was 2, I watch on Netflix and it calls it season 2, but I heard it was actually like 5 or something). She was just so whiny! Every time she was on it was always the same: “oh it’s just so terrible, it looks awful!” “It’s wonderful Ruby.” NEXT WEEK: “oh it’s just so awful!”

I started to hope she’d get eliminated just so she’d stop whining.

I haven't seen that season, so I don't know her at all.  But I have to confess a sneaking love of her reading her Tweets about Paul ("The Tool") Hollywood.  😂😂😂