• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

30 minutes ago, Toliver said:

My question is do the contestants consult recipes? Or are they supposed to know how to whip up a sponge cake from memory?

I get the impression that, except for the one that Paul or Mary give them (with very abbreviated instructions), they know ahead of time what they are going to make and can practice at home.  Can someone correct or confirm?  Maybe just basic parameters?  Like what the Iron Chef contestants get, except we aren't supposed to suspect? 😁

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

29 minutes ago, Toliver said:

My question is do the contestants consult recipes? Or are they supposed to know how to whip up a sponge cake from memory?

I get the impression that, except for the one that Paul or Mary give them (with very abbreviated instructions), they know ahead of time what they are going to make and can practice at home.  Can someone correct or confirm?