• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Herbal "tea" that tastes similar to real "black" tea—camellia sinensis.

Martin Fisher

Some folks are of the opinion that red raspberry leaf "tea" is the herbal tea that comes closest to tasting like real "black" tea—camellia sinensis.

Red raspberry leaf "tea" isn't processed—other than drying.

So, I got the crazy idea of attempting to process red raspberry leaves in the method of "black" tea. nasty.gif

A simplified, hand-processed, Japan-style black tea. This is a PDF file!

What are your thoughts? :blush:

• Thanks 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

There's only one way to find out! Looking forward to your results.

Personally, I don't think raspberry leaf tastes anything like black tea. But I've always found rooibos tastes a lot like Ceylon orange pekoe with a bit of honey, and it's easy to come by.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am eagerly awaiting your results on this.  A while ago, I concluded that what I found missing in most herbal teas was the complexity and depth of flavor that fermentation provides.  Rooibos starts to get there, but I have yet to find a quality that truly satisfies what I am looking for.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...