• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Super Bowl 2019 what's on your menu?

JeanneCake

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I won't be doing much quantity or variety in that department, one or two is generally my limit regardless of whether it's beer, wine or cocktails.

Pretty much the same for me, though I'm not a cocktail drinker so substitute a decent whiskey or rum with a splash of water in that slot.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Well every grocery store around here has huge walls of booze and softdrinks aligned in the teams patterns as you walk in. The drink reps try to outdo themselves yearly. 

I was just looking back at our eG Cook-Off Bee#69: Cooking with Beer to look over my recipe of batter-fried onion rings, (which I plan to make for the Superbowl).  We've got a lot of interesting dishes over there to https://forums.egullet.org/topic/151237-eg-cook-off-69-cooking-with-beer/

• Like 4

I made this the other night (when we did appetizers for dinner): 

https://www.howsweeteats.com/2015/12/super-easy-pepperoni-pizza-puff-pastry/

it was a bit decadent with the puff pastry and I used shredded mozzarella. Tasty though. 

My best friend always hosts and I always bring sushi (that I don’t make). So I feel like if I do anything else, it would be a let down. I have a few ideas so sushi is still up in the air (but the easiest especially since I can have it delivered to her home). 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I have a few ideas so sushi is still up in the air (but the easiest especially since I can have it delivered to her home).

If I could get good, or even good enough, sushi where I live without having to make it myself, I would have no need to think about or plan a Super Bowl menu. :D

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@MetsFan5  Thanks for the idea of the puff pastry appetizer.  I have a sheet of puff pastry in the freezer so I think I'll try this.  Can't see trying to sprinkle the garlic and herbs over it though, probably easier to just mix it with the tomato sauce.  I too would prefer mozzarella.

Edited to add: I bet puff pastry topped with muffaletta mix wouldn't go amiss either.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 4

Getting into crunch time and still no idea what I'm doing. The bad part is, the problem isn't narrowing down too many choices... the problem is nothing is sounding particularly appealing. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

16 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@MetsFan5  Thanks for the idea of the puff pastry appetizer.  I have a sheet of puff pastry in the freezer so I think I'll try this.  Can't see trying to sprinkle the garlic and herbs over it though, probably easier to just mix it with the tomato sauce.  I too would prefer mozzarella.

Edited to add: I bet puff pastry topped with muffaletta mix wouldn't go amiss either.

I think it’s really versatile. I’m considering  baking the puff pastry (I use Pepperidge Farms) then topping it with scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, cheese and a drizzle (or spoon fulls) of hollandaise. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

I think we’ll go easy on the snack foods to save our appetites for the meal after the game.  Meal is going to be homemade bratwurst and onions braised in beer, spatzle, braised red cabbage and lentils finished with walnuts and walnut oil.  It is going to be cold and snowy so the meal will fit in.  During the game I think we will have a sheet of home made nacho chips topped with pork carnitas and cheese at half time and some veggies and dip.  There will be just three of us.  Oh, and some wine.

Go Rams.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I think we’ll go easy on the snack foods to save our appetites for the meal after the game.

Took me a minute to remember you're in a different time zone than I am... I was thinking that was going to be a pretty late meal. :D 

although Im passing this  year

I found this interesting;

https://www.si.com/eats/best-super-bowl-party-foods-snacks-appetizers-ranking-most-popular

an agree with it mostly .  not so much for the veggie dip.

I used to make a crab dip w 

https://www.stouffers.com/en/our-dishes/classics/for-one/welsh-rarebit

and fake-crab.   just thaw the crab slowly , squeeze out extra water

add in lump form to Stoufers , warmed up.

disappears almost instantly.   I use  thick corn chips , AKA  fritos or Tj's scoops.

Unless it changes again, which could very well happen if the past week of Super Bowl menu planning is any indicator, I've settled into chile verde. Most likely for tacos although I've considered the possibility of masa dumplings. Leaning towards the not-particularly-traditional (as far as I know, I'm not an expert on the subject) beef instead of pork if I do tacos. If I go with the dumplings, I'll probably do pork or maybe even chicken. With a little luck, this plan will stick...

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 6:40 AM, Tri2Cook said:

If I could get good, or even good enough, sushi where I live without having to make it myself, I would have no need to think about or plan a Super Bowl menu. :D

We get pretty good sushi here. I usually order it from here:

https://www.sushiloungenj.com/

and I usually order the optimistic roll, the fantasy roll  and the whatever appeals to me. 

But my friend is doing a taco bar so... I’m unsure about the combo. I’ll check in with her tomorrow. I could always do a bunch of charcuterie instead. 

• Like 1

Hubs asked for nachos and guac, it is just the 2 of us. I will put some shredded cooked chicken on top of them, because...dinner. Bought a pint of caramel cone Haagen Das for dessert.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Made my Chipotle-Pepita Salsa that I've been making for years.  It's somewhere here in the many pages of eGullet, but here is the recipe.  Sometimes I chop the ingredients by hand, including seeding the tomatones.  More and more though I'm pulsing it in the food processor so it's chunky, which of course is much easier and quick than my hand method.

Chipotle-Pepita Salsa.JPG

Chipotle-Pepita Salsa-makes about 3 cups

8-10 large Roma tomatoes

1/2 yellow onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup cilantro leaves, minced

2 tsp. ground cumin

1 tsp. ground coriander

2 tsp. chili powder

1 canned chipotle with 1 tbsp. of the adobo sauce

2 tbsp. fresh lime juice

2 tsp. sugar

2 tbsp. olive oil

1 cup toasted pepitas

Heat the oven to 400.  Spread the pepitas-green pumpkin seeds, in a single layer on a cookie sheet.  Toast until the pepitas start to brown, about 5 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let cool.  

In a food processor, add the tomatoes, onions and garlic and pulse to coarsely chop.  Put the tomato mixture in a large bowl, then add the minced cilantro, cumin, coriander, chili powder, chipotle, lime juice, sugar, and olive oil.  Stir to combine.  Roughly chop the toasted pepitas and stir into the salsa.  

Serve with fresh lime wedges.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

7 minutes ago, David Ross said:

More and more though I'm pulsing it in the food processor

My processors, especially the mini one, see as much action as my knives do at home these days. It's still knife work on the job and sometimes when cooking for others but at home for myself, I pop it in the processor, give it a few pulses and call it done. I have one day a week off, I don't want to spend half of it prepping in the kitchen.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

My processors, especially the mini one, see as much action as my knives do at home these days. It's still knife work on the job and sometimes when cooking for others but at home for myself, I pop it in the processor, give it a few pulses and call it done. I have one day a week off, I don't want to spend half of it prepping in the kitchen.

me too!

Probably not doing anything special at all, though I do plan to watch at least part of the game. It's not a *really* major event, you understand, like the Grey Cup or the Labor Day grudge matches between Edmonton/Calgary and Hamilton/Toronto. (ducks and runs) :P

Truthfully I was more invested in Arsenal vs. Man City earlier today, though I'm intrigued by a) the classic youth vs. experience narrative; and b) the symmetry of Brady coming up against the Rams again in the late days of his career.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It isn't pretty but it sure is tasty. I seasoned the beef, sealed it with the onions in a baking pan with a little water and let it go all night in the oven at 225 F. This morning I pulled the beef apart and tossed it in the slow cooker with the onions, the pan liquid and all of the usual chile verde ingredients and let it go all day on low. All of the accompaniments are prepped and ready to go... so Super Bowl tacos it shall be.

verde123.jpg

• Like 2

Well, the food was certainly better than the game......but it's Super Bowl, so I guess it was good in its own way.  I didn't even enjoy the halftime show.  Am I becoming an old fuddy duddy?  A few of the commercials made me laugh, but not like in years past.  Oh well, next year will surely be better.  Is this 6 super bowl wins for Brady?  He's fast running out of fingers for the rings.

Anyway, on to the food.  Ronnie wanted pheasant and goose tenders and I wanted pizza so I did both because....Super Bowl.

Pre-game 

Knorr veggie dip

IMG_5871.jpg.b43f9289903664be2150781ed0912ed9.jpg

Pickled Shrimp

IMG_5872.jpg.f0eb6f408dc0ccc8d2fd98bb696439b1.jpg

Chris' mushrooms

IMG_5873.jpg.83587417adb5f4d8aca7e6453b52593d.jpg

Then

Pheasant tenders on the left, goose tenders on the right with gravy

IMG_5874.jpg.4123396bd31455891694b82d2052a493.jpg

And venison cheeseburger pizza

IMG_5876.jpg.69e52e14be0e7fc782780425f3b6b899.jpg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Well, the food was certainly better than the game......but it's Super Bowl, so I guess it was good in its own way.  I didn't even enjoy the halftime show.  Am I becoming an old fuddy duddy?

It was a bit boring for a Super Bowl, kinda difficult to get too excited over a game where the punter has a legitimate shot at MVP. It could be argued that it was ok for a fan of defensive football, which I am, but even the defensive play wasn't that spectacular for the most part. It was just better than most of the offensive play. But it was clear and easy to see when Brady decided "ok, enough of this... let's win" and got his offense moving. Like him or hate him, that's what he has the ability to do. I didn't watch the halftime show at all, I saw the list of performers and changed the channel as soon as the half ended. Turned back to the game in time for the second half kickoff. It's the Super Bowl and the end of football until September so I'm not unhappy I watched but the food was definitely the high point. 

• Like 2